Self-Stirring Pot

The kind of pot you put sauce in. And self-stirring in that it’s got its own mechanism built in to the pot. You put your sauce in there, start to heat it up, put the cover on, and turn the crank. Turn the crank and laugh! Laugh at the industrial genius of this mechanism! Ah haaa! Yes! Sauce! Sauce forever!

Seriously sauce forever. What more do you want from a pot than a stirrer automatica? I can think of a few times where it’d be less-than-helpful. Those times with stuff such as spaghetti, I’d opt out of the stirrer. But check out the bottom of the pot! It’s concave! It is shaped thus so that the “specially shaped teflon base will increase the suface area that is exposed to fire.” Physicists, is this ever a bad idea?

This “Wrinkle” pot was designed by Cem Tutuncuoglu – a very, very strange man. You simply must check out his landing page: http://cemtutuncuoglu.com/

Designer: Cem Tutuncuoglu

• Luke says:

I don’t get it, is this supposed to be powered by convection currents? The sauce would be way too viscous for the blades to move fast enough to make any kind of difference.

If the concern is burning, I’d rather just put the sauce in a double boiler.

• Jyb says:

I’m wondering about this too. Nowadays I use an electric saucepan ( http://www.seb.fr/All+Products/Preparation+des+repas/Aides+à+la+preparation/Products/Saucier+electronique/Saucier+electronique.htm ) and could be interested in one that could be used with a gaz cooker. But for heavy sauce, I doubt convection currents would be sufficent.

• Gunnar Tveiten says:

Remarkably stupid.

As anyone who’s ever stirred sauce can tell you, you want to vary the pattern so that all the sauce close to the bottom moves, not just circle a narrow gauge, like this contraption.

Second, having a lot of ridges, nooks and crannies may seem like a clever idea for increasing heat-transfer — all the way up until the first time you need to actually *wash* the thing.

In short — completely useless. Really.

• Eric Foor says:

I think it’s kind of nifty. But then again, it would detract from the overall experiences you can get and learn from cooking.

• jon says:

looks like you crank the stirrer, which means it’s not exactly self stirring.

it has a “built in stirrer”, not a self-stirrer.

• PB says:

• Koyln says:

A self stirring pot is not useful everyday. But, this concave bottom is onto something. One almost wants to reluctantly brag, “My, pots got a Hemi!”