Yipee! It’s a Hubless Skateboard!

Calling all ye skateboard enthusiasts to check out this lovely FreeRider SkateCycle (love the complex name!), a self propelled hubless skate that allows you to rule the flat ground and any skate park! The features include 9-inch polyurethane hubless wheels, weighs 7.3 lbs, easy folding system, solid aluminum frame, durable composite body parts, and two slip-resistant footboards. The wheels are connected via a double-jointed, twisting axle, which allows the rider to twist their body and move their feet inwards and outwards, to propel the board forwards.

Just because you loved this so much, the skateboard can be actually bought for $149.95. That’s right….it’s not a concept, but the real thing!

Designers: Antonio Meze & Brooklyn Workshop

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

• Mark Stokes says:

Not a very good design really. What do skateboarders do? They jump and spin the board which means their feet need to come out. Not possible with this. Bad idea,

• Derek says:

Well its not exactly a skateboard now is it. Its more like the wave board except your feet are covered. Your feet dont need to leave the board to propel yourself forward. Take a look at snowboarding…the tricks will be similar to that. Sick design, i plan to get one.

• Mark Stokes says:

• Derek says:

• Ben says:

Interesting.

However, it looks like it would be good for ollies and nothing else.

You wouldn't be able to do any other tricks – e.g. kickflips, grinds etc.

• Ben says:

Interesting.

However, it looks like it would be good for ollies and nothing else.

You wouldn't be able to do any other tricks – e.g. kickflips, grinds etc.

• Confucius says:

360, won the red-dot luminary prize in 2008. http://www.dezeen.com/2008/12/15/360-by-francesco
    Same same.

• @ Confucius don't confuse us. That wasn't a real product and was 2008. Every design student has designed a hubless something in their portfolio for the past 30, years but none have made it to production. Don't get me started on the 360, it doesn't even turn! For fun you can check out the flash site to brooklynworkshop.com and see the production process starting in 2001. We have a prototype that was functionally years ahead of the 360 that was made in 2004! I'm happy he got an award on a concept but please don't compare. BTW I've had my patent since 2002.

And for anyone who doesn't know. It took over 20 years before someone ollied on a skateboard. So try not to be so definite on what something or someone can do.

• Confucius says:

Kudos. I wasn't having a go, just making an observation 🙂 How then can a copied product receive an award for being original, that burns. But illustrates a big issue with the comps. As a designer and inventor myself, if I have an idea, i will go to the ends of the earth to find a similar product. If I cant find similar, then I know my idea warrants some form of pursuit. If I do find something, then I swallow my pride and move on. The judges obviously do not go to too much effort to determine if a product is original. Thus often rewarding something that does not deserve it.

I wish you all the best with the FreeRider, which IMO is a nicer design. And all respect for bringing your idea to market.

• @Confucius. Thanks.

When that Red Dot award came out I immediately called the 360 guy just to make sure he didn't pull it from my patent and think I actually heard a gulp when he saw my prototypes. But it's like I said, every design student designs a hubless something, and his is just a concept. He probably got it from the Wheelman which is like a motorcycle version of this concept. But people who don't make things don't realize what it takes to make something work. And then taking it to production is an entirely new set of problems. It took over 10 yrs to do it. But you're right, it does show the problems with these design competitions. I submitted to Red Dot last year and sent it with my patent and production piece. Guess they weren't interested in acknowledging the Skatecycle, thereby exposing the fact that they gave out an award to a concept and didn't do any fact checking if this already existed. I still don't understand why they would give an award to a concept that can't turn. You would think judges would see those kind of things. I'm Ok with it though, I've got the goods, along with the blood sweat and tears! Also have all the video, pictures, documents and a patent that pre-dates all these products that have come out while I was working like an underground mole on the Skatecycle.

Happy to have the product out there now. I'm OK with the haters. That's the nature of the internet. The Skatecyle may not be for everyone but it sure is a lot of fun.

Take care,

• Chris says:

Brooklyn Workshop, where the link to buy it. Some sites say its for sale for $149.00?

Want to buy it so I can try it. 🙂

Chris_Bart2000@yahoo.com

• Confucius says:

Same same.

• Confucius says:

• @Confucius. Thanks.

Take care,

• Greenish says:

Looks jazzy, but performing stunts will be tricky.
    Midst of stunt or after the stunt, resting the foot back on the board is difficult

• Greenish says:

Looks jazzy, but performing stunts will be tricky.

