Plug It On The Window

The Window Socket offers a neat way to harness solar energy and use it as a plug socket. So far we have seen solutions that act as a solar battery backup, but none as a direct plug-in. Simple in design, the plug just attaches to any window and does its job intuitively.

Designers: Kyuho Song & Boa Oh

• phyllis says:

where can you buy these? cost?

• Amma says:

Once you resolve the technical problems, I would buy one or three, right away. Having a few options available with this would be great..and include an usb cord

• Gebissig says:

A great idea. I’m interested in the 10kw edition to power a whole house. It looks so neat!

• Catherine says:

I think it is a great idea. Ignore the skeptics, they are probably jealous that they weren’t the ones who thought of it (why use it to run your washing machine).

It would be great to run a light at night, or to charge the phone while camping in a dry camp. Love the idea. You keep inventing cool things. :-)

• Tina says:

Awesome. Idea, where can we go from here….piggyback several in a row, can’t wait to get some of these !!

• n0x says:

well, why not trying with a graphite(or something like that) battery?

• Actually spray-on solar coating that provides power while transmitting light are being developed by many companies. See: http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/17/solar-power-generating-windows-fast-approaching-commercial-production/

Who’s the actual blonde now, Fran?

• Heather says:

Hi, I would like to buy one when you have the problem solved.

• Mariposa says:

oh so its a stupid gimmik thing

• Kimberly says:

Will you be adding a USB component and if so when do you think it will be ready ?

• Fred Spagat says:

When the technical glitches are resolved,I would like to help distribute this in the United States and Israel. Let me know how things progress. I can create a huge market.

• Maffi says:

With a USB socket it would power my MiFi which has its own battery. It gets my vote.

• Dr. abraham Weizfeld PhD says:

Of course an appliance is not reasonable as an application, however as a means to supply a small light source it should be sufficient. This is quite appropriate to those regions where electricity is not available, or has been cut off (Gaza).

A lens as front piece would multiply its wattage.

• Mzwandileh says:

Great product. We have lots of sunshine in my region and I would like to sell it here, southern Africa. Send me an email.

• Maffi says:

It is not meant to be a 240v supply.

• Jillymacias says:

Good luck. Looks like a great product, that could be hugely popular. I’m ALWAYS looking for an outlet.

• Demrezel says:

Are you stupid? or just faking it? The description states that the charge time takes up to 8 hours. Charge what? A battery of course… It’s a solar UPS. An UPS uses batteries. This is just a design, we don’t have the technology to make such a device that would actually work. This is something a hipster might want o his window, a normal person with a minimal understanding of technology will just laugh at this.

• João Paulo Fernandes says:

I believe that this product would be a great hit if was intended to camping, or used in places that energy is not avaible. It doesn´t need to work 10 hours after 8h of charge, if we spent 5 hours charginf to use just 1 hour, this product would be a hit on farms, camping/outdoor activities e etc.

• Matt says:

Indeed. Not to mention the extra fuel that would need to be burnt to carry the extra weight. I’ve not calculated it, but in energy terms it’s sure to be a spectacular own goal (and that’s not even considering the ridiculous amount of energy required to make the PV cells in the first place!)

• Martin says:

But a plug that is easily identifiable with a bit of Googling. Search for US mains plug wiki, open the first Wikipedia result.

Unanswered questions (expanding on your first):-
    1) Typical storage capacity in kilowatt-hour units. This would have to be shown as a time versus power graph, as it’d be affected by Peukert’s Law (capacity increases with decreased current draw, a 20Ah SLA battery may put out 1A for 20 hours, but 2A for less than 10 and 0.5A for more than 40) and internal consumption (the unit will be draining its own battery regardless of load)

2) Maximum power output in watts

• Katti Kayvan says:

It is a great product. I am sure you will solve all the technical challenges soon. Happy customers will be lining up to by this.

• Kathie says:

I would love to try one of these and give a review

• FU says:

There are a lot of things happening outsite the US!
    This is a European plug (except UK)

• Brian says:

Abe, apparently it is you who cannot read. In the description of the product it talks about using solar energy to charge the unit for later use. Try actually understanding what you are talking about and actually reading the description before you decide to try and get snarky with people. It only makes you look small.

