More Vacuous Crap From ole’ Mac

As Yanko regulars might notice, we post a lot of concepts from Mac Funamizu, but I’m putting my foot down and stopping the love fest here and now. This flexible OLED monitor concept which supposes the OLED material would roll up inside the white stand and allow the user to choose the optimum screen size. Supposing that the material could compact itself that tightly, he goes on and mounts a cd drive behind the translucent screen and for good measure throws some invisible projection technology in as well.

I don’t mean to be overly harsh on Mac, but the nature of design is deriving realistic solutions from the hard fast constraints that exist.  Without heeding the problems of design, it ceases to be relevant.

UPDATE:  I suppose I should have expected reactions like this and I’m glad such a discourse has a place here at YD. I do want to clarify my position slightly as I do not want to seem dismissive of the great work that is featured here on a daily basis.  Concepts are a great part of the design process as they allow you to selectively hurdle one or two constraints for the purpose of creative exploration (lord knows all I have ever done have been concepts). So I hope the dreamers out there will continue to dream and give us your beautiful, fantastic, incredible inventions.

Designer: Mac Funamizu

• zippyflounder says:

Clue train time? Has he ever opend up a cd drive, has he even read about OLED tech, or is this a TARDIS?

• m.kiehls says:

the thing is, a lot of people get angry that unrealistic designs are posted here. But come on, all of us know that they’re unrealistic and just concepts. If no one came up with these ideas, we wouldn’t have Sci-fi, we wouldn’t have novels, we wouldn’t have fairy tales, we wouldn’t have hope. so embrace what is good and hopeful in the designs and leave the crass, rude, and unhelpful diatribes to people like Carl and Zippyflounder, commentators who only ask “why” but never the more important question, “why not”.

• Radhika Seth says:

Till you don’t dream big, nothing can get accomplished. Unrealistic or not, I guess “why” and “why not” are very simple questions that propose a very difficult answer.

• Chris says:

Why would we want to make up inconceivable concepts to give us “hope” if we can embrace the beauty of real problem solving and create an actual better life? True gratification is overcoming obstacles, making yourself feel better with fairy tales, from a designer’s standpoint, is for the weak.

• m.kiehls says:

You have to remember that flight was once thought to be inconceivable. Quantum computers were unthinkable at the advent of computing. And the sun was thought to revolve around the earth. Through questions like “what if” instead of comments like “stupid idea”, we are where we are now. And it’s my belief that concepts like Mac’s and others will only help us in getting to the “better life” faster.

• zippyflounder says:

Flight was dreamt of by many, Da Vinci went to great lengths to study the problem and was stopped by limitations and power. Others worked on the problem by experimentation based on observation thus deriving new data. Gliding heavier than air flight was finally achieved and then a couple of pretty good (self taught) engineers filled in the final bits.

Would that have taken place with out the dream, likely not but then again its a pretty universal dream. Was their success helped by the descriptions and drawings of fantasy, unlikely.

If the designer in this piece had thought a little he would not have made such obvious blunders in the design. If he had said “well, given the current trend in data storage it will likely be all solid state (silicon, diamond, buckyballs) so showing a disk drive is just silly.

I would have been much more gracious in my comments. Yes dream, but by learning more (and applying the knowledge) your designs have greater impact and potential.

• Chris says:

Right. The disk drive just illustrates the hypocrisy in this design. To relate back to the flying analogy, the invisible CD drive slapped into this highly conceptual model would be like designing a plane today with invisible flapping wings. I mean, at the very least you’d think that they would address digital storage in a consistently fantastical way, but they don’t.

• m.kiehls says:

I find it fantastically difficult to believe that you would actually believe the designer had the intention of producing this in the near future. I shudder at the thought of having to sit next to you during a movie like Star Wars . . . “What! You can’t have swords made out of light like that!”

• Chris says:

No, I don’t come to this site to find production goods; I come here for good ideas. In comparison to the other designs on this site, there’s simply a lack of thought and development in this concept. Luckily for you I wouldn’t comment about the technical feasibility of devices in Star Wars because I understand that everything has its place. Plus, even in the genre of science fiction films I think they’d be more creative than to have invisible floating disk readers added into concepts as an afterthought.

• Eric says:

m.kiehls: You kind of spoil your own misunderstanding without knowing it. Since this product obviously was not meant to be produced in the next year, then why does it have a CD drive at all? I really would like to know your rationing of this addition to such a “futuristic” concept.
            Ps everyone, Yanko does review real products too! 😉

• Saltynay says:

I shudder to think that you believe we would still be using disks in this hypothetical future.

• Tom says:

The CD drive shown here is at least somewhat possible, of all things.
    IF there was a solid support for the spindle motor, where the translucent U shape is, a lens assembly/track could fit within the U.

With a bit more effort it could even work as a slot-loader, but I think having a visible CD at all would be more of a distraction than a benefit.

• Kontra says:

I guess you’ll have to read my explanation on:

Why Apple doesn’t do “Concept Products”

• Carl says:

It is as if you dont have the right to disagree any more. You can show love but not hate. Not just in design but anywhere. As long as your point is ojbective and fully explained why cant you disagree, and disagree with ‘extreem predudice’ if you can outline what a bad idea it is. i give as much praise as i do scorn. people only remember the scorn. if all the ‘hate’ was removed and the designer poured time and money into the concept believeing it was flawless it might well fail and fail big. if your design is really that good it will stand up to critisism.
    i dont mind seeing future concepts and the dreams and aspirations of people.

as for this design its a pile of w4nk..!

• Carl says:

as for the disk, this is really funny. what is next from this guy, a horse drawn lambo?

• Alexander says:

This clearly isn’t meant to be portable. It’s also very compact. Why have the device roll up? The notion of “selecting your screen size” is inane – if you’re purchasing something big, you want to use the whole thing. I don’t think I’ve ever looked at my screen and desired a smaller one.

Secondly, I like the projector idea, seems interesting. But why is the image showing something projected upside down? This mockup seems poorly done at best.

• Chris says:

I spoke to my cousin a couple of years ago and he said he was working on flexible LCD technology. I haven’t seen him since, I’m in the UK and he works just outside of NYC so I’m not sure how close it is to being a reality.

• Pingback: OLED Display
  • Chris says:

can’t anyone just make a futuristic design, idiots yankodesign and everybody for criticizing. I love the styling and the idea

• Bill says:

This is not industrial design.