VOIP with Style

The Tatung VOIP, winner of the 2008 IF, IDEA, and Red Dot awards is one classy phone with aims to making internet phones user friendly. Featuring Bluetooth, wireless and a touch pad design, the Tatung VOIP Phone is easy to connect to your VOIP service. Its casing can be customized but other than that the phone is devoid of unnecessary features with the exception of a faux antenna which is just for retro nostalgia.

We here at Yanko Design use Skype a lot. As design purveyors, our current VOIP equipment lacks any design and character. We need a simple yet sexy VOIP phone like the Tatung ASAP. It’s currently on exhibition but lets cross our fingers and hope it goes into mass production.

Designer: Nova Design

• Kael says:

Neat to ultimate! Just make it thinner and lighter

• yeswr says:

没什么特点

• FLX says:

Desolée monsieur, but i ve seen phone shaped handhelds already – and flat, glossy metal backs dont impress me anymore since the 2nd ipod i ve seen.

• Best design!! BEST BEST BEST!!

• Ethan says:

Needs a 1-line LCD/LED display to do caller ID

• Dan says:

I’m pretty sure the space between the buttons and the ear piece has like an OLED screen hidden under the surface.

• Vincent says:

Touch panel buttons are massive fail. We aren’t in the 90’s anymore, we don’t have to show off that we can make a phone that isn’t haptic.

In my honest opinion, it doesn’t look any better to omit buttons that you can feel. If you used real buttons, then you raise the usability and longevity of your product greatly beyond just how long it will still look “cool.”

• Vincent says:

ALSO

Glossy Finish = greasy face prints all over it

• spiffee says:

the first thing i thought of when i saw these pictures … the zeno … i don’t think i’d like a phone that reminded me of an ance-fighting device

• Brian says:

While I like the product concept, the actual form factor is one of the more derivative & boring ones out there but doesn’t surprise me that it won an IDEA award – that award has lost a lot of luster over the years. I know it’s a subtle act of bridging the object language of existing communications devices into a new form but does the phone have to look like a cell phone? It’s a VOIP so it’s unlikely that you will be leaving your home to use this and based on that simple insight, why can’t it be more akin to the land lines of today and yesterday?

• devinwhite says:

it’s from TAIWAN ! ! ! ! !

• michaelportent says:

I think this design is really beautiful. Lack of screen would concern me from a VoIP standpoint though. Unless maybe you set up a list of hotkeys for dialing Skype contacts on the computer and transfer that info to the phone somehow.

• pewma says:

Any word on it requiring a base station? I use skype for my voip calls but have not found a handset that doesn’t require a base station. I’d like to be able to use my skype phone on any available wireless networks.

• Shiella says:

Yeah, glossy look will make it excellent!

• William says:

i was wondering if there is any place you can buy this phone in the USA or online if there is please e-mail me i really like this phone. also i was wondering about what provider it would be with or if you need to make an account.

• allen says:

不怎么的

• Ekove says:

I fail to see who’d buy that in an age where we want more stuff in a smaller product.

It doesn’t look that great, and flat buttons/touch screen is absolute fail.

The design itself is hmmm…I do like the silhouette and the color choice. But doesn’t look so good with the details.

• VASILIY says:

WHERE TO BUY? VASSADESIGN@GMAIL.COM THANKS

• It’s well mention in the article.VoIP can be a benefit for reducing communication and infrastructure costs.VoIP can facilitate tasks and provide services that may be more difficult to implement using the PSTN.