• Brian says:

Fred…how can you berate people and call them short sighted when you do not even know the difference between than and then.

• Bernedette says:

When will this be available throughout Korea? I’m near Cheongju.

• Bernedette says:

This is the type of plug used in Korea as well.

• mona says:

I’m willing to invest in the concept if up to standards. Then please notify me :)

• Sarah says:

WOW I would love these. As a family of 4 they would be great for charging tablets, phones, ipods and using portable DVD players in the car when travelling or when we are camping.

I cannot wait for these to be available in the UK! Any timings????

• lizz says:

You are forgetting the majority of people who live in the “global south” and who DON’T HAVE A LAPTOP to plug their phone into, or a WALL with an electrical socket to plug a laptop (or anything) into, not to mention don’t have a smartphone that uses a USB…. There are actually entrepreneurs who are earning money by chaining together batteries & solar panels and selling power for cell phone charging in remote & rural locales. Definitely there IS a need for this kind of product. I’d approach Digicell for partnerning; they are building a fantastic business infrastructure for the non-urbanized part of the world (who use cell phones!!): they already offer a wind-up dynamo type charger for rural areas. They’d go for a solar-charger too.

• Luis Areán says:

How many watts? That’s the key question. Plug is continental Europe, you can find converters at Radio Shack.

• Jason Adams says:

No it will give plenty of power to whatever it is plugged into.

• Amr says:

Totally impressed with the idea and ready to buy a big amount to sell in Egypt where i live…So i would like to know how r u progressing on the product and do u think it could be done and when as am ready and serious to invest in it. Your quick reply is highly appreciated..Good luck on your smart product

• paul says:

Ha ha ha!!! just maybe if you filled the window with them, then who knows it might work.

• Brandi in Phoenix says:

I need to own one of these! I am in the US but could use a converter for occasional power. We bought an older home (1946) and one of the bathrooms does not have an outlet so this would be a perfect solution for minute need.

• Josho says:

Learn to read. It is a solar charger battery pack. It does have a stored charge. It is simply charged up by way of solar.

Therefore you are both wrong. It is a solar charger that charger a battery supply, therefore once charged you have a portable power source. Thus allowing you to charge up without mains power. The prfect travel or camping buddy :-)

• Maffi says:

Just because it is displayed with an AC plug is no reason to assume it is an AC unit A plug is a plug! In this solar power unit it is for the DC output of the unit not as some here are thinking AC.

By UK standards this isn’t even an AC plug.

• Phil M says:

oh i do love this thread

solar plug is now No 4 on my wish list behind
    1/ Marriage to Cindy Crawford
    2/ Never ending pint of Heiniken
    3/ being a jockey in a unicorn race
    4/ Solar plug

• michele says:

I’ve going through most of answers and I got it’s 220V powered plug in, but no mention about capable Watt/h.
    For instance, can a plug in a 40W 220v lamp?
    If yes, how many minutes the socket will allow me to have lamp on?
    Thanks.

• sebastian says:

some answers here –

in its current form, the window plug has about 0.25 W –
    this means 160 of them, at least, to power your 40 W lamp.

• Stephen Richards says:

For how long does the fully solar-powered source of energy last, before needing re-charging, when attached to, say, a laptop PC?

• Gamal says:

I WANT TO BUY WITH LARGE QUANTITIES, please advice

• It’s really a cool and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us.

Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

• malc says:

U.S is not the only country in the world..is it?
    widen out!

• Abhishek says:

Looks awesome and must say amazing innovation.. How and where can I buy this?

• Wil says:

There is already a window solar charger on the market that uses USB, for charging phones or tablets.

• Dave says:

It’s use is for cellphones I pads I Pod etc.

• Kim says:

You guys deserve a medal!

• Bakeca Incontri Milano says:

awesome idea but what can you do with it when it’s really cloudy ? A portable battery is better I guess but you have to remember to charge it before you go places :)

• Kirsten Gartz says:

I think it would work when the surface to sun will be bigger and a lower input voltage ? For smartphone maybe it will work with a new type battery who storage the necessary power on a advanced technology !