An oval pod to eat your leftovers…aka, Rosie O’Donell

I don’t know why I thought of “Mr. Fusion”, the garbage eating energy source from the Back To The Future movies when I first saw this “Biopod” design by Jonathan Fenton. The point of the Biopod seems simple enough I suppose. From the Biopod creator himself: “Research was conducted via a wide range of interviews with users to gain insight into how people deal with recycling in and around the home. The area most lacking in willing user participation was the disposal of organic waste. To address this, Biopod was developed, an airtight kitchen top storage vessel for organic waste which utilises vacuum ionisation to decelerate the decomposition of the waste before it is composted. It creates a hygienic, bacteria and odour free environment that encourages the user to recycle organic waste without the need to empty on a daily basis…” Uh….ok. So basically this device lets you keep an air tight lid on rotting food so that you don’t have to throw out your stinking trash on a daily basis.

He goes on: “Closing the lid activates the ionising pod – ionised air is produced and circulated inside the vessel, killing bacteria and other pathogens present. (Ionisation is currently used in agriculture to prolong the shelf life of products, as well as sterilising produce.) The closure system incorporates an LED button that gradually changes colour, indicating the decomposition status of the contained organic waste by monitoring methane levels. This also acts as a reminder to the user as to when they should empty the pod. The Pod has a dishwasher safe HDPE (High-density Polyethylene) removable liner and thermal insulated body made from PC-ABS (Polycarbonate-ABS Blend). A 9volt battery is housed in the Pod’s base to power it…” So when it is done rendering your scraps stinky free, you know. And here I was using my garbage disposal in my sink this whole time. I am such a dilettante.

Designer: Jonathan Fenton

• zippyflounder says:

gross overkill, given that most folks take out the trash every day…why not just pop the orgaincs into a plastic bucket, and empty said bucket into the composter,,,,,,,provided you have one.

• Chris says:

hm maybe for the lazy ones like me who DON’T take their trash out every day.
      I’m a single and the amount of daily bio-wast is just not worth the way my garbage stays in a small compartment for up to 4 days… well 4 days usually are no problem but during summer.. man.. nope
      so yes, i would be one that appreciates such a buket

• zippyflounder says:

so being single, and only doing trash every 4 days or so you wouldnt likely seach out or have a composter…or a use for its by product (soil)..get real its a non solution a “sharper image” product (thank ghod they are gone).

• TT everete says:

I always see things like this on here with are too gadgety. I mean surely there is a better way to solve this problem than having to manufacture something new and use electricity….personally I dont see solving a problem, just adding to an already existing one. Like zippyflounder said, isn’t this just a hyped composter and if it stops it from composting then what happens if you have too much trash?

• Cameron says:

Seems like a kool idea, however it is drastically to small for it too be any use, it will be full well before you can make use of the long holding time.

• Berkana says:

I’ve actually started composting this year, and I have some observations. 1) using a powered air ionizer to kill bacteria is very un-eco when you could just make the thing airtight or give it an active carbon odor blocker and an air-lock style input. 2) Ionized air will not sterilize the whole thing, and all it takes is a little bacteria hidden in some part not in contact with the air to make the thing rot and smell like a corpse through anaerobic decomposition, unless the user specifically balances the nitrogenous to carbonaceous materials so it doesn’t rot the smelly way.

The most eco way of disposing of organic waste is a chute leading straight from the kitchen into an automatic compost tumbler, with a one-way valve or an optic sensor actuated door that keeps rodents out of the bin while letting food waste drop in. Somebody design that, please.

• Fenton says:

“Designers need to actually get experience in the fields they design for. This designer doesn’t appear to have had any experience composting.”

Correct! i haven’t… because i don’t have the garden or need for organic waste. However by 2020 the UK plans to ban ALL organic waste from landfill. So what if you live in a flat where you’re outside bin is a 10min walk down 5 flights of stairs? Are you going to take that trip every time you go to chuck out a banana skin out??

Biopod was designed to be part of a composting system whereby the local council removes organic waste and composts it for you. Much in the same way you don’t melt down your plastic to make a new drinks bottle! With the council Such systems are already set in place by some councils but the crude unhygienic bins provided aren’t exactly brilliant, hence my concept design.

• TT everete says:

It says your design “decelerate the decomposition”, so how does that coincide with what you said about 2020 plans to remove all organic waste. surely you want to ehnance the decomposition otherwise nothing will decompose….doh!

• Fenton says:

I see what your saying… theory is you just want to store food in the kitchen, not compost in the kitchen. Composting takes place in the garden (or council do it for you, more so in the future).

• Shannon says:

Was the Rosie O’Donnell crack really necessary?

• carl says:

anyone who composts want their ‘bio-waste’ food scraps to be in their composting bin asap. why? so it breaks down quicker so they can use it.

To my ‘layman’s’ understanding this is a glorified bucket which slows down the process. in a way its like a second fridge to store waste for items after you have used the parts you want to eat.

Composting is a natural return to reuse the waste, here plastics batteries and lights have been employed to decelerate the process. this is insanity.

and as for the design. The inner removable liner would not fit the bulbous shape of the exterior as it would not slide out so there is wasted space there.

i really cant see any advantages to the product that a bag or container with a lid would not do. So would i pay for this item to help a council out after 20% rises in council tax? NO. Would the council give these out to people who live in flats or are on income support etc NO

Perhaps if students paid council tax it might make them think differently…!

• Lim says:

Hey hey hey……… Jonatahn, please do a market research…..

• Please read the info on what both bins do before commenting!

if you read on you will see that whilst one helps composting by speeding it up

The other slows it down.

Composting takes place in the garden not the kitchen!

• mcc says:

Hey, nice design! Where can I buy it? I can see no link to an online shop?!

• Jen says:

We just keep it in a bag in the freezer until we feel like taking it out to the compost pile.

• glen burnie says:

is this product available or is this just a computer image?

• After exploring a number of the blog posts on your website, I truly appreciate your way of writing a blog.
    I added it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future.
    Please visit my web site as well and let me
    know your opinion.