MMMuummmuummuusssssiiiiiiiiccccc for the deaf

Before I get tons of comments as to the merits(or lack there of) of this design, hear me out. I am all for inspiring designers to help people that are not given the same gifts most of us are born with. The gift of hearing is one of those we all take for granted everyday, and designer Pierre-Antoine Bouzard is contributing his part to help the deaf of the world share and “feel” the gift of music. His headphone design called “Shake-Up!” is intended to use vibration to basically pound the crap out of deaf people’s heads. I would imagine that would feel like strapping a vibrator to one’s head.. not that I have ever done that with girlfriend’s purple one while she is at work and I am bored off my butt… I digress. Mr. Bouzard, I commend you on your nice intention.

Designer: Pierre-Antoine Bouzard

• Brian says:

I have to question this concept because it seems to come entirely from the viewpoint of a person with hearing. I can’t help but wonder how many deaf people are “yearning” for this sort of pseudo-experience no matter how well-intentioned the concept was. How does having a vibrator strapped to your head and having it rattle against your skull in time to the music allow for the deaf to enjoy music? Music is more than simple vibrations against hard surfaces like bone and the relationship the deaf have to music should be understood differently than a person with hearing. As for the overall design, it’s pretty uninspired and takes standard cues from headphone design of the last decade.

• ignorance is ignoran says:

Actually saying that vibrations against hard surfaces isn't music is entirely wrong. When a person sings what makes sound is there vocal cords vibrating in different ways to produce sound waves, then these sound waves travel into your ear and cause your ear drum to VIBRATE and send signals to our brain, that is what we hear. When a person plays a wind instrument they vibrate there lips together and blow that sound through the instrument to make music, when a person plays guitar they pluck the string so it vibrates thus creating sound, when someone plays a piano they hit certain keys so that a hammer comes down on a string to make it vibrate. Hitting hard surfaces and causing vibration is what sound is bases for sound and truly for all life. If you taken any science class you know that molecules vibrate at extreme speeds. Obviously you know nothing of the basic theory of music and if you do you need to study soe more about you hobby and/or profession. I've played piano since i was 5 and i am 25 now, I also play the trombone (wind instrument) and guitar. You are being ignorant sir and like my username says, “Ignorance is Ignorance, not bliss.”

• ignorance is ignorance not bliss says:

Actually saying that vibrations against hard surfaces isn’t music is entirely wrong. When a person sings what makes sound is there vocal cords vibrating in different ways to produce sound waves, then these sound waves travel into your ear and cause your ear drum to VIBRATE and send signals to our brain, that is what we hear. When a person plays a wind instrument they vibrate there lips together and blow that sound through the instrument to make music, when a person plays guitar they pluck the string so it vibrates thus creating sound, when someone plays a piano they hit certain keys so that a hammer comes down on a string to make it vibrate. Hitting hard surfaces and causing vibration is what sound is bases for sound and truly for all life. If you taken any science class you know that molecules vibrate at extreme speeds. Obviously you know nothing of the basic theory of music and if you do you need to study soe more about you hobby and/or profession. I’ve played piano since i was 5 and i am 25 now, I also play the trombone (wind instrument) and guitar. You are being ignorant sir and like my username says, “Ignorance is Ignorance, not bliss.”

• zippyflounder says:

bone conductane is widly used in the audio world now so this is nothing new, however with the wide difference in types of defness it is unlikely to find much traction. So not new, and poorly reasearched….

• midnitegem says:

I’m not sure how all the commentors are linked to actual deaf/ hearing impaired people to say that this design is useless. I happen in know quite a few and they all seem to have a love of trance music as they can actually “hear” the beat of the music easily and seriously enjoy that it is pretty close to what the music actually sounds like even to the people with hearing.
    I’ve met most of these individuals at actually trance parties as they can truely be apart of this culture.
    So based on this i would think that any product that does include deaf people in the culture of today will find a home whether it is designed by someone who can hear or not. And just to point out that music to deaf people is all about the vibrations!

• ignorance is ignoran says:

I would also like to say that this would also make an awesome set of head phones for the hearing.

• ignorance is ignorance not bliss says:

• Pa says:

Hi !

I’m the creator of this multisensational headphones.

First of all, it works ! for the moment, it’s just a concept, but, all the technology inside works !
    The vibrator is already exist, and it used on deafpoeples for learning to speak.

All of this project was made with deaf poeple… and they enjoy it !

I would like to add that the headphones includes standard minispeakers for poeple who hear.

• scribbles says:

Well hey…. I’m deaf and I can hear… sort of… What’s funny is that I don’t know why or how except through vibrations. I recently bought tuning forks for this reason. I astound my friends all the time, when (on the bigger frequencies) I can hum to the key of the fork. So, I not only have to hear the fork, I also have to hear my own humming to make adjustments to what I think I hear. So, the headphones may actually work. My only question is if the frequencies can be adjusted to the music. I have been deaf for 2 years. I’m 44 years old. You know, humming to the key of a tuning fork is like playing the lottery. If I can’t hear anything at all, I won’t even get close. If you’re deaf and you can’t hear, YOU’RE NOT LISTENING!

• Claudia says:

Wondering if this Shake-Up headphone is on market now and where I can buy this? I’d like to try this device.

• Mikhail says:

Привет! Я из России, И тоже хочу купить наушники.
    Просто у меня есть ребенок и он глух. И решая проблему-пришёл к выводу что не обязательно слышать звук. Мозг человека очень адаптивен, и может настроится на восприятие любой доступной информации.
    Но моя идея была переводить звуковую информацию в электрические импульсы передаваемые через электроды на кожу.
    Ваша идея проще, и хочу попробовать!!!!