Power Surge Benefits

Here is an idea built up on the premise of harnessing the heat given off fluorescent lighting and using it to charge our gadgets and devices. The emission of heat is a waste by product from electricity. This Heat-electricity Conversion Storage Device uses a thermoelectric conversion material to transfer and then store electricity from heat waste. Its sharp, stylish design and the application of heat-resistant material are also a unique highlight.

Heat-electricity Conversion Storage Device is a 2012 LiteonAward winner.

Designers: Shuguang Li and Xiaoping Chen

• Etsi says:

If Heat-electricity Conversion Storage Device is the winner of 2012 LiteonAward, why it’s not listed in LiteonAward official page?

• How has this won an award?

Consider the Compact Fluorescent tube is 145cm long (±49″) and 80W (the largest and most powerful tube I could fond on short notice..). Looking at this thing, it no longer than 10 cm (4″), so it is converting 1/14th of 80W to electricity, at 100% efficiency (converting the light it puts out to heat as well, with the black coating on the inside of the device).

Thats 5.7W.

Now, a thermoelectric convertor is 30 to 60% efficient, add to that some circuitry to convert the voltage from the thermoelectric convertor to 5V (for the USB port) and you’ll probably end up with 1.7W of power at the most. Probably considerably less, as most CF tube lights aren’t the most powerful models and you’re never going to be able to capture 100% of the energy that is output over that small surface area….

You’ll probably be better of letting the heat of these lamps ‘leak’ into the structure where they’re used, the old fashioned way. That way it’ll contribute a little bit to heating the building…

• Dan Brown says:

Hello Quintin Smith.
        I appreciated your analogy about winning an award.

I am working on a project as an energy marketing approach and do not know much at the tech side I would like.

I was hopong we could discuss what I am trying to accomplish.

I am located in the State of California. My phone cell is, 805-252-6540.
        Sincerely,
        Dan Brown

Project is a goal to provide onsite heat and cooling for bldgs.
        I also work in the solar industry.

• Joseph says:

This is stupid, put every idea of heat/water/rotating stuff into energy, then, BANG!! We got an award winning idea!

• Dan Brown says:

Hello Quintin Smith.
        I appreciated your analogy about winning an award.

I am working on a project as an energy marketing approach and do not know as much at the tech side as I would like. I do know what I would like the results to be
        I am located in the State of . California.
        Email, dkbenergy@gmail.com
        Sincerely,
        Dan Brown

Project is a goal to provide onsite heat and cooling for bldgs.
        I also work in the solar industry.

• Feniks says:

Unacceptable. Reduces the light that is produced by electricity. A better solution is to turn on the charger directly into the outlet. Install sparing lights, if you have too much light.

• Smexycan says:

Yall needa shut it, let these fools design rubbish, thats the only way REAL & INNOVATIVE can stand out

• Quintin Smits says:

Something else… Besides the technical limitations:

How would you use this? The ceiling in an office is usually quite high… You’d need a ladder and a very long USB cable, just to plug in your charger?

How is that easier than simply plugging it into your computer or in a proper power socket?

• Smexycan says:

Probably the users in the office can fly. Poor user consideration

• lj says:

一般家用日光灯40W,长度约1m,实际耗电约70W。
      发光效率算50%,这还不算镇流器消耗的能量。
      目前热电转换效率最高可以达到20%。
      这货目测5cm,可以接收到的热功率为20W*5/100=1W
      经过热电转换,得到充电功率为1W*20%=0.2W(还不算充放电时的损耗)
      此时由于这货遮住灯管,损失的光功率同样为1W
      也就是为了利用1W的热能,我需要损失1W的光能才能换来少于0.2W的电能,实际上浪费了0.8W光能…..这是赤果果的浪费!!!!
      有人一定会说这是是现在热电转换效率不高导致的,以后科技发展了balabala…
      我想说就算热电转换效率能达到100%,所有的充电放电效率都是100%,用了这货也只是不赔不赚,一毛钱能源也节约不下来。
      其实房间还会暗5%我会告诉你吗….
      就是这种不动脑子的所谓实用设计,才是浪费能源的元凶!!!!
      一个初中生查查资料就能否定掉的方案居然被一群大学生查资料建模渲染做了那么几张图。这期间浪费了多少能源????这样的设计居然还能得奖,这期间又浪费了多少能源????
      大部分学设计的并不具有设计产品的知识,多学科多领域综合的能力,也没有设计产品所需要的前期调研,可行性分析。心中想的总是,我只是产品造型设计,内部的东西,交给科技发展去解决吧。
      很可惜,有些硬伤,在目前的物理环境下,真的解决不了。
      工业设计能力,我觉得是一个国家设计实力的集中体现,大到大型的厂房,生产设备,流水线设计,小到我们手中的手机,做饭的电饭煲,生活的方方面面都离不开工业设计。而这些设计并不是只需要一个现代化的外形,其发挥功能的核心还是它的内在。
      总之,我们不需要这么多造型设计师,
      其实我写这些也是在浪费能源,因为根本没什么用的。

• Quintin Smits says:

Oh, the wonders of online translators!

Your calculations look better than mine, I thought my results came up a bit high…

• If you desire to grow your knowledge only keep visiting this site and be updated with the latest information posted here.