Bio Robot Refrigerator

As promised, here are the details on the Electrolux Bio Robot Refrigerator, a concept that has been making quite a splash in the blogosphere! In lay terms, the fridge is a concept where the Bio Robot cools biopolymer gel through luminescence. A non-sticky gel surrounds the food item when shoved into the biopolymer gel, creating separate pods. The design features no doors or drawers, and the food items are individually cooled at their optimal temperature thanks to the robot. And since it can take any orientation (hung vertically, horizontally, and even on the ceiling), and can be modified in size, you can fit it in any apartment.

More details in the images…

Designer: Yuriy Dmitriev

bio_robo

bio_robo2

Electrolux Bio Robot Refrigerator by Yuriy Dmitriev

Electrolux Bio Robot Refrigerator by Yuriy Dmitriev

bio_robo5

bio_robo6

bio_robo7

• jeffy says:

to cool something you subtract energy from the object,so since the object isn’t gaining any energy due to the uv light blockers no energy is added keeping temp down in the food.

• Magia_San says:

I apologise, but reading through all of these comments something inside snapped and I simply had to reply. Sorry for it being yours BUT…

‘Cooling process does not require energy’ Whilst this does imply no energyit in no way implies that the whole fridge doest not use energy. The fridge would use less energy, as they have stated, this just states that only the one aspect requires no extra energy. Which is more than possible, even using only ways of cooling that were available before the discovey of electricity, is completely possible. The other aspects or processes will need enegy, and this does not contradict what has been said.

• Magia_San says:

Nice, absolutely love the name by the way, but is it you or others?

• Magia_San says:

Actually, though I have been trying and trying and can’t remember his name. There was a guy who made a time machine and showed it to government, and he tested it on himself, being confident in it. And he stepped through and actually disappeared, to be unseen again, this much is true. Obvioulsly he may have completely obliterated himself, which is a more than popular belief, but there is a small possibility that he was tranported through time or space. Sure it is highly unlikely, but actually by my calculations, well okay not mine but I am in agreeance, there is a very small possibility that time/space travel IS possible. Even by Earthen knowledge. Although it may be a less than 0.01% possible, a small chance is still a chance. I should mention that this is something I have been working on quite heavily.

Off topic I know, and for that I apologise. But just leaving an opinion where I have one.

• Dave says:

You’re referring to Eienstein’s a theory of Relativitey. I’d hope you’d Benin agreance.

• Ray says:

Forget the law of thermodynamics — what about the law of gravity? All the food and goo would soon end up on the floor.

• Anon says:

Um… You all should know that the recent discovery of neutrinos being faster then light and being a particle at that. Make basically all you’re claims that ” its impossible ” simply wrong. Have a nice day, hope you rediscover innocence as i have.

• Anon says:

You should know that the law of physics have recently been changed. Neutrinos are now the fastest thing in the universe that we know of not light. You may have a MSc. But by no means does that mean that your knowledge is absolute.

• Anon says:

Hey search neutrinos faster then light, then get back to me about you’re laws of nature ;D

• Luna says:

Hey!!!
    If any of you had ever researched further than this page you would know that this was only a design for a competition & not based on reality. The competition was to redesign modern appliances FOR THE FUTURE!!!

• Kobuko says:

One possible breakthrough in technology and everyone who has taken a high school chemistry class thinks they’re an expert. I can see how this could possibly work thanks to the people that know enough about the scientific principles to somewhat explain it. If we as a race didn’t chase after ideas that were considered impossible by the majority, we wouldn’t have a lot of the luxuries that we have today. If this idea becomes a reality I will be among the first in line to buy one.

• Kobuko says:

well when you think about it, if it didn’t travel with the planets inertia during the “jump” even if he travelled a few seconds he would have re-materialized in space. still off topic but one more thing to consider as far as scientific advancements go. Thanks for the food for thought.

• Jimmy C says:

Hmm… I hope that stuff doesn’t melt in a power outage. Still, this is pretty creative. Good job!

• whatevs says:

dude just live with it
    this is boss as
    it works or doesnt
    who cares!!!!!!!11

• :) says:

…how would you clean it? Neat idea,but nasty at the same time.

• Jay Scott says:

At the same time I can use this to convert lead into gold!! Great product!! Definite magic at work since it defies physics.

• Paige says:

What if I want to put a box of leftover pizza in it…

• endercase says:

Bro, heat is energy… simple… We just need to figure out how to transfer it into another form, it’s possible that some day your freezer may power your T.V. or your AC may power your replicator…. Right now we don’t have the tech (at least not in the public sector) but to say it’s impossible is like saying humans can’t go over 40 miles per hour. 🙂

• Dcrvx2k says:

To all the people that believe that this tech is real or ever will be, I have a car to sell you that gets a 1000 mpg.

