One Album Band Aid

The Skinny Player kinda reminds me of the O+ Music Campaign where the promotional kit offers one song in various mediums. The concept here with the Skinny Player is to offer one album space on a portable – Band Aid-esque device. The self-sticking player houses a play/stop button and flexible speakers. Although I am not so sure about the sound quality for the output, but the idea is worth exploring. The user-scenario is for exercise or such places where you want to keep your hands free, but still carry your music with you.

The unique angle to the player is that hopes to use your body heat for powering the device. Now if this is possible or utopian , is left to be seen.

Designers: Chih-Wei Wang & Shou-Hsi Fu

• Ya... says:

This is wrong. Person's body temperature can not be used to generate electricity.
    In fact, the use of temperature difference to generate electricity. Therefore, to achieve adequate power, must be below 0 ° C(Body temperature about 36° C). So this is a winter dedicated MP3….! it is clear that some designers lack knowledge.
    Red Dot Award …. .

• Chia... says:

I agree

• Rachae says:

I disagree. The human body is great conductor of energy. All someone needs to do is convert that energy we put off into electronic form in order to power the device. It's like converting the energy from the sun, aka solar power.
      It's pretty simple physics here guys.

• Ben says:

Um, "In fact, the use of temperature differences to generate electricity," not only isn't a legit argument, it's not even a complete sentence. Therefore, to even say "Therefore," sounds a little ridiculous. It makes me wonder if Chia's response is a joke. I'd be interested, though, to know what it was you were trying to say.

I don't see any flaw with thinking you can get energy from something that radiates over 98 degrees Fahrenheit of heat constantly. Tesla dreamed of one day harnessing the free energy in the air around us. Though his idea would not have required converting the energy, as it would come from electromagnetic waves around us, there is certainly much less of that available than the incredible amount of thermal energy we produce. Then again, you can always dismiss it as "impossible" and another great idea will never develop into anything at all.

In response to some of the later posts: This isn't a Band Aid. It is a "Band Aid-esque device."
      Also the hypothetical adhesive is not supposed to be regular sticky backing like traditional Band Aids or tape. And as for the hair argument, I can't think of anyone (except the few "wolf-people" who grow hair all over their entire bodies) who has hair on their underarms; finding bare skin would be easy, even on the hairiest of ordinary people.

But you could dismiss that as well and watch as the idea goes absolutely nowhere. That seems like a great attitude for bringing about scientific and technological progress.

• Ya... says:

In fact, the use of temperature difference to generate electricity. Therefore, to achieve adequate power, must be below 0 C(Body temperature about 36 C). So this is a winter dedicated MP3….! it is clear that some designers lack knowledge.
    Red Dot Award …. .

• Chia... says:

I agree

• Rachae says:

It's pretty simple physics here guys.

• Ben says:

Um, “In fact, the use of temperature differences to generate electricity,” not only isn't a legit argument, it's not even a complete sentence. Therefore, to even say “Therefore,” sounds a little ridiculous. It makes me wonder if Chia's response is a joke. I'd be interested, though, to know what it was you were trying to say.

I don't see any flaw with thinking you can get energy from something that radiates over 98 degrees Fahrenheit of heat constantly. Tesla dreamed of one day harnessing the free energy in the air around us. Though his idea would not have required converting the energy, as it would come from electromagnetic waves around us, there is certainly much less of that available than the incredible amount of thermal energy we produce. Then again, you can always dismiss it as “impossible” and another great idea will never develop into anything at all.

In response to some of the later posts: This isn't a Band Aid. It is a “Band Aid-esque device.”
      Also the hypothetical adhesive is not supposed to be regular sticky backing like traditional Band Aids or tape. And as for the hair argument, I can't think of anyone (except the few “wolf-people” who grow hair all over their entire bodies) who has hair on their underarms; finding bare skin would be easy, even on the hairiest of ordinary people.

• lerry says:

looks like another man made object destined for the ever growing land fill!

• dur says:

how u can replay it over and over again? and its small enough store away in a box in ur bathroom or bedroom or whereever out of the way

• lerry says:

looks like another man made object destined for the ever growing land fill!

• Wow what a technology and size is just nothing. Keep on music all the time.

• Wow what a technology and size is just nothing. Keep on music all the time.

• Scientist says:

German scientists have experiments for many years. But still can not reach.
    Two students are reached?
    Joke!! No respect for the hard work of scientists.
    This is not a design. It involves too many patents.

