How Smart A Chef Are You?

Really Smart eh? Can you recall all your recipes by heart; tell me exactly how many calories are there in the dish that you are preparing; the amount of protein, cholesterol in it; are the ingredients fresh enough? NO!! NO!! You’re not a SMART Chef then. Actually you never can be, coz then you’d be this computer with an intelligent cutting board and integrated scale. The wise guy here can connect with local farmers and farmer’s markets to help you procure the seasonal produce. It can even help you share recipes, formulate diet plans etc. The unit is made up of a bamboo surfaced cutting board element containing the SmartChef’s computing and food scanning hardware, while a portable touch-screen tablet provides a kitchen-safe interface that can travel throughout the kitchen and home.

Technology has invaded our kitchens and smart refrigerators and ovens are a proof of it. Envisioning a smart cutting board is not too far fetched, it’s just the question of us accepting and getting used to it. I know there are several issues that need to be addressed, like juices that come out of the veggies that we cut and how will an electronic board tackle that. With such similar issues resolved, I’m sure some Smart company will see the potential and come up with the apt board.

Designer: Kaiju Studios

• yoyoMan says:

ooh touchscreen, is it dishwasher safe?

• DisposableInterloper says:

I think the first question to be asked is, “How the frack is it even supposed to work?”

Seriously, since when did we have cheap sensors that could be embedded in a plate that (a) can do in mere moments what takes analytical chemists hours and (b) are cheap enough for middle to upper-middle class households? Hook me up and I’ll make the most badass computer-tended garden lickety-split.

It’s one thing to have a digital food prep station that requires people to identify what’s actually going into it. It’s another thing entirely to pretend Star Trek tricorders exist. Less futurism and more engineering please.

• M.S.W. says:

Take a look at the designers’ website for this item. http://www.kaijustudios.com/ourwork_projects.asp?projectID=23&picture=1

The design infers to be more focused on the computer software/UI then on the actual sensor hardware (as I fully concur is no where near the size,price point for even the most fiscaly well off yet)

As to your reference to “Star Trek” to heck with the food prep and just invent the replicator instead 😉

• DisposableInterloper says:

Ohhhhh. Now I know who to flame for that flimsy, borderline-useless travel case for the Gillette Fusion.

In all seriousness, though, I honestly thought the software UI was just a 20- to 30-minute mockup job to keep an otherwise bland design visually interesting. Looking at the site, they’re calling it “a holistic approach to the software and hardware.” Fluffy and just a smidge arrogant, I’d say.

• Silenzo says:

just wanted to ask the same :p

• Alex says:

I would’ve gone with a holo-screen. They are so much more environmentally friendly.