The Ultimate Green Hotel

The Urban Hotel is a very well thought-out solar-powered ‘green’ hotel. It features rainwater recycling system and a bicycle in each room, to help visitors explore the city. Now the cool thing here is that there is a specific slot in the room to place the bike and you can use it as an exercise cycle. Stored kinetic energy from it gets converted to electricity and helps power small gadgets and lights. If you get enthusiastic enough, for all you know, you could end up renting the room for free! Apparently all your pedaled miles get converted to energy savings and can be redeemed against the room rent. Sweet!

Designers: Lo Li-Te, Tai-Yen Lee, Cheng-Yu, Tsai Zong-Huei & Hsu Song-Jung Chen

• Quintin says:

That would be great for bike-vacations. I’m already envisioning a string of these throughout Europe. All within biking-distance from each other.

Won’t have to carry a tent and look for campings anymore…

• Jimmy C says:

Camping and saving the enviroment: The Ultimate Boy Scout Dream!
    I like where this idea is going. Keep up the good work!

• MDesigns says:

I like the idea, but the hotel rooms look like public restrooms. Can you guys make it a bit more appealing aesthetic wise?

• Lisa Harrigan says:

Obviously designed by single guys for single guys. Between the One Bathroom for 8 bedrooms. At least put a toilet and sink in each room.
    The rooms have no chairs, places to hang up clothing, or even to comfortably get dressed. Even my husband sits down to put on his socks, underwear, and pants.
    Also you sit on the exercise bicycle in your room and do what? There isn’t even a place to put your computer near the bike, let alone a place for music and a book. They need a shelf near the bike docking area.
    This room is so lacking in practical creature comforts I doubt many people will use them.

• arpster says:

Clearly, we’ve gone well beyond our needs. Of course it’s austere. It’s supposed to save the planet and not suck the bloody life out of it. There’s plenty out there that does that.

Love the idea! Keep moving forward, YD

• clint says:

The limited bathroom facilities and lack of windows would make this particularly undesirable. Some of the ideas are interesting though.

• Sarah says:

This looks like it’s targeted for people that just need a clean, environmentally safer place to sleep. to have all the amenities of a normal hotel would seem a little contradictive to their purpose…

• ShawnJ says:

For what could potentially be free, it’s not bad. I imagine I’d sit upstairs on the bed to read our use my netbook. This sort of reminds me of the micro house concept.

• steve says:

“lack of windows”… They have 2 windows on the back wall, and 1 above the doorway. I think it’s a brilliant idea, especially for our digital lifestyle where what’s important to us takes little space. I see no need for huge buildings to live in, as long as we have open space around. In the winter a communal “cafe” style living space would be nice with a fireplace though.

• great for outdoor trips! great room design to! +1

• No one knows says:

This is so amazing O.O I want a house or apartment just like this

• This place looks amazing!! I’d definitely stay there!

• Aidy says:

Genius design! I would love to see more of these inventions everywhere.

• my two cents says:

I like the idea, but they should have the toilet & sink in a room separate from the shower. You don’t want to be stuck waiting for the bathroom just because someone else is taking a shower.

• Well says:

Reminded me of beach buildings for the start, but it wouldn’t survive the graffiti attacks in NY. Also a city government shouldn’t be in a hotel business period. If that is the setup given it is very unsecured outside.

• Matt says:

Come on Jimmy, if you took a group of boyscouts here they’d probably be pissed.

• I want to go, when will it happen haha

• Face says:

This is awesome! Those of you that complain that it is to small and unpractical… foolish. If you want to sit around and do nothing go to an actual hotel that has TV and will pamper you. I see this as an encouragement to go see the city… you are provided with a bike after all. There are seats and places to place your belongings. If you want to use your computer ride the bike to the local coffee shop! Brilliant idea!

• Chris says:

This just makes me think of episode two, “15 Million Merits”, of Black Mirror.

• This is a very cool design. I would love to use one of these facilities in my lifetime. Thank you very much for sharing this amazingly sustainable shelter.
    Guy, Self Defense Parker Co

• Hunter says:

Is the rechargeable battery designed to be placed on a variety of bikes, or is it only fitted for the bikes of your designs?

Personally, I’m a sucker for foldable bikes, which the one pictured is not.

• Mali says:

İ like so much.. I think the need to increase this type of design..

• BJJ Aurora says:

Very cool concepts and ideas. This should be the future of hotel design.

• Appreciating the commitment you put into your blog and detailed information you present.
    It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material.
    Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds
    to my Google account.

• That is very interesting, You’re an excessively professional blogger.
    I’ve joined your feed and stay up for in search of
    extra of your magnificent post. Additionally, I
    have shared your website in my social networks