Spicy Hot Book

Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Bourdain; all my favorite men will agree with me when I say that it’s the spices that you add to the cooking that make or break the dish. Like most Asians, my kitchen too is stocked up with a variety of spices and I really miss my collection when I’m on vacation, cooking in my holiday-home kitchenette. Anyways, my point is that packing the spices is always a bother, which is why I leave most of them at home, but looks like with the MUJI taste-leaf book I won’t have to compromise on flavors anymore.

This wonderful book actually contains sheets that are embedded with spices. Traditionally we chop and store the flavorings in jars, but this is kinda like the soap-strip! Tear it and use it.

Need some pepper? Just tear out the perforated page and add it to the dish! Edible quality paper embedded with the spice dissolve into the food, adding the much needed flavoring. The moisture and heat ensure that the spices mix in well.

MUJI is a perfect solution for cooking enthusiasts who travel or folks low on kitchen storage space.

Designer: Nick Bampton

• Lamah says:

If it actually works, very nice, I’d like to buy one.

• Carl says:

very clever. could see this selling very well.

• Luke says:

How are they going to ensure the character of the spice is preserved, both through the process of being applied to those paper sheets and sitting in that booklet over time.

Moreover, unless this paper is made of something like konnyaku (which itself poses the problem of stable storage), how is it going to dissolve?

Personally, I’d go with something more akin to a Listerine strip and simply impregnate soluble sheets (of, let’s say, PEG-300, gum arabic, and carnauba wax) with powdered, but otherwise unadultered spice. Storage could be solved by keeping it in an airtight box with a silica gel pad.

• Esther says:

I love it! would look great in my kitchen.

• Henrique Staino says:

They have been doing this since the 60’s, only with LSD. hehehe

If there’s a way of preserving the spices’ qualities, it’s an interesting idea!

• Maru says:

The cleverest, original and best concept I’ve seen in a while!

• JAxelrod says:

The concept is very cleaver, and has a lot of potential. I would much rather have these books lined up in my kitchen than any spice rack on the market. Is this one book filled with many different spices or do you buy spice specific books? I don’t know about you but i spill things when i cook. How is it protected? Spices can get expensive fast, and you’d want to protect your investment. How do i know how much spice i am applying? One would never say (using the examples provided) add the same amount of Red Chilli as White Pepper. So what do i do if i want one tablespoon? or a half? With spices the amount used is crucial.

Maybe take the idea of the grid and perforate the page into standards of measurement, and color code and label it to foolproof it (singular black outlined squares are this much, larger red shapes made up of the black squares are this much… and so on). If you can make this a product that makes spices more portable, while keeping them fresh (and protected… maybe a protective cover), AND assists in measuring process, there is no reason why someone would buy spices in any other format.

• Confucius says:

Amazing idea if it worked, I would think that, when closed, the flavours may seep into one another. Bad because the white pepper would taste like chili. Good because the middle of the book would be the MEGAFLAVOUR.

• major problem, anybody that loves to cook knows that your herbs and spices need to be fresh, so this is the worst of all worlds. OK its a clever idea, sort of but why not a “book” of resealable envelopes that get with one load, then refill as used. This would give the cache of the original concept, added in with the green aspect of re use.

• Luke says:

A booklet of envelopes filled with powder doesn’t sound very durable, and airport security might not like how it looks.

If we’re going the route of new ways to store unadultered spices, wouldn’t a stack of narrow, boxy tins or jars be a better idea?

• That's very cool, it's nice that they took the time to make the book both attractive and editable! 🙂

• That’s very cool, it’s nice that they took the time to make the book both attractive and editable! 🙂

• Deckard_cain says:

Hi~
    i want to buy this spice book , can you tell me how and where buy it?
    thanks,

• I want to buy this one.
    If you know how to buy it, send me a message please.

• krishika shah says:

i would like to know the price of spicy hot book and phone no. anyone who sell’s it

• Thank you for any other magnificent post. Where else could anybody get that kind of information in such a perfect method
    of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the search for such info.

• My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be exactly what
    I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
    I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on a lot
    of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome web site!

• Isabel says:

Shut up and take my money!

• Tango says:

This would be perfect for camping!!