A Better Understanding of Stoplights

The way a person becomes smart is to store in their brain only the information that they have to know, dismissing the rest. If it’s written down, I don’t need to know it. That’s what Albert Einstein would have you believe. But not Damjan Stanković. In an ideal Damjan Stanković world, you’d know how long you were at that stoplight because it would tell you what it’s up to. Tell me what you’re up to, stoplight!

Don’t hold back your secrets, you stoplight you! I would love to know how much time I have before I am able to race to the next copy of you. I want to know how much time I have so I can hurry up and stop again!

Truly.

Stanković promotes this stoplight as an eco solution in the following ways: If you’ve got the amount of time you’ve got to stop in front of you, you can shut your engine off, wait, be calm, and turn it back on again when the time is almost up. This not only lessens the amount of gas you use sitting still, but it lessens the amount of crazy madness you have wondering if the stoplight is stuck, or just really, really long.

Designer: Damjan Stanković

Eko stoplight by Damjan Stanković

eko02

eko03

eko04

• creative idea must be appreciated!

• Wow, you post a simple idea and everyone feels the need to rip you apart.

• Michal says:

There are counters next to stoplight in some cities of Poland. I saw it in other countries too. Nothing new, just nice design, but counter is better.

• Michal says:

• Matu says:

It would be great for train crosses, when you have to be stop for 2 or 3 minutes.

• Matu says:

• Jabid says:

Nice design, way more positives than negatives. Knowing how much time you have at a red light will reduce anxiety (instead of '..any second now……') and thus possibly reduce road rage. (also, you cannot always see the perpendicular lights.)

• Jabid says:

• Franco says:

This was implanted here in Brazil in many places YEARS AGO. About 10 years I think.

• Franco says:

• PTOE says:

A little late to the party, but there is one major flaw to this design – many, if not most, of the new traffic signal installations in the States are actuated, which means they respond to traffic at the various approaches, changing the amount of green time based on traffic levels (a simplification, but essentially true). Therefor, the length of the red light changes each cycle unless the traffic is heavy enough the make the signal run it's entire phase (timing out). Otherwise, the signal will go red early to service the other direction (gapping out). If there was a way to address this, I would be all for it.

• PTOE says:

• Brady says:

All these new lights would only work for traffic systems where light switching is a factor of time alone. What happens when we integrate other inputs like weight sensors or cameras to keep a light green when no cross traffic is waiting?

• Brady says:

• yan says:

i think it’s enough for a driver to know when to stop, slow down, or go.

if i see that i only have 3 seconds left to pass the green light, i’ll definitely race through it. it could be dangerous too.

• yan says:

i think it’s enough for a driver to know when to stop, slow down, or go.

• Dylan says:

I thought traffic lights changed based on how many cars are waiting? not my time

• Sorry but that is just too much work. I'd rather listen to the music in my car then start and stop the car.

• Ford DFW says:

I think this stoplight is good because it lets people know how much time we have left before it turns green. However, it’s not realistic and probably not good for your car to turn it off every time the light turns red.

• This is a pretty cool idea. There have been times when I was at a stop light and thought it was broken because it was taking so long. This function at least lets us know how much time we’ve got left so it’s pretty cool.

• It’s a great idea but would cost too much to implement in the U.S We are in a major budget deficit

• E. de Jong says:

It online gonna cost us a lot of money. With no results.
    Drivers will drive away earlier then they should, mostly without looking aroud.

• E. de Jong says:

I mean “only” and “around”
    sorry…

• I disagree with previous poster; I don’t think drivers will drive off earlier. If anything it will probably lessen anxiety because we will know how much longer we have until the light goes green. Or we could compile data from countries that already have these type of lights and see if drivers really do drive off earlier.

• judi bola says:

nice stoplight…..

• Its such as you learn my mind! You seem to understand so much approximately this, like you wrote the guide in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with a few percent to pressure the message house a little bit, but other than that, that is excellent blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

• Harley says:

Wow, the idea is really awesome. It sucks so badly when other people need 5 sec to find the first gear. This system would solve so many problems in traffic 😛

You should really spread the idea.

• Wiglaf says:

Personally, I think your red light countdown timer is a bad idea. I predict that this type of device will increase the number of people who “jump the light” and set of through intersections before the light has actually turned green, potentially increasing the number of traffic accidents. I would suggest that instead of using the red light, you create something similar for the green light, to tell people how much time they still have to make it through an intersection before the light turns yellow.

• Roadcamp says:

Crazy Design 😉 I´ve seen this kind of style also at breaklights for cars … it´s not that bad imho.

• ¡Qué bueno que está!, i love it