Keeping Your Wheels Secure

The Senza system makes a bike completely secure. The whole system is incorporated into the bike itself making it easier to simply grab and go and also provides safety for quick stops. The handlebars separate into three pieces. The central piece remains in place on the frame, while the two handles lock together, offering more space, and versatility than a standard U-Lock. If a thief were to cut the lock off, it renders the bike virtually immobile, as there are no handle bars. In addition the lock on the rear of the bike is used to secure the back tire and seat post.

Designer: Jaryn Miller

• Fernanda Villanueva says:

A simple solution for an everyday problem! I would definitely buy it! I lost 2 bikes because of poor security systems! Nice done!

• Fernanda Villanueva says:

• TOPRICE.IE says:

This is great idea, you have it everywhere and you will not forget about taking some blockades with you!!!

• TOPRICE.IE says:

• There are a handful of unresolved items in this design that it would be good to clarify:

1. the ratchet toothed extension visible in the third picture is not visible in the first or second. It's unclear where it goes, or if it's been thought through.
    2. The space for the hand grips appears both narrow and uncomfortable with metal rims potentially digging into the sides of the palms. Some design validation and likely materials-work is necessary there.
    3. The rear-wheel (and seat?) lock has three apparent challenges:
    a/ it doesn't have anywhere else to go, so you're still lugging around a big chunk of metal separately from the bike. Maybe it fits under the seat into an integral mount on the seat post, which appears to be a non-standard seat post as well?)
    b/ the locking mechanism is unclear (perhaps designed, perhaps not)
    c/ as shown, it depends on a specific type of rear-suspension bike to work.

Cheers,
    Mike

3. The rear-wheel (and seat?) lock has three apparent challenges:
    b/ the locking mechanism is unclear (perhaps designed, perhaps not)
    c/ as shown, it depends on a specific type of rear-suspension bike to work.

Cheers,
    Mike

• Thijs says:

Yeah this'll work in Amsterdam… 😉
    But it has been done before, quite a lot of times actually. Nothing really ever made it into production. A shame really.

• Luis Herrera says:

Nice idea, but looks like been in a very earlier stage, there are some unsolved or unexplained issues… Like!

• Luis Herrera says:

• hey guys, thanks for the compliments i really appreciate it! and yes these are very early renderings, and most of the issues have been, or are being worked out.
    @thijis i would be very interested to learn about the designs youve seen like this? ive never seen anything and if i can see why theirs failed it may help me.
    @mikebarnard thanks for the critique. the issues with the rear lock that you stated are likely due to the limits of a picture with out proper explanation, but i do have working models using a standard bicycle. your last point, however, is very true, it does limit the rear suspension. but the whole thing is irrelevant cause i recently went to china and saw rear wheel locks everywhere, so i wasnt as creative as i thought i was lol.

• yankofan says:

I love the concept. But I also agree that I would want to see more explanation of how it works.

• yankofan says:

• Ricardo Coelho says:

I was a little confused with the engine, particularly from third to fourth image. How did the "key" and the "key hole" appeard, was my doubt. I had to look carefully and try to understand by what I found (I think) that you unscrew and turn upside down the gold parts. In my opinion, is more importante to explain the mechanism than simply present the final solution in render.

In general, was a great idea, just need a little more attention. 😉

• Ricardo Coelho says:

I was a little confused with the engine, particularly from third to fourth image. How did the “key” and the “key hole” appeard, was my doubt. I had to look carefully and try to understand by what I found (I think) that you unscrew and turn upside down the gold parts. In my opinion, is more importante to explain the mechanism than simply present the final solution in render.

In general, was a great idea, just need a little more attention. 😉

• Ricardo Coelho says:

In general, was a great idea, just need a little more attention. 😉

• Great concept but it looks a little uncomfortable to ride with in the current phase. I also feel it should be displayed and designed for a road bike where drop bars are actually appropriate, instead of this rear suspension hybrid that is less efficient in a city where this would most likely be used.

• Taffer says:

Please don't make handlebars that come apart. Imagine a mechanical failure while riding, especially in a city. Considering the constant torque that riding places on the handlebars, it's very important that they are solid.

• Taffer says:

• shushu says:

although it is interesting , this is never going to work because.

1) it is NOT any better than conventional locks
    2) more complicated
    3) less cost effective

It could be developed further, but I think #3 will be the biggest challenge.

• shushu says:

although it is interesting , this is never going to work because.

1) it is NOT any better than conventional locks
    2) more complicated
    3) less cost effective

It could be developed further, but I think #3 will be the biggest challenge.

• I am seriously worried about the gearing. You would have to have the gear shifter connected to the middle part of the bar along with the breaks and that is uncomfortable unless it sticks out and hits your thumb so you can easily shift.

Also, how are you going to connect the break lines and shifter lines back again after unlocking the bike? I agree with shushu, this all looks way too complicated to be practical. My best recommendation is using fewer parts and making it as quick as possible.

• olivier says:

Hi Jaryn,

where can I buy the senza bike lock ?

• olivier says:

Hi Jaryn,

where can I buy the senza bike lock ?