SONEA Converts Sound to Energy

That’s no boom box! That’s no ghetto blaster! That’s a Sonea unit! It’s basically a machine which protests the waste of perfectly good noise, converting it to energy we can use to do anything! Anything at all! But probably most often such things as lighting street lamps and such.

A single Sonea unit is 450mm by 450mm by 80mm, weighing in at a whole 7kg. It converts 30 watts of power per decibel of sound it intercepts. It’s made of Poly Carbonate elements, ABS, and other more obvious components listed in the layout picture below.

One airplane liftoff makes noise around 140dB. When taking off, the amount of energy [created with the SONEA] would be about 240kW. If we calculate with 500 airplanes per day, the amount of energy would be aproximately 120MW. If this amount of energy is generated for one year, it would be the same amount of energy that is generated by 8000tons of oil.

Humongoid possibilities. I’d lay one right outside my apartment window where sirens from the nearby fire brigade station let loose pretty darn often. Loudness for my free energy!

Designers: Jihoon Kim, Boyeon Kim, Myung-Suk Kim, and Da-Woon Chung

SONEA Sound Energy Conversion Technology by Jihoon Kim, Boyeon Kim, Myung-Suk Kim, and Da-Woon Chung

sonia07

sonia02

sonia03

sonia04

sonia06

sonia05

• Carl says:

sounds too good to be true.

• Gunnar Tveiten says:

Is it an actual requirement for designers to be incapable of maths AND physics ?

The claim in this article is entirely implausible, capturing 30W from a surface that is about 0.2m^2 using a single db of sound, is not only implausible, it’s ridicolous.

If true, you could use 1% of the collected energy to produce sound (with a speaker, for example) and collect the remaining 99%, voila unlimitd amounts of free energy and perpetuum mobile.

The claim is so far out there, that even if you subsituted *milliwatt* for watt, I’d still not believe it without having seen the calculations.

• Jeff says:

That seems about right.

Almost all the concept designs here are impossible to implement; What’s the purpose of a concept you’ll never be able to pull off?

Stop your designing and go write a story.

Seriously, though, 30watts from one decibel is insane. Not only does this violate physics, and maths, it demonstrates a lack of basic knowledge about sound; an increase of 10 decibels is an increase of 10 times the sound intensity…

• Lamah says:

I might also add that a watt is not a unit of energy like the description seems to imply, it is a rate of energy consumption.

A Boeing 777 has two engines, each producing energy at a rate of 75MW, for a total of 150MW. Let’s consider a ridiculous assumption that all of that power goes into producing sound.

At a distance of 100 meters from the plane, that sound effectively ends up spread across the surface of a sphere with area 125,000 m^2. A Sonea has an active surface area of about 0.21 m^2. So, if it could convert incoming sound to stored energy with 100% efficiency, and we accept the ridiculous premise that all of the engine’s power output is sound, it still only captures 0.000168% of the power, or about 250W.

• Devin says:

in the early 1900s, who would’ve think Internet, cell phone would be possible?
    who would have imagined we can send people into space just few decades before we did in the 60s?
    CONCEPT DESIGNS sometimes may disregard the means of a futurist concept; they are tentative exploration that may have thousands of ways to achieve the final result

• Klappstuhl says:

You wanted Feedback, here it is: It doesn’t work.

• Free says:

internet, cell phones, and laptops do not violate laws in physics, they are electronic devices made available through miniaturization of existing electronics components. we can improve what we have and through that make progress, we do not just make concepts up and hope that one day it will be real. a concept is only good if its tangible, or else its no different from fantasy.

• Yo mama says:

Very true.. I couldn’t agree more…

The idea is very inspiring!

