Thin When Empty

It’s just an idea that can get better if refined; I’m talking about the Hungry Batteries. They’re not any power-chomping monsters, but rechargeable batteries that get slimmer and slimmer as they run out of juice. Essentially providing you a visual aid to indicate recharging time! The highlight being, easy removal from the cramped confines of a battery-house. No news on what kind of materials to be used for the casing, but I guess some kinda foam / sponge will do.

Designer: Mac Funamizu

Hungry Batteries – Rechargeable Batteries by Mac Funamizu

hungry_battery2

hungry_battery3

hungry_battery4

• Gunnar Tveiten says:

Batteries aren’t, infact, empty inside the shell, you know… No, not even when they’re discharged.

The only way this could work, would be to make an A-cell, with the energy-content of a D-cell, and the rest of the casing just being empty.

But sacrificing two thirds of your battery-life, in order to be able to look at the battery, and see that it’s empty (which you can’t anyway, because batteries are typically hidden inside gadgets), seems like a poor deal to me.

• Why would any user want a battery that holds less charge because of a gimmick like this? There’s no space to waste in a battery, users always want to get as much power out of it as possible.

I think I’ve said this before: if you (a design student) want to re-design something that has its origins in another field, you REALLY need to speak to someone in that field before trying to “improve” it. A sophomore student in electrical engineering would know better than this.

• Roge says:

I don’t think the idea is that they hold less charge, but give an indication that they are running out of charge by becoming slimmer. Interesting idea, but wouldn’t work as nothing a physically ‘used up’ when draining a battery (well, on an electron-scale level yes, but nothing on a scale to cause any visible shrinkage).

• Ideas are no good if they directly contradict reality! The charge a battery holds is a direct function of its volume. That is why there are different cell sizes (AA, C, D) in the first place. Yes, there are different battery chemistries (Alkaline, NiMH, LIon), but for any one of those, the charge/volume relationship is real.

• reality says:

i know already when the batteries are dead. the item does not work..! this is a really bad idea.

• Mike says:

I hope you realize that’s not how electrons work.

• uhh says:

also he’s got the AA and D batteries mixed up. AAs are not bigger than Cs.

• Hunter says:

lipos expand when fully chaged. this IS plausible.

• IT Rush says:

Hmm, it gets slimmer as they run out of juices.. and then once it's full, it goes thicker again?

• IT Rush says:

• These should be focused minecraft free download on boosting
    your gold/elixir producers. For beginners or those unfamiliar with the game allow you to take the clan castle to level five.
    Of course, if they managed to go through the walls, this is Flammy,
    and welcome to part one of my brand new Letís Play
    series. Hey what’s up guys, It’s Hatchling from Clash Of Clans Cheats.
    With three terms, we factor. What’s the scope of our business?
    Instructions To Use Clash Of Clans Cheats And Hack Tool 100% Working.

• Regena says:

Call of Duty Black Ops Cheats from Game – Guide
    – Dog as provided earlier installments, and will be publicized by Activision.

A few Black Friday Countdown deals can also be found in the
    following link from Amazon. One of the fans of the video game mentioned
    that you simply have to reset the system before then or any over
    save points in order to get rid of the cash handouts
    from the hackers.

• Hi I am so delighted I found your website, I really
    found you by accident, while I was searching on Yahoo for
    something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a fantastic post and a
    all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb b.

• Just want to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is
    just great and that i can assume you are knowledgeable in this
    subject. Well together with your permission let me to take hold of your RSS feed to stay up
    to date with drawing close post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.