We will sue NTUT.

• Scientist says:

German scientists have experiments for many years. But still can not reach.
    Two students are reached?
    Joke!! No respect for the hard work of scientists.
    This is not a design. It involves too many patents.

We will sue NTUT.

• tseng103 says:

I don't see how this invention is really necessarily. Band-Aids with music?
    What's the point? And it's not like people even use the normal band-aids so frequently.
    I rather use my ipod. I have to admit that this is quite an interesting innovation though; just useless.

• tseng103 says:

I don't see how this invention is really necessarily. Band-Aids with music?

• Greenergii says:

One question about this item. Ok, lets say that it can get energy from body to charge its battery…whare does the player find the music?Is there any room for antenna, for blue-tooth, wifi or storage device? Hmmm… it's a bit strange!

• Greenergii says:

• Somnium says:

I have a problem with the overall premise of your article but I still think its really informative. I really like your other posts. Keep up the great work. If you can add more video and pictures can be much better. Because they help much clear understanding. :) thanks Somnium.

• Somnium says:

• Sabrina says:

Does no one else see the problem that this "stick on and off" idea is so far fetched, it is almost impossible? Say it is like a regular band aid, a regular band-aid stays on the skin for a few hours at most if you are doing things. Now lets say this person wearing said MP3 band-aid and they decide to go out for a jog. The sweat from the person running will increase the chances of this bandaid coming off. Also, what about the volume control? You can just have on preset volume for this thing.
    It's pretty but like stated by other commenters, it's useless and another space in the landfills.

• Sabrina says:

Does no one else see the problem that this “stick on and off” idea is so far fetched, it is almost impossible? Say it is like a regular band aid, a regular band-aid stays on the skin for a few hours at most if you are doing things. Now lets say this person wearing said MP3 band-aid and they decide to go out for a jog. The sweat from the person running will increase the chances of this bandaid coming off. Also, what about the volume control? You can just have on preset volume for this thing.

• Mhord says:

So… What about hairy people? Not everyone has a hairless or almost hairless skin, thid wouldn't sell that well if not aimed to "everyone"

• Mhord says:

So… What about hairy people? Not everyone has a hairless or almost hairless skin, thid wouldn't sell that well if not aimed to “everyone”

• Joshua Ludd says:

Great.. another way I get to hear the horrid music most people listen to played through horrid speakers. I never did quite get enough of that from phones, ipods turned up way too loud, and frame rattling car stereos.

Also.. great.. a smaller package.. making it harder to recycle and easier to throw away.. especially with its incredibly limited usability.

• Joshua Ludd says:

• Skeeter says:

I know this is supposed to be an example of smart design, but I find it projects the complete opposite. Alternative energy? Who the fuck needs that when I've got the Beatles in my goddamn bandaid? How about something a little more useful. This is a joke.

• Skeeter says:

• Fred says:

It looks like a tampax

• Kebin says:

Now introducing the magical MUSICAL Tampon why go through that time of month again, when you can do it with music!?!?!? As an added bonus bass.

• Fred says:

It looks like a tampax

• Kebin says:

• Josh Brain Storm Advocate says:

why do people have to be so negitive?
    it’s a good design and a great premise.
    if people were more positive and added
    to the melting pot of ideas rarther then
    pick holes we’d solve alot of the bigger
    problems alot quicker!

• Josh Brain Storm Advocate says:

why do people have to be so negitive?
    it’s a good design and a great premise.
    if people were more positive and added
    to the melting pot of ideas rarther then
    pick holes we’d solve alot of the bigger
    problems alot quicker!

• Ausom says:

the only thing i can foresee being bad about this device is the fact that how rude and annoying is it to force someone else to listen to your crappy music just because they are near you head phones are a must and even then people turn it up so loud it dries u crazy .

• Ausom says:

• Albino says:

I understand and appreciate what you're trying accomplish here. However, some large problems exist that other commenters have pointed out:
    -The stickiness wears off too easily – why not use Velcro or something that attaches to clothing?
    -These WILL get thrown away in high volume
    -They will require batteries, as the human *could* generate enough power, but it has to be concentrated enough to be useful. I recommend something more along the lines of this: http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-03/tin
    -I'm afraid that people might just become annoyed with having one album per band, having to have a collection of them sitting around
    -Are these to be purchased as "albums" from the store? I can't imagine people wanting to shell out money for an album they already own