Now You See Chess, Now You Don’t!

So you’re on a road trip, right? You stop at your friendly “Everywhere America” restaurant and order a burger or a taco, and you sit down (with your travel buddy) and think, gosh, now I’m going to eat this food and we’ll have to just go again, without any chess at all. You want to play chess! But bringing a chess board in to a fast food restaurant is so awkward! What do you need? A Mirage.

Yes indeedy, a Mirage portable chess set from the kewlest designer named Yu that I know, Pengtao Yu. Look this thing up and down and note that also, yes amazing isn’t it, that the chess pieces can double as hair clips, too. Play yourself some chess until you’re goofy in the head because this particular chess set is the top of cool.

And buy me one too if they ever produce them!

Designer: Pengtao Yu

chess04

chess05

Mirage Portable Chess Set by Pengtao Yu

chess01

chess03

chess06

• tom says:

this is so ridiculous…
    innecesary technologic innovation!

• The world does not survive only on “necessary”, or we would all be driving fuscas.

I think it’s a very nice product, specially the adaptation of the clips system to the pieces, amazing idea. The projection might me a little too much, the pieces are already a prize winner design.

• p says:

Agree completely! The whole system is cool, but the basic board and pieces are a prize in themselves. Marvelous integration of such a simple and overlooked technology (the hair clips). The case has some great form to it, some neat automotive-esque detailing going on there.

And also agree on the “neccesary” factor. I’m so sick of people coming on here and bashing a design’s validity, feasability, or neccesity. This isn’t “American Inventor,” it’s an opportunity to appreciate, evaluate, and critique the appearance, ingenuity, and problem-solving ability of a CONCEPT from a DESIGN standpoint.

Tom: some of the visual details in this chess set are really cool. Did you even notice them?

• tom says:

by innecesary i realy ment wasteful… this is on the part of the projector only, the pieces are kinda cool

• Derek says:

I’m sure you’ve never purchased anything “wasteful”. Shoot, our entire society is pretty much running (or collapsing depending on the day of the week) on consumers making such “wasteful” purchases. And it’s a freaking chess set! Not a wireless fart machine (which I actually also think is worth the price once you’ve seen it in action at a large dinner gathering).

As for the design – I love it. Elegant yet simple. Could be made quite inexpensively if the projector only displays a checkered pattern, but the idea of being able to play or practice with physical pieces is appealing.

Great job on the design of the hair-clip style pieces.

• ksurrina says:

Technology is so wonderful and to think that it can also be useful for the ladies as well. I know that chess lovers will enjoy this. I would like to share this site with you and your readers http://wisejamaican.com

• Johan says:

Love this idea. Imagine taking the projector a step furter, allowing for “all kinds of games”.. Pretty neat I think.

• Tiffany says:

This is nice, i’m a minimalist and having a huge glass chessboard i have to lug around isn’t very pretty. This design is those and i would gladly buy it.

• Ttry says:

I’m 100% with tom. seriously i like the idea of hairclip like concept. but projector!!? thats one of the lamest possible solution

• Tim says:

i agree with tom and ttry. if it were me, i would’ve use some metal for the base, a foldable one at that. should incorporate the storage of the chess pieces definitely. cool idea about the hairclip though

• Chitrak says:

I’m pretty much up with the design!.. I think the projector is a nice idea .. though I’d like to see you integrate your metal sheet with the computer.. 🙂

• Dripsy says:

I agree with the general tone of the comments, the pieces are fantastic and I like the projector idea not sure about the way it is currently done, looks a bit “how ya going”

Where can I buy one?
    how much $ ?
    and if it is not available now when will it be?

• mif991 says:

Nice job. I have not seen anything like it. I encourage you to re-design some of the other world popular games. You have something neat going here.

• Ed says:

How do you get the pieces to spring from a stable “flat” to a stable folded out position.

A hairclip is basically a 3 legged fork shape when stamped. The outer two legs are put together and clinched together to give it the spring feature. When stamped your pieces out of a single piece of steel it might be difficult to get the spring action in there.

• Ed says: