Thin is Out, Odd is In

Mobile phones are getting so thin, they’re almost ignoring every rule of handheld ergonomics. Designer Heikki Juvonen decided to backtrack and redesign a futuristic mobile complete with all modern accoutrements but with realistic ergonomics in mind. The end result is a phone he believes is perfectly balanced in the hand placing the heavy components towards the bottom. The unique profile shape also helps it sit better in the hand providing multiple surface areas to grip.

Designer: Heikki Juvonen

• Victor says:

That’s a fantastic design, congrats.

• savocado says:

It dose not have a qwerty keyboard = sucks

• StereoTypo says:

QWERTY is inefficient and next to useless for single-hand input. The popularity of such keyboards for texting ignores the fact that qwerty was invented for typing, with all digits on your hand. Texting is for thumbs. QWERTY is not for thumbs. QWERTY sucks.

• Keith says:

It fits better in the hand, but what about the pocket? The reason that I got the cell phone that I did, Verizon k1m, was so that it would take up the smallest amount of room in my pocket as possible. Although, maybe the designer believes that everyone should lug around a messenger bag full of bulky electronics.

• Ivana A+D says:

No I really like. It looks fragile in the middle. Not good to carry it in a my pocket. What do you think?

• Thrystan says:

This design has something screaming “Spiderman” about it… It might be the keypad.

• Vadim says:

I don’t get it, why are all the designs still putting the keypad below the screen? It is so much easier to hold the phone in the palm and have the keypad above the screen. Try it… take your phone and flip it upside down, much easier to type.

• Brian says:

Interesting form but I can’t help but wonder if we still need to deal with a 1960s version of the future.

• Christine says:

Realistically, most people have their phones in their pockets or bag compartment more often than they do in their hands. An increasing number of people are using headsets now too, keeping their phones out of their hands and in their pockets.

• jin_woo_han says:

It’s been a long time to impressssss by design!

COOOL~!

• Alp says:

yep its the keyboard and outer web form..cool design concept, I would not buy one.

• powers says:

Wow. I had a sketch much like this way back in my first ID rendering class… Funny to see someone else’s take. Looks nice, like it’d be comfortable to hold. I agree on the pocket issue.

• Victor says:

People here can be evil sometimes. I like this a lot, and much of the criticism here is out of place. Looks fragile? What about those hair-thin mobiles? Don’t they look fragile? And yet, they’re selling like water in a desert.
    About the pocket thing… come on, aren’t you exageratting? It may be bigger then some phones, but it’s smaller than some best selling phones as well.

• Keith says:

I haven’t seen a best-selling phone as oddly shaped as this. Just imagine sticking it in your pocket, how would it be oriented to not be in the way? I agree that it looks more ergonomic than the paper-thin ones, but no one would want to carry this thing around.

• Binsz says:

This is another ergonomic mobile concept – http://www.bybstudio.eu/wg_credo/index.htm – I designed more than one year.

• Chris2046 says:

feel like out my mouse into my pocket and 3 balls between my legs

• Rolf says:

A realy cool design.
    Maby a little difficould to put in the pocket or bag. But if you could make it flip or slide it would be very small and easy to store (or loose).

• Ekove says:

Comfortable to hold. But what about Pocket? what about protection covers/wallets and such? We’ll need costume accessories for this thing.

Doesn’t look practical anywhere but in the hand.

• George says:

This is a wonderful design i would totally buy it!!!

• Inans says:

please how much is the phone? how can i get it deliver to me?

• INANS says:

i really love the YANKO DESIGN NOKIA PHONE. but i seriously need the price of it.
    thanks.

• The QWERTY layout wasn’t even invented for typing, it was invented so the keys on a typewriter wouldn’t jam XD

Dvorak FTW