PC Gets Easy For Gramps

Computers and technology still intimidate many elderly and at the rate technology is progressing its sure to make arthritis seem like bliss. Hitching a ride to the techno-highway is the Perch Computer, which incorporates the fun element while offering intuitive navigation. A touchscreen coupled with a key system makes the device easy-to-use and understand. Naturally, visual representations of the various programs are easy to comprehend.

The Perch Keys use induction technology to store information and programs. Place a key on the allotted slot to initiate the process. Data can be uploaded onto the Keys by simply dragging and dropping. Certainly you won’t need to be a rocket-scientist to use this comp!

Designer: Sylvia Spencer

• Lamah says:

That’s just what old people need. A vision and dexterity challenge to keep them on their toes.

• Mark says:

Love it, would be great for kids too.

• MadCow says:

thats the problem, the elderly don’t like to be treated like kids and this “playful” design interface is directly aimed at kids…

i think this is a classic case of designer “wants” forced into project brief. and not that well foced either… its like “man i have this great idea for a new computer interface! ummm… my project is for old people?…. ok let me fake a little research… force the user testing and bam! the elderly would love this thing.”

• Def says:

I have seen a philips (apc interactive) solution with rfid chips (tokens), which can be placed into a bowl. This was build into a table, with touchscreen input – last seen 6 years ago.

This solution here however, is reminding me of the surface demo, but with less high-tech stuff. So it might be okay for elder people, but only if voice input is supported. And also if there is an personal assistent who will interact with the people sitting infront of the pc. I miss also – a webcam, pen and scanner. The assistent may check the health condition of the user over time, so that he is reminding them to drink or eat, or go to sleep.

And I would nice, if the perch key, were interactive – ie. Email showing number of unread emails – and blinking, or emitting a sound, when they are searched in case someone forgot the key.

• Carl says:

How patronising. please remember that gramps was probably a pioneer in the computer age. how many young people can write in DOS or programme anything?

• Mark says:

How many people can write in DOS at all? Sure, the pioneers of computing might not want this, so you don’t get them one. I don’t think you need to know the statisticss on computer literacy rates for the elderley to know that the overwheming majority would not know how to use a normal computer.

• zippyflounder says:

better for kids than “gramps”..zippy is the latter (and sometimes the former too) and can write 3 diff programing languages…sadly all obsolete LOL.

• Mark says:

It’s safe to assume that the majority of humans cannot programme.

• Keith says:

I’m not sure these tokens would be easier than a larger touch-based interface. Plus you’ll have less stuff to lose. I would hate to have to worry about my dog eating my email token.

• Eric says:

Actually this seems more complicated than easy to me. Technology is not at a place where I feel it could even benefit the elderly yet. They need a system that can read a thought (like save this email for later) and other basic functions with thinking them. I feel elderly would rather the machine read their thoughts, than having to read a computers’ to figure out how it works. A 50 y/o today will probably be the first successful elderly computer user in 20/30 years, because they know computers enough to make them function as tech gets better. You can’t raise George Washington from the dead and expect him to learn this system “naturally.” The baby boomers will use the comps later on, it’s a generational learning curve.

• Thank you for the comments on my design. I do like designing for kids, and I like designing fun things, so many of my designs tend to end up “kiddy”. Part of the assignment was that the computer be innovative and not traditional, so that is why it is a totally different way of operating a computer.

If you would like to see more of my stuff, here’s my porfolio on coroflot…

• Carl says:

I finally agree with Eric. No, you cannot raise George Washington from the Dead. haha.

• Mark says:

Nice portfolio!

• So says:

Isn’t this just a copy of Bens concept

• I think the admin of this web site is truly working hard in favor of
    his site, since here every material is quality based data.

• Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s
    truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.
    I will appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

• Elements typically seen on movie screens were guns
    drawn and cleavages exposed. (The gears in the camera that pulled
    the film through was technology borrowed from clockwork.

In some cases, surround sound is not possible in low frequency; however,
    it is not the case with Panasonic SC-PT480EB-K.

• I just like the helpful info you supply in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your weblog and take a look at again here regularly.
    I’m fairly certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the following!

• This extraordinarily precious e-book has also been written for individuals who
    endure from some other persistent health problem, including high ldl cholesterol,
    arthritis, high blood pressure, brittle bone sickness, most cancers, tumor
    and so on. This guide can provide you a substantial amount of crucial
    lessons about managing and healing quite a few health problem.