This Little Seedling

Somebody should have thought of this a long time ago because it’s brilliant. Seedling by Brett Duncan is a biodegradable pot you can layer into larger ones when the plant out grows it. It’s less mess since you don’t have to re-pot and less stress on the plant ensuring a healthy transition.

Designer: Brett Duncan

• So says:

I don’t understand it, the description is to brief … What is this bulb exactly and why does the plant need to be inside it?

• zippyflounder says:

how is this better than compressed peatmoss “planters”?

• pin says:

is yankodesign getting lazy

• carl says:

surely this already exists!!!!?

• RS08 says:

I don’t see the point of this but the idea surely is nice..

• Lim says:

LOl….does it really works ?

• pepinthewicked says:

Is this just a more compressed version of a normal biodegradable planter? That image is very pretty, but the idea is certainly not original.

• jin_woo_han says:

It will be helped my fathers dream~!

• Brett Duncan says:

Just to help explain some of the questions, the seed starts in a sphere so that it can be surrounded by soil and nutrients, as well as moisture when it is watered to help simulate how seeds germinate naturally.

Each pot has nutrients and soil combined with the biodegradable plastic. This allows for different amounts and concentrations based on the plants growing cycle. For example, the white specs in some of the pots are actually egg shells.

The user can also tell if the plant needs to be watered by picking up the pot. The plastic absorbs a certain amount of the water so the elasticity changes depending on the saturation of the soil.

I wanted to create more of an experience for people taking care of their plants. I believe that plants have been adapting to us for far to long, maybe it’s time we reciprocated the gesture.

• brain says:

Thanks Brett; you exactly answered the questions I had. I think Yanko was a tad lazy on this posting.

• Brett- beautiful design, excellent execution. I LOVE this idea.