• Kim Martin says:

Well my big question isn’t about the cooling but sanitation.
    Containers leek, meat drips, and veggies liquify if left too long. No mater how good this fridge is at cooling it isn’t perfect, and things are going to get gross.
    How will you clean it, or will it self clean somehow?

• Joe Brunson says:

If I bloody meat in it for instance… How is the gel supposed to be cleaned?

• Stephanie says:

So I have questions… Does it help keep food from spoiling as quick? What happens to the stuff if say the power went out? And finally do if I stick a can of soda/beer in there will the temperature be 40 degrees like I like it or some other not nearly as cold setting that I have no control over? Oh and what does the shiny green stuff taste like and is it harmful to be consumed? Also do I have to replace it? Guess I had a few more questions then I thought.

• Wil says:

What about cleaning? Veg has dirt on it. Put that in the gel and some of the dirt will come off. You will end up with a dirty gel. Not so nice. Other wise a fab idea.

• Mark Twain says:

I’m sorry, but nobody puts bananas in the refrigerator.

• Yomama says:

I love ice cold bananas….. What chemicals will leech into my food? What if a small child ate the gel?

• Yomama says:

I love ice cold bananas. What chemicals will leech into my food? What if a small child ate the gel?

• Happy says:

It looks cool. I don’t care if it works or not. 😀

• Lauren says:

Yeah, fuck everyone who’s first language isn’t English, amirite? Moron.

• endercase says:

I assume the gel would be edible… seeing as it would be a Bio gel powered fridge… I don’t think there would be any harmful chemicals, but you might have to feed the fridge every now and again…

• Shannon says:

you guys are all idiots.

• kara says:

I could see my two year old picking all the green goo off little by little and finding it all over the house

• Kulpepper says:

How does one clean it. I have animals…will they eat the gel. And hairballs…will they stick to the gel. And kids…how will it be safe for kids…thinking this is not such a great idea…just sayin….

• candip says:

Wouldn’t the goo get yucky over time with bits of food? I don’t know if I’d want to put vegis or fruit in the same goo as raw meat either. Besides you’d still have to have a seperate freezer for ice or fridge for drinks. Just not practical to me…. maybe just a small one for fruits and vegis thats it.

• justamom says:

wow I feel like I stepped into an episode of Big Bnag Theory…and I’m Penny. It looks dumb…where does the Milk go? Dumb. Have fun being mean to each other over a stupid fridge.

• Kelsey H. says:

Where can Iget this? How much?

• Dianna says:

What are the safety concerns when applied to children putting their faces in the gel or a family pet???
    Do the bio robots identify a living being inside the gel and set off an alarm?

• Evan says:

Biorobot? It just sounds like an anti-Stokes shifting medium to me. Although, that doesn’t preclude its exotic nature.. Or cost. Interesting idea.

• Katie says:

Am I the only one more concerned over the fact that someone put bananas in the fridge? Bananas go mushy and brown when stored in a cold environment; my sister and I put them in the freezer all the time to make them soft and easier to mix into banana bread. These bananas will go bad if the fridge really works…

• Amanda says:

Actually they didn’t put bananas in the fridge. None of the foods real, the very fist thing i noticed was that the fish is 2D as well s the pineapple. Having gone to culinary school it looks like they took a cut out of one of our product knowledge posters. I also believe that the hand is computer generated because if you hold an object and stick your hand in gel it would form in the shape of your fingers as well.

• :( says:

YOU TEASED ME!!!! I THOUGHT THIS THING EXISTED NOW BUT IT DOESN’T. I CAN’T WAIT TILL THIS COMES INTO EXISTENCE. I LIKE HEARING MYSELF TALK CAN YOU TELL?

• Josh says:

As someone who has studied thermodynamics at university I can tell you that the design does not “violate any laws of thermodynamics” as people are saying and certainly not the Second law as claimed. The second law deals with entropy of a closed system and as this system is converting waste heat energy into light and spewing this light out into the environment it most certainly isn’t closed. Indeed an implication of the second law allows for this principle to work.

In theory the physics behind this is perfectly sound (though I can’t speak for the nanotechnology, I have no idea in that regard)

Any questions, let me know…

• maps.org says:

It’s difficult to find experienced people in this particular subject, but you seem like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

• Devilliers says:

Should definitely get one cause we can’t find anything in our fridge now:-) 🙂