I hope to see it come into effect, I imagine hanging this absorber outside my flat and drain the traffic noise, while playing my stereo inside…

• joe says:

I believe what was being said is that if someone came up with the idea of the Internet or cell phone 50 or 100 years ago, they would have received much the same negative reaction. That’s because the existing electronic technology didn’t exist to make that happen, or to make it seem even remotely feasible. The same can be said of concepts like this one–it presents an idea to get others thinking in different ways. It isn’t necessarily possible by today’s means, but perhaps it’s worth exploring and will be viable one day in the near or distant future. That is the point of design, isn’t it? If you want tech that works out of the box, there’s plenty of places to find it.

• Carl says:

so lets all start listening to idiots..!

• Dandruf says:

You must be American!

• Lamah says:

This is not worth exploring. It doesn’t matter what you put into that magic box, it can’t produce more energy than what comes into it as sound, which is a pitiful trickle. That fact is not going to change.

• Ram says:

IMHO Wishful thinking and a Big Ask.
    How does one collect Noise is my first question ?. Defies Physics and logic unless inventor can provide some mathematical proof. But then there is no real harm in dreaming is there ?
    Looks cute though

• stephen russell says:

Way 2 Radical.
    IF True, wow.
    Imagine the energy created at Rock Concerts, Airports, Work sites, etc.
    Huge use for.
    Make it fixed & bigger for Airports.
    Wow.
    Noise 2 energy.
    Must develop this Big Time

• max says:

how much is it!!!

• Werner says:

I would love to incorporate this system in an electric car for the perpetuum mobile concept is very interesting. Still I have to agree that the power conversion sounds very unlikely. A bit the same as mr Muammer Yildiz’s perpetuum mobile machine.

Still the idea, to capture vibration of sound and convert it into energy is an interesting one. If the cost to create this machine is lower than the energy it produces over its lifetime, and you are able to put a couple of thousand of these devices next to the takeoff lanes or place at noise screens next to the freeways or inside tunnels, I dont see a problem but a very good development.

Keep up the good work.

• Pooja says:

i would like to know how can we gather the sound or noise to a panel ??
    and
    what is the concept in making the transducer which can convert noise to electrical energy ???????????
    DO REPLY……….

• Pooja says:

i would like to know how can we gather the sound or noise to a panel ??
    and
    DO REPLY……….

• Hi, designers..

I like the design most, but I don’t think that it works as your principle said, I mean it cannot give big efficency…

I just like to requst that will you provide me the working process of the SONEA with it’s simple circuit diagrame and theory??????????

Please, I need it, because I like your principle…

Hope you’ll help me………..

• Hi, designers..

Please, I need it, because I like your principle…
    Hope you’ll help me………..

• kike cueva says:

The idea seems perfect, weather it works at the time or not. Dont forget people said the same thing when the first car was invented. Now I dont think any of u rides a horse to work. Congratulations on your design, the best thing u can do is keep up the good work, the good intentions and keep inspiring people.

• kike cueva says:

• Joseph C Bigornia says:

I only have one question?

How could a man attempt to prove something over 10,000 times and not realize that one tiny and simple adjustment would have been the key to making it work?

• Joseph C Bigornia says:

I only have one question?

• Quiet Man says:

People are always looking for free energy. Overunity, the concept of creating energy from nothing, is common, as is perpetual motion machines. This is more of the same, there simply isn't that much energy in sound unless you are in a unique circumstance, which is rare indeed.

BTW, Watts is a unit of energy, both consumed and generated. The writer of this article has no concept what it is though.

• Quiet Man says:

• aaron baribar says:

cool! i have a similar idea/concept as this is! storing sound energy..:)
    i'm a 4th year ECE student, a Filipino, and i'm very excited for our thesis… i had encountered many struggles b4 my proposed topic was approved. Weeks after the approval of our topic, one of my thesis mates linked me this page. At first, i was a bit saddened because of the similarity in concept. but realizing further, i am glad to find someone who also believes with the concept of storing sound energy. hey brother! u'r not alone:) i really believe with the power of the mind.. and with the grace of God, nothing is impossible:)

• aaron baribar says:

cool! i have a similar idea/concept as this is! storing sound energy..:)

• viky says:

hey..i am doin the same thing in my project too….but i am not so sure about the energy which SONEA promises to provide…i would like to have a chat with u….could u help me…

cheers
      viky

• vaishnavi says:

sir,cn u explain the working principle of SONEA?

• vaishnavi says:

sir,cn u plz explain the working principle of SONEA?

• argus says:

this message goes to the negative ones… I’ll share one saying i have learned. “knowledge is not limited, it’s only the mind that is limited” you can relate i t with the technology today… goodluck guys… 🙂

• Chris Malroy says:

It will work…with the right elements in the right order.

• andrian says:

i want to buy SONEA… where i can buy that ? can u tell me please….

• nithin says:

How much it charge

• ganeshkumar says:

I like your product very much and i want to know about the circuit of this product

• carbfibe says:

maybe if you use nano carbon fiber tubes as membran u can make perpetum mobile by designing perfect noise recieverer which made noise from recieveng own el. energy and make it noise and heat as nus product. as how new nano fibers in microprocesors testing react.
    …just speculating with ideas :S
    pardon my english 😉

• carbfibe says:

…just speculating with ideas
    pardon my english

• sarath says:

i just want to know what is the princple involved in the machine and and how does it work

• sarath says:

cost of sonea

• Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just
    your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all.
    Nevertheless imagine if you added some great pictures or
    videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and
    clips, this blog could definitely be one of the most beneficial in its
    niche. Amazing blog!

• The following are a couple of the top sellers in the daypack category
    of backpacks. Participating in sports activities gives children much more than simply physical benefits.
    Vancouver Hockey Camps offers lessons and training that teaches kids and youth
    competitive hockey skills designed to improve overall individual and
    team playing ability. This kind of camps will be offered to the
    people based on the individual age limit, interest and health condition. Basically these with
    offer the standard drop protection with not that much
    else. There is certainly nothing even worse than becoming trapped at home and see them taking part in their awful video video games.

To get details on what you can have to reduce your work load,
    go to Camp organization. Session one campers will study and
    perform “Stuart LIttle: The Musical” June 12-25.
    For instance, my car broke down would serve as a cause, while the
    effect would be because I didn’t get an oil change.
    Nearly all groups who go with these plans are coaches
    and teams from different schools.

• Besides of being the field of fashion, you may also
    prepare the costly expenses of the profession you may want to take on. The XXI century is certainly century fashion, where existing trends have a strong influence
    on society. By searching on the net, one can find hundreds of fashion industry portals where all kinds of information related to European fashion are available in detail.

• If you really want a little gleam to set off the room, consider using
    satin finish paint for the trim. Flat paint is the best choice
    for hiding rough spots and surface imperfections,
    which makes it perfect for ceilings and walls. The body definitely contained a high volume of mucous and yeast.

• Connect yourself to the Omnipotent as your mind reach the state of spiritual perfection. Also, they’ve
    been specifically designed to pass compression tests so that they can be used at varying altitudes.

&bull Jeans and shorts are also standard garments product
    for boys.

• ve booked your holiday, filled in your EHIC card
    and paid for your travel insurance. Simply rub your finger-tips up and down about ten times and then rub them from the corners of your eyes outwards.

Here is a sample list of 20: abortion, addiction, adolescence, break-ups, crime,
    death, depression, eating disorders, humor, lucky breaks, mental
    disorders, moral dilemmas, pets, poverty, racism, religion, sex,
    suicide, turning points, and war.

• Mark Ryan Salentes says:

Great product! I wonder if its available in the market. Where is it available and how much does it costs? I would appreciate some answer. Thank you in advance.

• Hi I am so grateful I found your weblog, I really found
    you by accident, while I was searching on Bing for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and
    would just like to say thanks a lot for a marvelous post and a all round exciting
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all
    at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

• Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was once a leisure account it.

Look complicated to more delivered agreeable from
    you! However, how could we be in contact?