Steppy Steppy Clean

How many showers do you know that’r self-sufficient? None! Except what, what is this? A shower that powers itself! It’s called the “Eco Shower,” designed by Paul Frigout, and it’s rather steppy. Steppy, you’ve got to move your feet to make it work. As you step, you generate the power you need to make the water go woosh! As water flows through a turbine in the showerhead, electricity is produced, energy that’s used then to heat the water. Then there’s the blocks…

The blocks that make up the floor of the shower depress as the user stands upon them. As each block is depressed, a metallic cylinder appears through the center. As that cylinder arrives, the foot reacts, making you kind of do a dance, lifting and lowering your feet, pressure pumps water to the showerhead.

The shower does not use ceramic, as ceramic is evil and cannot be recycled – instead, Ice Stone is used, a product made of recycled glass, concrete, and steel.

Designer: Paul Frigout

Eco Shower by Paul Frigout

ecoshower03

ecoshower02

ecoshower05

• Lamah says:

That’s great for those of us living in la-la land, but how about a shower that actually works in the real world.

Hint to the designer: To both pump *and* heat the water requires orders of magnitude more energy than could ever be produced by doing a little dance on the spot. If we could produce that much energy by doing that, we wouldn’t need powerstations. We’d just have people come in once a week to have their few minutes on an exercise bike.

• brian t says:

You beat me to it. I see no attempt here to do even the most elementary energy transfer calculations. TANSTAAFL and all that. Is it too much to expect that these “designers” talk to someone in Engineering before they publish their pretty renderings?

• reality says:

agree. design without research. fruitless..!

so i have to dance to get filthy pube water in my face? i don’t think so.

form beyond function yes. well done Yanko or should it be known as Wanko Design?

• Lamah says:

I knew that this thing could never work, but I wondered exactly how much energy you would need to pull that off. Let’s say the shower is 1.5m high, that the water just dribbles out of the head (no speed when it leaves the head), the flow rate is 8 litres per minute, and the water is heated from room temperature of 20 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius.

That’s a flow rate of 0.133 kg/second. To lift that much water to the top of the shower takes about 2J of energy. To heat that much water by 20 degrees takes about 11,130J of energy.

So, to power this thing for a second, you require the same amount of energy (and effort!) as a 100kg person climbing up a vertical distance of 11.4 metres (e.g. on a set of stairs, which this is equivalent to).

So to power this for a minute, you would have to run up a staircase 220 stories tall! (at 3.1m per story) I think after you get out of this shower, you’ll need to take another shower to cool down.

• This is the biggest BOLLOCKS I have ever heard in my friking life, Please pick up a book from the 9th standard science and try to understand that for increasing the temperature of 1 kg water, just 1 degree we need 4200 Joule of energy. So technically it is possible if the water tank is on the Moon… but oh wait, water also has to come down from there right?

I have no qualms with the designer.. he may be a bit ignorant, but YANKO, you are trying to create an example from this?….

So let me guess, This is what u want the future Designers to be? Extremely Disappointed.

Product Design is dying and Yanko, you are playing a part in killing it.

>:(

• brian t says:

Well, Yanko’s motto is “Form Beyond Function”. I don’t have a problem with the idea of Design looking beyond Function to Form (Aesthetics etc.), but a product without its Function is nothing at all.

I’m expecting comments along the lines of “you Engineering types are so boring, you stifle creativity, you just need to try harder to make it work” – but NO, no amount of “finessing” will ever get past the fundamental energy deficit. I’m reminded of that post from a couple of months ago, about shopping carts that would “harvest” energy from their users … except that using such a cart would be like pushing it up a hill, all the time ..!

• U are trying to mitigate and I respect that. But I will disagree on the fact that Yanko is just about aesthetics. If the tag ‘Form Beyond function’ is in fact followed, and the keyword being ‘Beyond’ then, it means that they differentiate and judge based more on The form, and the functionality is a just a smaller part.

That does not in any way justify the non-existence of functionality, let alone, sheer irrationality.

so I am extremely disappointed in Yanko.

• Candy says:

The fact that you keep coming back to check out the design and comments should say more than enough about Yanko. Why get into mudslinging about them? Get Yanko outta d equation guys….they cater to all people…you dont like this then move on…go to someother post!

• brian t says:

a) I follow this site via its RSS feed, so it comes to me whether or not I remember it.
        b) “mudslinging”? This is is constructive criticism. It’s a product that claims to “harness energy” created by someone who clearly has no scientific knowledge OF energy: what it is, where it comes from, where it goes, and the amounts involved. Would you rather have a few comments here, or a room full of product designers laughing at you? If you were to take this in front of a science-literate audience, that is what would happen. I’m trying to be nice, but frankly, this thing should never even have got this far, since its basic concept is simply broken.

• abrami says:

Yes the design is not possible etc. Designers usually do not consider engineering principles. I want to tell something else. What is it about ceramics? Does the designer even know about the difference between ceramics and glass? (there actually is not much difference from many aspects). And I think ceramic materials are quite green as their rather clean and lean production methods. Also it would be very hard to recycle the mentioned glass, concrete, and steel composite

• notch says: