The Art of Solar Printing

It’s here in concept and I simply love it! The Tanning Printer is a solar powered printer that doesn’t use cartridges. Instead it uses the process of sun-tanning the paper! You got that right sir…sun tan! It seems outlandish right now, but trust me the idea is worth exploring… the design is here, it looks neat and sleek; now let the engineers figure it out!

Designers: Hosung Jung, Junsang Kim, Seungin Lee & Yonggu Do

• ddoggang says:

so hot!!

• Ray says:

Isn’t this just like all those other thermal paper, ink-less printers?

• ale says:

In the “Did you know?” it requires 1 ton of ink or 1 ton of water?

• John says:

You’d think they do a bit of grammar work before publishing this, it’s dew not due.

• michael konieczny says:

Or is it doo?

• Jimmy C says:

Hmm… i see burnt paper in the future. Not too well thought out. Nice try though! Maybe you should use something else…

• MikeW says:

Tanning only works because we have melanin (the body’s ink) under the skin. At some point you have to induce a chemical change to make an image appear.

So essentially you are suggesting the use of thermal paper, and printers like that have been around in fax machines for 20 years or so.

• Justin says:

magnificent!!

• Jason Wang says:

With all due respect, these faux-science/forced environmentalism concepts are now a dime a dozen. Truth is, we’ve had thermal printers for ages, and this concept is nothing more than $20 ideas. Seriously, how effective is a white solar panel going to be? They’re dark to absorb light. A white panel will just reflect most of it. Maybe it will solve “pullulation”, but in the real world, this is pure fiction.

• jack says:

Sounds great. Now, tell us a little about the chemicals and crap used to produce the photosensitive paper. yeah. “Green” like a Prius, huh? LOL.

• Frank says:

Sweet. Now I can print my resume on a Burger King receipt!

• Codrin says:

great idea, when will be available a product like this for people to buy, any price ?

• Eliz says:

Great product!!
    (Dew, not due. Blade of grass, not leaf.)

• Patrick says:

raindrop on leaf photo…the word is “DEW”, not “due.” Just trying to help with learning your english

• Trang says:

It’s so cool! Just wonder if it ever produced yet???

• Haydar says:

Are these idiots who comment “GREAT!!! IS IT PRODUCED?!? WHERE CAN I BUY IT?!?” real or is it some kind of joke? I’m getting bored of this.

• Fuzzy Stone says:

As a portable solution for non-archival printing, it’s not such a bad idea.

Depending on the spectra the photocells are sensitive to, a white surface behind the cells could act as a reflector.

The devil’s in the details, for sure.

• Great idea. Looking forward to seeing it implemented and on the shelves.

• Bo says:

Thermal paper is used all over Germany for train tickets and the like, becaue a bit of electricity is cheaper than having someone replacing ink cartridges everywhere.

The concept is directed towards office documents…

Have you ever left a bit of thermal paper lying on the desk, where the sunlight reaches?

It turns black.

So much for important documents.

• cv says:

i see burnt hands and fingers of small children

• IAMTHELAB says:

I love this, especially the portability of it.

• Lior says:

I have a hard time understanding the following:
    a. Where does it sit? Near the window so it would get sunlight?

b. So it only works in sunny areas, in the summer, between 7am to 7pm?

c. How do I connect it to my computer? wifi/bluetooth/usb? If it’s with wifi, does it have enough energy to communicate? If it’s through usb, can’t it simply get its power from the pc? (and if it’s so low on energy that it can operate on sunlight, than it will require just a tiny tiny amount of power that I can otherwise save by lowering the screens brightness?)

d. If it’s portable, is that the best shape and style to carry in my bag and use outside?

e. As other people asked – have you researched the process of manufacturing thermal paper? Is it still environmentally friendly after you did?

f. Do you make sure it doesn’t start burning the paper?

Other than that, clever idea.

• Interesting idea, but would it really work? It would certainly be great for the environment but I can’t see it being a) cheap, or b) probable.

However, here’s hoping we’re wrong! I’d love to see it in the shops.

• Wow, that’s what I was looking for, what a data! existing here at this webpage, thanks admin of this website.

• Nadi says:

I want one! This is fabulous to take with me to college!

• Lucy Lee says:

When will be available? Incredible printer worth to have it and its very covenience to carry around.

• だがぢぁ says:

Following a summer associated with wearing venture and all sorts of disturbances, currently all of us have to look “back to school” and obtain on with the difficult perform.

• Alana says:

I want one this!!!!!!!

• Alana says:

I want one!!

• jarth says:

Exactly my thoughts. The type of paper to lose it’s content ( the print ) when left in plain sun, to be highly toxic in production etc.

• adeea says:

I do not understand why ppl here say it is gonna use thermal paper. Why can’t it be ordinary paper? Ordinary paper can burn also no? i think the concept is actually like burning, but more controlled which it will cause the paper to become a darker color, so i don’t see the need to use any special paper. Try putting a sheet of paper in the sun with half of it covered, and at the end of the day you will see it has a darker shade on the half exposed to the sun.
    And in the end this is just a concept. Other details will be solved when they will make a buy-able product. like how is powered, how it connects to ur pc, phone etc.

• LFM says:

equipment used — not sued

• Lisa says:

This is awesome. Ink cartridges are such a giant pain in the butt!

• the idea is ok. but it will print what? a document a picture……
    if document …where we will insert the pendrive……..

• The messages are very powerful, but so are some of these pictures. Amazing!

• SEBASTIAN CABRERA says:

good afternoon, I am a Mexican citizen with extensive market survey, I would like to sell your product please contact me by mail more infromación, Greetings

• DJ says:

there were a lot of words that seem to not match the sentence O.o
    we are creating a new technology a much better and faster internet connection. Please do visit our blog for more info http://techsavy101.wordpress.com/. Thanks

• Looks like very sexy body but so meaningful picure.

• Helen Atkinson says:

When and where are these solar printers available and how much will it cost please?

Helen

• Tim Yan says:

Tanning Printer, i like it! where can i buy one?