• Greg says:

The freerider has a unique joints and torsion bar combination which enables you to propel your self forward without putting your feet down on the ground. So it's not here to take the place of the skateboard. It's a different vehicle.

• Greg says:

• derhasi says:

absolutely awesome..must be great fun ridin that thing in the city…f*#k the haters, they just don't understand!

• derhasi says:

• Spartacus says:

It's not very original, and seems limiting.

• Spartacus says:

It's not very original, and seems limiting.

• faye67 says:

the entry of 2008 reddot concept award ?????

• faye67 says:

the entry of 2008 reddot concept award ?????

• Park bo young says:

great~!

• Park bo young says:

great~!

• @androidum says:

i see alot of broken ancles 😉 … i like the design, but mh, i prefer snakeboards, if its about the possibilities

• @androidum says:

• Chris says:

Where can I buy the hubless skateboard? anyone know the web address?

• Chris says:

Where can I buy the hubless skateboard? anyone know the web address?

• Chris says:

Want to buy it so I can try it. 🙂
    Chris_Bart2000@yahoo.com

• Björn says:

Its not a hubless skateboard.. It's a hubless snakeboard.
    Cool to see it work but it does lack a lot of flexibility. You can basically only pop wheelies or spin on it. Thats a bit problematic when it is not possible to grind, boardslide, tail/nosslide, which was possible on the snakeB.

But kudos for making it happen without skimping to much on the Aestethics. Hope it goes well so the next generation offers some more versatility.

• Björn says:

Its not a hubless skateboard.. It's a hubless snakeboard.

• Koki says:

I don't think they should have advertised this in the "xtreme skateboarderz" kind of fashion. It looks very futuristic and due to the compact design could be great for traveling in the city or on a college campus. I for one can testify that walking from class to class can be tedious and if you have something so compact and easy to travel with, I'd gladly spend 150$ vs. buying a clunky old bicycle (not to mention looking for a place to lock your bike, and the lock itself!). I can imagine when something similar to this takes over the bicycles of yesteryear.

• Koki says:

I don't think they should have advertised this in the “xtreme skateboarderz” kind of fashion. It looks very futuristic and due to the compact design could be great for traveling in the city or on a college campus. I for one can testify that walking from class to class can be tedious and if you have something so compact and easy to travel with, I'd gladly spend 150$ vs. buying a clunky old bicycle (not to mention looking for a place to lock your bike, and the lock itself!). I can imagine when something similar to this takes over the bicycles of yesteryear.

• larvatrong says:

its like skateboarding but without the fun of skateboaurding…. it doesnt even look confy

• larvatrong says:

• Yuluyans says:

So sick of the hubless fan-boys… hubless bikes/cars/skates/wheelchairs… bad after bad designs, chasing some aesthetic fantasy. That is so backwards.

• Yuluyans says:

• kim mannus says:

I think should have been marketed towards younger crowd and not the skate board community. People who love to skateboard are not going to want to buy this product. Very limiting do what you can do with this as far as tricks. Being locked into a device while doing stunts with a hard surface below seems very hazardous.

• kim mannus says:

• jos says:

Meh, it's cool.

• jos says:

Meh, it's cool.

• gaiannathefirst says:

looks like these too, http://www.inventist.com/orbitwheel/

• gaiannathefirst says:

looks like these too, http://www.inventist.com/orbitwheel/

• last few days our group held a similar discussion about this topic and you illustrate something we have not covered yet, thanks.

– Kris

– Kris

• warman0712 says:

Why is everyone such a critic. This isn't suppose to take the place of a skateboard or even be anything like a skateboard (it was kind of their fault that they advertised it like that but what ever). This is more like for people who like to snowboard like me. Have the feeling of being strapped in and be able to practice in the summer without having to buy a snow-maker and all that stuff. Stop complaining about something that isn't going to affect you and let the people who like this kind of thing like it without having to defend it all the time. I plan to buy it when have the money.

• warman0712 says:

• Joel says:

Are there any advantages or different feel to this over freeline skates, orbit wheels, or xliders (x-gliders)? Asking honestly, might get one if there is some difference. How hard is it to work uphill? It is pretty tough going uphill with freelines, is it easier with these?

• Sam92459 says:

I just to introduce myself to everyone. I’m a nice person whom loves being a help to other guys and gals. So… hello every body! Nice to meet you all

• Mick Crush says:

This is a great product, fantastic design and hours of fun!