Fully Modular Recycable Trainer

The vast majority of existing training shoes end up in landfill sites as they cannot be recycled due to the adhesives used in their construction. ‘Think’ is a modular trainer concept that uses mechanical locks instead of adhesives or cements. This means that each part of the trainer can be removed, recovered and recycled. Retailers will run a take back scheme offering reductions on the consumer’s next purchase when they return an old part of the trainer. This encourages the consumer to recycle.

The trainer is self-assembly and will come with three variations of each part. Making the shoe self-assembly not only removes the stigma of child labor and sweatshops but also allows the user to constantly update and customize the look to their heart’s content.

Designer: Ben Chappell

• Nathan says:

Good to see that action is being taken to protect the environment!

• Josey says:

These look so unbelievably cool! When will they be available and how much (approx) will they cost? It would be really awesome if we could purchase them piece-by-piece and design our own shoes! What type of shoes would you describe these as, running, walking, fashion, etc.? I like comfortable walking shoes, I bought some blackspot “boots” (look like converse high-tops) because they were made of hemp & recycled tire, while they are really eco-friendly they are also really uncomfortable!!! Blackspot sneakers are also junk, started falling apart a week after I bought them (though I’ve made them last 2 years). This is why I am so intrigued with this product and want to know so much more about these fantastic looking shoes! Thanks so much!
    Josey

• ben (the designer) says:

HI josey
    thanks for the cool coments!! i did the costing and if i could get them into production they would retail at around £40 (a bit expensive) but that will include 2 of each piece as a starting block to allow the user to customise the look of the trainers……. and the idea is the trainer can be bought piece by piece. The stores would offer a takeback scheme and when they recover an old part, they will give a reduction on the purchase of the next piece this should encorage users to recycle the old parts not bin them….the manufactures would also recover material to be used!
    Thanks again….. ben

• Sophie says:

Hi! I found these shoes at popgloss.com, and I’m so so so excited about their release! I’m hoping that you will sell the shoes to a few retailers in Australia because I really think they will be a huge hit here. Also, if the parts themselves were made in a country where they have decent workers rights, I think that will also entice people to spend the extra money to buy them. Recently I have been more conscious of where the clothes that I buy come from, and some of my friends will only buy ‘Australian Made’ products because at least they know that our workers have good pay and good conditions, and that the company who makes the product hasn’t sub-contracted and sub-contracted (ad infintum!) out the making of the goods just to increase the profit margin.
    Just a few ideas :-)
    Thanks!
    Sophie

• gina says:

Ok, so this is like torture – when are these actually going to be produced?

• michelle says:

these shoes sound cool. are they for exercise or casual? when will they be available in the U.S.?

• Joe Right says:

I like the shoes, but I think Skins (www.GetSkinnedAlive.com), seem to be a better idea. Why would I want a shoe with 11 pieces when I can get one with only two with a better fit. I have a feeling this is just a fad…

• Ken Alston says:

I wish Ben and the firm making these shoes great successl! We need Cradle to Cradle inspired products everywhere. We also need them Cradlle to Cradle Certified(CM) to make sure the concept is being applied properly and there is rigorous attention to detail on human health and environmental health in material selection.

• tmcd says:

You should test market them in the U.S. out of Tops for Shoes (the world’s greatest shoe store) in Asheville. NC.

• Love the attention to detail on the heel. hate the rest of it.

• Wow, this piece of writing is good, my sister is analyzing these
    kinds of things, so I am going to tell her.

• Merle says:

If you are going for best contents like I do, just visit this web page all the
    time since it gives feature contents, thanks