Who Knew Medical 1984 Could be So Fun!

I kid, I kid. But here’s a product that regulates and records the time and amount of your medication intake. It’s a cute little thing, yes? It’s got a capsule with pills (or shall I say Capshell, the name of the concept), that you load into the holder. The holder then dispenses the pills with an easy turn. Simple enough?

I say Medical 1984 because any time I see something like, “The recording device in the product assists the doctor in keeping accurate patient records,” I immediately think of George Orwell. But this device seems to have good intentions. It’s designer, Steven Grech, intends for the device to be able to help doctors understand if their patients condition is due to the fact that the medicine is working, not working, or simply not being taken. It is a perfect world in which science can have a controlled situation in all experiments. The Capshell helps this become a reality.

What’s it made of? You might ask.

Each part aside from the technical package is injection molded using abs. Its light and rigid properties would be a well-suited material to allow the product to be light whilst maintaining enough strength for durability. All dimensions and labeling is accordance with Australian standards.

Hows it work? You might ask.

The device records when medication is taken, and shows the user the correct intervals programmed by the pharmacist. If not activated at the correct time, the device sends an alert to the users phone via text, or “SMS.” Once in the grip of the user, it opens easily by turning round, revealing the opening corresponding with the time of day. This way of opening is helpful to the elderly, as it eliminates hard-to-open caps. Each days replacement tube is labeled clearly with text and with Braille numbering.

Can I get mine in orange? You might ask.

Designer: Steven Grech

Shares 113

• eric says:

i still don’t understand how this works.

and is that a rendered glass arrow? weird

• M.S.W. says:

The glass/plastic arrow seems to be representing the lid function of the circle perforated outer cylinder.

I would highly recommend to the designer to rerender the image to use a more graphic like arrow to demonstrate product function, instead of an arrow that looks too closely like the material the product is made of.

Question for the designer: The renders show a transparent cover plate over the daily insert trays. How are these attached to the trays and where do they get stored while they trays are inserted into the dispensor cylinder?

The design itself is a nice novel use for the rotating cylinder door/opening concept. Albeit it does look very similar to a change dispensor that Rubbermaid had back in the late 80’s that was included inside a flip open hard case lunch box.

Since this device sounds like it’s primary market is elderly. Perhaps having it sound off voice/music/sound messenges when it’s pill popping time would be a nice added feature. Since text messenge to the phone will cost more money as well as be more annoying to read the small screen.

• Spoon says:

Yea Eric, I still dont understand how this works. Just a poor presentation of the concept. I have alot of questions and would love to give you feed back but the concept is very unclear to me. Next!

• Snowdawgy says:

Looks a little too big and bulky to be carried all day in my jeans pocket, I doubt a lot will use it. I use a lil plastic tub pill holder because it fits perfectly into that tiny change pocket on all jeans. Any thing bigger than that is a pain it the well…pocket 😉

• zippyflounder says:

The only impovement over exsiting products that have 7 trays and hinged lids is the ablity to allow for drugs that are taken more than once a day. Most people that need this are the elderly, so large format and easy intutive operation is of key importance. The data logging is good, the sms function is so so in my opinion.

• Nicholas Mantzoros says:

If old people are forgetting to take their medications then they need a physical person to make sure they do it. No machine is ever going to replace that. I work in a pharmacy and it’s clear that some old people aren’t all there and either take too much (sleeping,anxiety, or pain meds) or they don’t take it at all (cholesteral, blood pressure memory meds) Then you get the rare 85 year old who knows more about their meds than the average 30 year old knows about theirs.

• pharmboy says:

…another drawback… The average senior citizen is on more than 5 different medications (prescription and non-prescription drugs). They may be on 8 to 10 medications per day in some instances as well. How many different meds will this hold and keep track of?

• Lokno says:

Ah, what, none of you people take pills? It’s funny reduce a product to a Polish invention, but this could actually be useful to a lot of people.

• Dane Bendixen says:

I’m not sure how many people over the age of 70 use a cell phone, let alone use it to text!

• Mari Walker says:

This won’t just be useful for older people… there are plenty of younger people, like me, who also forget to take their medicine. Hormonal birth control, for example, tends to be very fickle about when you take it.

• Juv says:

When people in their 40s do get old, they’ll take their knowledge and habits with them- including their dependance on mobile phones.

And the article didnt say the oldies have to text, the product would text them.

• infmom says:

We oldsters don’t need help remembering to take our pills. What we need is help paying for them.

• Steven Grech says:

I'm the 'designer' of this product…everyone chill, this was just a school project lol no idea how it got on here….

• Steven Grech says:

• debbie macleod says:

so can anyone confirm if this is actually available for purchase? I’m working on a product that could use this type of packaging potentially so i’m trying to source a sample

• Eric says:

Steven I’d love to have you designing a product for us, please contact me through email to discuss.

• Dear Steven,
    Can I receive a sample? black or white preferably.
    we may be interested In ordering a first batch for our new désigner medicinal pills.
    Pierre