Never Singe Another Garment

As a new bride, it was expected from me to know how to manage all the household chores. The spoilt brat that I was, I didn’t even know how to iron clothes. Yes, the expected happened I burned many of my husband’s shirts, mainly because a telephone call or a whistling pressure cooker would grab my attention. I’d leave the iron right on the garment and come back to a gaping burnt hole! The Roly Poly Iron would have saved me a lot of clothes thanks to a built-in weight mechanism.

What the added weight to the handle does, is that it rocks the iron back to a standing position, when not pressed down.

Gripping the handle triggers off the surface sensors to roll the weight within, forward. And when you release your grip from the handle, the weight gently rolls back, moving the iron to a standing position.

Roly Poly Iron…way to go!

Designer: Wonkook Lee

Roly Poly Iron by Wonkook Lee

rolypoly_iron02

rolypoly_iron03

rolypoly_iron04

rolypoly_iron05

• Alexi says:

This is so neat! Wish I had one…. the design and functionality is just awesome.

• Hartigan says:

Needs water compartment…otherwise will not work.

• ut not very much thought through and bad execution!

• phi says:

wtf is a human body detection sensor… and why should i need it? i have to press it down anyway when i want to iron. way to complicated for this simple idea.
    nice idea.. but not very much thought through and bad execution!
    designers on yanko build their first idea in cad and through it out onto a blog! spend a little bit more time evaluating your ideas, please!

• Wonkook Lee says:

Thanks for your advise, i’ll reconsider about my concept… The reason that submit my design to yanko is to search a problem and improve whatever design, or concept.
      anyway, thanks! 🙂

• Alberto Fochesato says:

Dear Mr. Lee,
        my name is Mr. Fochesato from CTC Technology Italy, a company that sell small electronic appliiances in the distrubutor channel in Italy.
        I saw on this website the Roly Poly Iron and our company is interested to know the developing situation about this product and if is possible to start a cooperaton to develop it.
        Thank you for you cooperation.
        Best regards,
        Alberto Fochesato

• D says:

Yanko is seriously decreasing the quality of posts … It starts to be demotivating to visit your web site … Please choose better what u publish…

• Wonkook Lee says:

Haha, i agree that. i apologize for decreasing quality of posts. I just wanna evaluate my design in other perspective. thanks for your reply 🙂

• Confucius says:

Kudos. Your handling it well. Don’t apologize though, its not a bad design and it has its merits. And I’m one of the the biggest critics of them all.

I do agree with phi regarding the simplicity. I think its over-designed: you could achieve the same effect by having a slightly heavier weight balance on the rear of the pivot point. It doesn’t need a ‘human sensor’.

• mif991 says:

The basic idea is really good. You could add a water compartment easily with minimal restyling. The shape is beautiful. Good job Mr. Lee.

• Kevin says:

Where are the wires ?

• Manish says:

This is not only a good idea but a very useful one too…

• ut not very much thought through and bad execution!

• Kim says:

funny!

• Jason says:

Don’t let all the naysayers discourage you. The concept is a good one and, while the execution could do with a little more thought, it still a valid idea.

I like the minimalist form although you may want to refine the shape some more- e.g. where the front of the handle intersects the base. It’s a better idea to sketch what you want rather than relying on CAD if you are not too skilled in making the software do what you want yet.

As others have mentioned – if it’s a steam iron you will need space for water and a filling method.

Also, try to think a bit more about how the product will be made, including parts and part lines. You can look at existing irons to see how they make the handle section.

• Wonkook Lee says:

I’m very appreciate to you!thanks for your helpful advices.. Next time, i’ll show the huge considered concept to everyone. see ya!

• Th Kremers says:

It is a really good idea, i like it! To have a little comment foor you to improve, a human body detection sensor is in my opinion really expensive for an iron. The design is nice minimalistic.

Visualizations are also very nice, the way i love them!

Keep up the good work!

Gr. T

• Wonkook Lee says:

OMG,i didn’t catch that. I’ll research for similar things to my concept thoroughly in next time. thanks for notice that! 🙂

• decaPODA says:

Hey budyy.. 🙂
        congrats for such a simple design, this is the first thing came to my mind when i first saw the very first sketch(rendering)and the “punch me toy” combined with the iron .. i like’d the idea there..
        though as soon as i glide down..i started feeling that those sensing and weight shifting up and down are lill’ force and as u defended yourself, really nice :)good way to put stuff up for feedback..

i would have let the original “punch me”toy concept there without sensing device and stuff..let it jump back on its own and let the user handle the weight to work it up..

i dont think it is a bad idea.

cheers.

• Wonkook Lee says:

Thanks for everyone!(whatever admirers or naysayers or people who has insight) I’m a designer who heading for beyond the my own limit, although i’m not a good designer. I grow up everyday by criticism like plant that grow through water feeding. anyway, thanks for every single person, I’ll revisit someday with great design(may be its not). Till then, I hope you happy everyday. Bye!

• MikeKear says:

Wonkook I think you’re on to something here. Dont sorry about that other design – it would never sell – look at hand angle when actually ironing. Who on earth would want that??

I think if you work on v2.0 of this design you’re onto something. Deal with the other common problems with ironing-
            [A] the power chord gets tangled and twisted
            [B] you need to have a water reservoir and steaming mechanism (it’s not pressure that smooths the clothes but heat and dampness – but too much heat damages the clothes as you found out)
            [C] you need to work on the shape of tip a little – make it easier to get around buttons and zippers and into pleats

I agree with others – the moving weight based on a human sensor is something that would most likely cause trouble when the iron is 5 years old. That would be a sales negative. But what about a moving weight that just moves when the iron is tipped forward? Or when the hand grips the handle?

But with a little more work in dealing with the common problems with ironing, your design would sell if it was on the department store shelves. It looks terrific and that’s a really good thing.

• Victor Assis says:

Maybe what yanko needs is to be divided in two areas, one for real life projects/designs, and one for conceptual/academic designs. They could be viewed all together, but identified, or filtered. Just a sugestion.

• joe says:

good idea,needs a connection to a main tank for water and power obviously,but the physical design i am impressed with.would definately remove the wrist movement and strain as a selling point to the design tho,as i am sure it takes more pressure on the wrist to constantly hold down an iron that is weighted than it does to simply stand it up?

• Dash'n says:

Hahaaaa, this is sad. I hear all these naysayers. Where the heck are your designs. Dude, please keep up the good work.

• Dash'n says:

• shayan aramesh says:

hi,i’m Shayan Aramesh from Iran.it’s very simple but is very fun!!!

• shayan aramesh says:

hi,i’m Shayan Aramesh from Iran.it’s very simple but is very fun!!!

• colin says:

Hi , pls don't copy other people's patent, this kind of solution is figured out by Chinese people in 2006. the original design is after release handle, the iron can fall to stand position to avoid over heating and relax quickly for customer. so this conception here will be supposed stolen. so it must be stop!!

• colin says: