Pump-up Your Ride

Ah…the pleasure of a skateboard! A teen’s companion and a worrying mother’s bane, this piece of board has transformed form a plane plank to a glitzy glam doll with finesse. Right now lets take a look at another kind that markets itself as a Pumpboard. Rolling up like a licorice wheel, this board can be pumped up with compressed air to make it a taut steady ride.

According to Maciej, you need to detach the rear axel before rolling the board up. I wouldn’t say that I’m totally sold on this concept, but it does make the skateboard very portable and easy to stow.

Designer: Maciej Puzon

• zippyflounder says:

goodyear back in th 40’s had a inflate able airplane, it worked. The trick was that their were little fibers attaching the top and bottom skins allowing for very high air pressures to be used while holding the formed shape. So if the designer wants to fire up google, do a bit of research he/she could make this real. Would it sell, dont know, you need to talk to the market.

• Bendy says:

Completely pointless.

Why would one need a fold-up skateboard?? Of all the things a designer could pick as making more portable, why would you pick an object that:

1. is a mode of transportation?
    2. is already extremely portable?

• zippyflounder says:

bendy, i am trying to be less “corrosive” in my comments (a kinder, gentler zippy) but I agree with you 100%. There is some real potential for the goodyear tech if designers would be willing to do the Bauhaus thing and learn about stuff.

• Eric says:

My concern would actually getting this somewhere that could fill this up enough to be sturdy. I doubt somebody can blow this up with their lungs even with a one way valve. Whats wrong with making a skateboard more portable? It would be nice to not have to carry it and shove it in a bag. I could see less boards snapping in two as well…

• Luke says:

The problem of getting it sturdy makes me wonder why the designer chose an inflatable design. Wouldn’t a collapsible design made up of rigid components make more sense, both in terms of manufacturing and consumer convenience?

• Eric says:

Possibly, but what materials are affordable enough to keep it as light as a deflated board would be? The major convenience here is the portable weight, then it’s size. If it were carbon fold able sections that would be awesome, but very pricey to make compared to this…

• Luke says:

Carbon fiber is severe overkill. We’re not talking about a high-end sports car where every pound is meticulously shaved off to make for a slight performance edge. We’re talking about making a collapsible version of a glorified plank with wheels traditionally make of wood.

Glass-reinforced thermoplastic or pressure-treated and laminated hardwood is plenty sufficient as the base material. Steel would make for durable hinges and latches at a reasonable price. Specifics would depend on the type of skateboard, manufacturing capability, and what price point the board would sell at.

Beyond that, the form and function of the board would not need to diverge much from the traditional designs. Maintenance of the board and the components for the board would remain largely the same. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke, as the saying goes.

• Eric says:

Exactly my point. Making this out of any hard plastics, metal, whatever, is going to be heavier than a deflated rolled up “board.” The entire point of making this thing inflatable was for WEIGHT & portability.
            This is not meant to be:

This is a different design entirely with weight being a major factor in it’s purpose. Therefore, I would be really interested to view something that is made of hard components and collapses, but it’s not this piece nor is it meant to be. So post something like what you are talking about and stop comparing apples to oranges (as that saying goes.)

• Luke says:

No offense intended, but you missed the point. Well, several points, actually. First, nobody ever mentioned that this design is meant to address weight. (Heck, as far as I could gather, it’s nothing more that a set of concept renders.) Second, this is unequivocally a bad design. Third, weight is not an issue as far as skateboards are concerned anyway, them being small and light as they are already.

Think for a second about the inflation mechanism. To keep from getting flung off this thing like a kid jumping on a moonbounce, you’d need to pressurize this to the point that it would remain stiff while supporting a human body. That poses two problems. First and foremost, what equipment are you going to use to pressurize it? A compressor? Any weight or portability advantage is lost at that point.

Second, there are the materials to consider. It would need to maintain some pretty hefty internal pressure, support a human body riding on it, and not tear open when scraped a few too many times. What does that suggest? It would be relatively heavy, and it likely would be hard to roll up.

And that’s not even going into the needlessly complicated wheels, the frankly bizarre air valve, or the fact that the rear wheel would have to either be frustratingly hard to attach or dangerously easy to slip off (I would hope not both).

Look, I don’t mean to come off sounding like a pompous ass, and I’m not trying to pretend to be a designer, but I know a thing or two about physics and engineering. Sure, it might be possible to manufacture something like this. It doesn’t mean it’s a viable product.

If you’d ask me, I’d say that this was never even meant to be a serious concept to begin with, but rather a way for 3KANT to present its caster wheel design.

• Eric says:

I never claimed this was feasible so I don’t need convincing from you (because I don’t think it is either.)
            You said you wanted to know why they chose an inflatable design. The reason for that was brought up by you also, weight. Not directly I know, but because you said it was more possible with hard components folded. That will be heavier because we both know it won’t be made of carbon (as we obviously both know is overkill.)
            So the reason I will claim this is inflatable is due to weight, and therefore more portability.
            You missed my point. Because everyone including the designer knows we can’t manufacture this yet, it’s no need to claim you know how much this material would weigh.
            Because: The reason I said before it’s the inflatable factor I was concerned about is directly because I know this is made of a light enough (yet strong enough) material not yet around. Because when it might be around in years to come, I would say it’s the fact you would need to find a place to fill it up so hard, that this is not feasible.
            We both called the design out just for different things. Your reason has to do with now, mine for later. And this idea won’t work at either time.
            So as I said before, I would love to see a collapsible board (for portability) but this one was meant to stay light.

• Luke says:

Ah, so there was a misunderstanding. My bad.

I’ll finish off by noting that a collapsible skateboard would necessarily be heavier than a non-collapsible one of similar materials and proportions. I only had saving space in mind when I mentioned the possibility of a collapsible board.

Last word is yours if you want it.

• Eric says:

Word. 😉

• zippyflounder says:

the goodyear airmat airplane used “less pressure than a auto tire” but thats way over what you can do with your lungs.

• That's way over what NORMAL people can do with their lungs. God forbid anyone sane and normal ever try inflating a hot water bag… and yes, I saw it live…in person… last year, I think. That was insane… …Equal to blowing up a truck tire…

• That’s way over what NORMAL people can do with their lungs. God forbid anyone sane and normal ever try inflating a hot water bag… and yes, I saw it live…in person… last year, I think. That was insane… …Equal to blowing up a truck tire…

• k.a.r. says:

Although the function is not the most functional (heh) the idea of using that one rim to wrap around the folded board is clever.

• matt says:

clever idea.

BUT pressure to keep that form by using anything less than a high-powered pump……not gunna happen

• Sean says:

the biggest nag here is surely that the people who use skateboards, usually do (or try to do) tricks on them. this looks like a very difficult board to maneuver as it is, let alone kicking it up in the air and flipping it around. i mean even the man in the picture isn’t riding it! that’s why i can’t ever see this selling.

• Jason says:

It goes so fast it needs a front air foil.

• Troy says:

You all might be forgetting about the cool factor. Coolness sells, especially to a large number of people in the age range or your typical skateboarder.

• Eric says:

If you want a product to stand the test of time and gain continued support (which means more money for longer) then why make a crap product? We are suggesting ways to make this functionally feasible. Once people buy it and realize it’s crap, word of mouth spreads fast and influences sales much quicker than any “coolness” marketing plan. Milli Vanilli were “Cool,” how long did their quality product last? Coolness sells for now, quality sells for now & later…

• Beeslook, Holland says:

Fabulous idea/design. I’ve been using my longboard since forever, though there are a few irritating points. I can’t use it when it raines due to rusting bearings (how does this board roll? the usual bearings or newly developed, water sustainable, ones?). of course the idea of making it more easy to store/carry when using other kinds of transportation like trains is ideal for people like me using their boards like a transportable bike. nevertheless it ought to be very expensive for people riding a skateboard (for those people usually don’t have all the money in the world) how are you going to sell it?

well, that was that then. thanks for showing me this new concept in the skateboarding/transporting world! I hope to see more of your fresh design!!

• Luke says:

If you have a problem with rusted bearings, get higher quality steel bearings, or failing that, get titanium or ceramic bearings.

• zeroemision says: