The Quick-Shelter Door

Love the simplicity of this door, which provides an emergency shelter during an earthquake. It collapses from the center to form a reinforced tent, under which you can huddle till the shockwaves subside. This door can be any door in the house and office. And if for a moment we keep aesthetics aside, just imagine how many people it can end up benefitting. Love it!

Designer: Sung Young Um

• Quintin says:

So, one of these would be necessary for every person in the building?

I can imagine fights breaking out over who gets to use one…

• Jimmy C says:

The problem is in finding the stability to unhook it and pull it down whilst in an earthquake.

• Rob says:

The real problem is finding any stability to keep the structure from buckling under falling objects. This concept does not solve the self-prescribed design problem. The first slide says “An effective emergency exit is necessary…” and instead, the concept blocks normal emergency exits with a steel tent that has no structural basis other than the statement that a triangular shape is “most resistant to heavy impacts”. This idea of taking one principle of structural engineering out of context and attempting to use it as proof or validation of concept is saddening. This is not a triangle, but a V shape. If it clamps into the floor and the door frame, you can call it a triangle. Now the user must rely on the crumbling structure of the building to provide strength to the shelter. What’s in the hinge that’s keeping it from folding flat again? I won’t go into detail on the dangers of the release latch.

• Emmo709 says:

If the structure is collapsing then is it not likely that the structure fixing the position of the door is moving, twisting or overturning negating its benefit. It would be likely to work on the ground floor.

This triangle only has two sides as far as I can see, so with a heavy force applied it would flatten into a single plane, as it is in its normal door use.

Also it is far from discrete. Given a risk (or cost) to benefit analysis, I’d do without.

• Rawwhale says:

The doorframe itself is stronger, holds multiple people and doesn’t block the only exit.

The door itself meets all your goals… but the object you designed will flatten people and trap everyone else inside. FAIL.

• hunters says:

good idea!!

• tardkiller says:

this will cause more accidents than anything.

• victorious says:

this will be expensive..i will rather make a very strong steel table i will just hide there “with” my family in case its really impossible to go out.

• Teto says:

good idea!the design is really ugly…and i don’t know, just one person can stay there..

• Michael Paterson says:

Dear Designer, go and look at a door. Now imagine it folded into an “A” frame. Now please explain how any human being (other than a baby) can fit into that space? I am from Christchurch and appreciate the thought but this is just irresponsible design.

• Yuna says:

wow!!! this is amazing!!!
    can i translate and introduce to other readers????

• Henry KAKA says:

HI !!!!!

WHAT A GOOD IDEA…..

WHY couldn’t I have thunk of this first

Can I use this idea?????

Best Regards
    Henry KAKA

• I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I’m quite certain I will learn many new stuff right
    here! Best of luck for the next!

• expect that appeared on the official sites –