Time is Squishy

Someone said that even a broken watch shows the correct time twice a day. With that “glass half full” mentality in mind, check out the Vague Clock. It’s not broken or anything. In fact it runs with GPS precision and can never be wrong. What’s unique is the dial and supporting intention. It’s meant to signify that time, although precious, is often the cause of stress. The pressure to keep up with our deadlines is abstracted and replaced with a playful distraction. To be able to read the time, you have to touch its squishy surface.

Vague Clock is a 2010 Red Dot Concept Design Winning Entry.

Designer: Sejoon Kim

• MLG says:

Really? I find this to be totally dumb. The fact that it won a Red Dot Concept Design award illustrates what I hate about the design community. Sorry, but it's true.

• ZG11 says:

then don't even look at design website, don't post comments about how you don't like the design community, cus certainly you don't have a sense of design, style or brand.

you are probably one of those people that follows what other people do. Only buy things you think are “cool” because you see other people are using it.

I bet if you see you boss, family member or friends start using a product like this, you will tag along too.

But now that you posted comments about this product, you probably won't get it even if you see everyone else is using it, because your ego is too fat for your little brain too handle.

to sum up, you're a low life animal with low self esteem. A LOSER with CAP L.

• DHDESIGN says:

Like or dislike ,everyone has his own right.You can expound the reasons why you love this design,but it's disgusting that you attack the personality of those whose attitude opposed to you.

• James says:

I agree, the fact that this won a red dot award is again more proof of what I've always said. Awards of any kind are complete bollocks and that a pointless design will always win through over a good one. Why is this idea so stupid? Because no one wants to touch a clock everytime they want to know the time. I've just looked up at my clock, I didn't have to stand up, walk across the room and stretch over my shelves to do it. I did it in the time it took me to move my eyes. If I was offered a red dot award, I'd turn it down. Like all awards now, even in the design world, it has no merit or prestige. I'm a designer and I also hate the way the design community works. I used to work on the biggest design award ceremony in the UK and my god, there were some crap designs in it, let alone the winners. Panel of well respected judges in the design world? Might as well have been a panel of monkeys.

• Damule says:

I agree with you, a good design speaks by itself theres no need for an “award” to proof that you are doing it right.

“It’s meant to signify that time, although precious, is often the cause of stress” Standing up, and walking all the way to the clock just to touch it would stress me even more than just turning around.

• yankofan says:

I also think this is a dumb idea. A design that creates more problem! So you'll have to touch the clock to know what time it is… than why do you have to have it on the wall on the first place? And a GPS for receiving time? My god do some research on the technology. Only if you're going to hang this clock outside would it work or else in most cases you would never receive any signal. I'm just sad this concept was a reddot winner.

• Pete says:

While the design is never going to sell any units, I still think there is merit in its critical thinking about the way in which we work. It looks as though the idea of the clock is to subvert the idea that our lives are run by what time it is and what we have to do or where we have to be. Though anyone could have simply designed another wall adornment of a clock I think this posses some interesting questions about how we let our lives be run by a clock. Maybe that's the architecture student in me who's sick of looking at clocks at 3 am but I think the idea is what is interesting despite the fact I'd never buy one.
    Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

• Dm says:

“It’s meant to signify that time, although precious, is often the cause of stress.” I think it would do the job well. It’s going to be really annoying/stressful to look at the clock and see nothing, and do so until it’s thrown away in the gubbage.

• Dm says:

• Yonggu Do says:

I Think…
    This watch is a very good design. I want to buy one :)

• rodrigo says:

ok so yeah, i get the point of this design. but does it really help our way of life? it seems more like an art piece than something destined to be in the rooms of people.

• rodrigo says:

and what if you press too hard and break the minute/hour hands?

• Marc Adema says:

I ''wonder'' how the clock looks like in time

• Dave says:

Practically, there are serious problems. One person mentioned the annoyance of the clock not being very convenient. That is true. Another person brought up how it will wear and show dirt over time. That is also true.

However, if you view it in the context of functional art and a statement about how we lose touch with time, it makes a bit more sense. For that reason, I do enjoy it, but really wish the designer would mention whether their intention is to go into mass production or is a one-of-a-kind- gallery piece. Big difference!

• kai says:

should not try to hold what is moving