Digital Camera with an Analog Experience

The last time I bought a roll of film was probably in 2002 and quite honestly I don’t really miss the experience of changing rolls and getting photographs developed. What I do miss is the suspense! Suspense in wondering how the pictures will come out. Did we get good shots? Well, that thrilling experience can be duplicated with Digital Film; an analog-styled camera with a digital twist! Quite clever if you ask me!

Digital Film is an iF concept design entry for 2011

Designer: Park Hyun Jin

Shares 59.2K

• Speechless!!
    My first word when I saw the concept was “HOLYF**K.”
    This is amazing and extremely useful. This can definitely bring to life the age old cameras. I'd buy this in a second if it comes to stores. Please let me know, if it is available and where I could buy them.

• Flavio says:

Me too!!

• Andy says:

Very interesting idea, I see myself using it if there is a convenient cover to the sensor for taking it in and out the camera. Also due to the thickness of the product, I assume one needs to modify the camera to make the product fit in, like losing the pressure plate and some other small parts on the cover. Great idea, love it.

• Steve says:

Nothing new. The idea has been around since the beginning of digital and there were real working models (not just cg design pictures). Unfortunately the sensor quality wasn't that great at the beginning. I've seen people talk about making these lately but haven't seen actual products so basically I'll believe it when I see it. My Nikon F4 would love one.

• Mike says:

Not bad, like Steve nothing new but I do love reinventions of products or spins call it what you will.

• Massimo says:

There was already a concept and a product of this kind. Please people create something command+N.

• Zenit says:

Widely commented “invention” years ago. Nothing new. But nice 3D.

• Melchior says:

People really should look up their idea before making them into concepts, because just like stated before, nothing new.

• DugB says:

I wonder…is the distance between the film canister and take-up spool the same distance in all cameras? Something where the length is adjustable might be more useful to retro shutterbugs. I love the concept, though, and hope it becomes a reality someday…I have too many awesome retro cameras pretending to be paperweights right now :-(

• DugB says:

I love the comments about how this is “nothing new”. If a successful, purchasable product was the result then it would eclipse the failed Silicon Film idea, which is the value here. It doesn't have to be new…it only has to move beyond vaporware. Plus, the new idea seems sufficiently different to be free of patent tangles (disclaimer: I'm not a patent lawyer) and plus, the Silicon Film idea was from years ago. The point is that there's still a need, still a demand and because of this fact retro shutterbugs wont care that the idea isn't new. The best bet for this idea would be to:

– research the patent ramifications
    – file a new patent if there are no conflicts
    – initiate a Kickstarter project to crowdsource the funding

• Melchior says:

the point with these “nothing new” comments is that this is not a new idea, but the article above suggests it is. The same goes for what is stated on the site of the designer. But still it's a product many photographers would love to have!

• Rocco says:

chinese people are so clever…. they steals even ideas

• Eddd222 says:

I'm quite sure Mr. Park is Korean.

• Rocco says:

mmm ok, however their are asian people anyway 😀

• Farfar says:

This was a design concept back in 2004 if remember correctly but the product was never reieased as promised.
    I wanted one as I wanted to continue to use my old classic Nikon Nikkormtic.

I have been using quite a few digital cameras since then but I still think a digital “filmstrip” is cool.

• Farfar says:

I wanted one as I wanted to continue to use my old classic Nikon Nikkormtic.

• Brennan says:

As it's been pointed out every second comment above, there have been attempts at this every so often since the 90's – maybe for good reason, maybe not.

The problem for me, as a photographer who uses both film and digital SLRs, is that film has grain and sensors have noise. The difference is astounding and I although I love my digital camera, I choose to use film for that very reason; it's simply a different medium. It won't appeal to everyone, sure, but the people who still have film cameras around obviously have a reason.

If you want “surprise” in your photography, black tape over the screen is much cheaper…

• phigo says:

the worst thing that this concept won an iF concept award… looking at the projects of the last years entries in that category, really questions the quality of the iF jury in my opinion.

• kellbaldwin says:

Was recently wondering if there was a way to put a digital sensor in an old film camera. Now I know there is.

• kellbaldwin says:

• Joydip Bhattacharya says:

Its great….cool..
    Does anyone tell me that when this will be officially revealed in the market/??cos i'm eager to buy this…
    Pls reply….

• Joydip Bhattacharya says:

Its great….cool..
    Pls reply….

• Cliff says:

Although this is 'nothing new', it's not a "failed concept". Put on your seat belts, kids… time for a ride in the time machine…

Back in the day, this would've been known as a 'digital back', and thousands of commercial photographers strapped them onto the backs of their pricey Hasselblads in order to ease the financial transition to digital. Far from experimental or conceptual, digital backs have been used in production environments for years.

The idea is novel as presented above because it essentially provides full-frame digital – something that continues to present technical challenges to camera designers. When you can walk into Wal-Mart and buy a full-frame sensor digital camera for under $300, *then* you can say 'meh' to this idea. Otherwise, this dream device would rescue about a billion old, awesome cameras and lenses from the waste bin.

• Cliff says:

Although this is 'nothing new', it's not a “failed concept”. Put on your seat belts, kids… time for a ride in the time machine…

• tariq says:

does anyone have contact details for the creator of this?

• sdphoto says:

I Really hope they make this! I would love to be taking digital photos with all of my old lenses too! So much money spent so many dark room hours I am kinda attached to them.

• Lise says:

I seriously want one if it fits my 35 mm film camera. My camera dealer has not heard of this. Where can I get one please and thank-you.

• mrinal says:

Where can I get the digital back pl. gave me the add.and other details of functions etc.

• Andy PS says:

Well, if this true, I’ll definitely buy it 😀

• It’s remarkable to go to see this web page and reading the views of all
    mates about this paragraph, while I am also zealous of getting know-how.