Wind Up With Glee

Putting it straight enough for you, Wind Up Socket has a timer to it, once you set the duration and time’s up, the electricity supply to that socket gets cut off. For grownups who don’t have many restrictions and can self regulate, this one may seem more cumbersome than anything else. But for moms with teens who don’t comprehend “half hour of TV / Videogames time”; this is booty! I’d only be careful of placing the cords of various gadgets carefully, otherwise its set!

Designers: Dongwon Joo & Jieun Choi

Wind Up Socket by Dongwon Joo & Jieun Choi

wind_up_socket2

• Lamah says:

Every TV I’ve ever used has this functionality built-in.

• brian t says:

A soft “sleep” function is not quite the same: you can always turn it back on again. Last summer I visited friends in the USA who had exactly the problem this aims to solve: telling the kids “one hour of XBox”, then trying to enforce it … get this to market, I think.

• Solo says:

this is amazingly short sighted. How is this thing supposed to twist the cable?!?
    that comes from all the CAD/Render driven design today, mostly coming from Asia.

• Captain Obvious says:

I feel forced to point out, that the socket will only turn around so far, and then it slowly rotates back to starting position. So when the time is up, it's exactly as it was when you plugged it in.

• Captain Obvious says:

• Solot says:

mostly from Asian kids at American or Australian schools, the wording gives it away. This would never get UL approved and therefore never get made. MAKE THE GUTS KID! MAKE IT WORK! I'm so sick of 'concept' with out at least a 3d model all you got is A illustration.

• Solot says:

• sk says:

why do the cables twist? You don’t turn around it 5 times. I think the idea is ok. At least it is a start in a good direction.

• Brian S. says:

without some locking mechanism built in (didn’t notice one), the kids will simply twist it to turn it back on for a “few extra minutes” while mom isn’t watching. so this is more to save energy and prevent from having to plug/unplug appliances from the wall all the time. not exactly a kid timer (yet).

I understand why the plugs twist, because individual devices need individual timers rather than one global timer on the end of the device. however, for some large plugs this seems a little less than practical. maybe have one outlet on the end that doesn’t rotate and you can have an on-off switch or fixed maximum length timer for that one.

great concept though.

• brian t says:

Then there should be a separate key, which a parent can use to wind up the clockwork, and then take away. (That’s what I first thought when I saw this.)

• reality says:

why would you use clock work and not a digital method of timer? you have to pass electricity thru to paower the units. the clockwork, and therefore physically moving the plugs and wires is not the best.

• Fang says:

Yes, you’re right !

• Dood says:

Every power strip I have I keep out of sight. This would be incredibly obnoxious to use.

• Justreid says:

This is a brilliant idea! If you’d find it irritating to use, then you obviously wouldn’t buy one would you! Forget the “half an hour and then bed” crap, this is a great energy saving device. Who falls asleep infront of the tv? Anyone? Twisting cables…what?! From how I read it you don’t have to twist it around like 80 times so I don’t see what the problem is. As soon as someone comes up with a brilliant idea that would actually save tons of energy around the world, someone goes “nah, that won’t work”, yeah, that’s the way the world will get better. It’d be superb!

• Ralf says:

It´s not that bad I think. Could be useful for Coffeemachine also 🙂

• pariah says:

This will never work in the US. The holes are round.

• Tom says:

I really dont see a use for this, if I was a Dragon id be saying 'I'm sorry but this isn't a business, and for that reason I'm out!'

• Tom says:

• hansip says:

where can i buy it guys? how price is it?