Coverflow goes Manual

Without getting into an audiophiles debate over music formats, it’s fair to say that for many of us, our music collection still exists in a physical form. Most of these collections I would guess do more dust gathering than anything else. Designer Li Jianye is attempting to breathe new life into such collections with his predictably titled “iShelf”. The iShelf brings Apple’s coverflow to your physical collection, displaying your choice albums in the now universally recognized format.

Just in case you missed it, yes this is meant for a standard jewel case so no… your Burt Bacharach greatest hits box set wont fit. Even if it is in your top playlist.

Designer: Li Jianye

• Luke says:

Meh. It’s just a shelf, and it doesn’t even store a reasonable number of disks. I expected a rack of disks with a mechanical element that would twist each disk into front view, given the title. Then again, this is a design blog, not an engineering blog.

• Stainless Steel Bisc says:

If this was the top of a set of CD case shelves it might be a good idea, but its just a gimmick.

• Stainless Steel Biscuit says:

• Brian says:

ouch. that hurts. as a designer i know thats a common misconception. but we can make things move too! i agreed with your first two sentences and then i got to the last one and i decided i dont like you anymore :]

• Luke says:

I’m sorry, I meant no offense. I know designers can and do work out mechanical concepts, but generally, engineers are better equipped for it.

I’ve always summed up engineering versus design as how things tick versus what the ticking is supposed to accomplish. That’s not an altogether inaccurate picture, is it?

In any event, while the line between engineering and design can sometimes be thin, it’s hard to dispute that this concept leans almost entirely towards the artistic aspect of design than the functional aspect of it.

• zippyflounder says:

A great designer has both the artistic and the engineering well in hand, always striving to become better at both. D’vinci is the person you should be striving to be like, not some “iconic” designer that is all style and no substance.

• cyc4015 says:

yeah, i kinda expected some sort of turntable, too, this is silly and disappointing.

• Carl says:

5 disks, am i seeing this right five disks….?

• jpegg says:

making software 3d product… nice job.

• tiago says:

why would anyone use that?

• powers says:

Yeah, I was expecting it to hold at least 100 cases. Oh well.

• Ernie says:

It’d be cooler if they put that atop a working shelve, and there was a CD player built into the “Now Playing” section.

• Jez says:

good grief! Why would you spend money on this piece of plastic when all you need to do is stand them up on an existing shelf in this very format, and how many people only own 5 cd’s that they want to display. This surely is the limit to people jumping on the ‘i’ band wagon or should I call it the ‘iWagon’?

• zippyflounder says:

2 pieces of black plexiglass, a router and 15 min in the shop…ok i will charge A MILLION DOLLARS (doctor evil voice)…lol

• Eric says:

HAha they so got me! It took me a minute until I realized this was an early April Fools joke! Yanko got me again!!

• j says:

transform all 5 cd in to touch screens, add in som discrete speakers to the 2 right and left cd’s, bundle in SDD or HDD and i am interested.

I do like to design, but agree with people that this is and will only ever be a concept.

• Nice concept, boring execution

• Andrew says:

I feel like the reception to this idea has been pretty harsh. True, it’s not going to hold your entire CD collection and it doesn’t have any moving parts. But I’m guessing that form was more important than function in this item’s creation. I like it, and if I still bought physical CDs I would like one in my home.

• Eric says:

Thank you for pointing out problem number one with this idea – “Cd sales progressively declining.”

• KwangErn says:

I think this idea has great potential!

What it needs is 1) instead of being a box, change it to coloured screens connected to a central controller, 2) a central touchscreen controller that allows the user do exactly what a coverflow can do, 3) a USB media connector where all your music collection is and 4) a pair of good speakers at the side connected to the controller.

Think of as an modernised jukebox. It’s definitely workable. πŸ™‚

• Eric1285 says:

Hmm…I wonder if it would be possible to make something like this that held maybe 100 or so CD’s on a track that allowed them to rotate. The front half dozen or so would be fanned out so they’re viewable like in coverflow and then the tracks would wrap the rest around in a loop. I’d definitely buy something like that.

Yes, I still buy CD’s. I get them from BMG for like $3 each.

• Anthony Gallotello says:

its interesting…what would make it cooler if it actually moved…however I’ve owned 3 cd’s my whole life I think, I grew up with napster

• Colin says:

LOL!

This reminds me SNL.
    Where did the iRack, for storage stuff.

I thought this design looked more like a parody than a concept.

• Man says:

Hahha.. Love the idea. I think it makes cute decorative purpose but not practical.

• Henrique Staino says:

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

• M. Holger says:

I kinda think the point has been missed.

I have a couple hundred CDs. Most of them are mass-produced noise that doesn’t warrant any sort of public display. More recently, this is stuff that I’d just download and forget ever owning physical media for.

But there are a few sets that are unique and interesting enough to warrant holding, and displaying, physical media. To this end, showing off 5 discs on your wall seems as easily justifiable as anything you might place on your coffee table.

Or, maybe that’s just me…?

• steve kayson says:

I think its pretty cool.. but everyone has their own opinions!

• Susie says:

Slick design! It's probably not practical to only hold 5 CDs but it's all about the idea behind it. Besides, it's an awesome display piece to have. Even though if it could hold more cases, people would just come up with another criticism that it'll accumulate dust or that's a waste of space.

As a designer myself, very well executed to resemble exactly like the Apple cover flow! *thumbs up*

So, is it for sale? I would like to purchase one as a gift for a friend! πŸ™‚

• Susie says:

So, is it for sale? I would like to purchase one as a gift for a friend! πŸ™‚

• Niks says:

Can anyone explains this product in detail?

• Niks says:

Can anyone explains this product in detail?

• I found your posting to be insightful! Thank you.

• I found your posting to be insightful! Thank you.

• flex ticket says:

Digital,Slim and best!Keep it up.

• flex ticket says:

Digital,Slim and best!Keep it up.

• Roman says:

Not much like a unique gadget!