The Softer Side of Hard Drives

Designing electronic gadgets specifically for women has always seemed like either an insult to their sensibilities or simple pink pandering. Either way, you run the risk of a ton of pink back stock or pissing them off. My advice, design gadgets for humans. Except when it is done to the high degree of slickness as this “Costume” Samsung 2.5″ Hard Drive by Joongoo Lee. Joongoo’s design was inspired by a ladies make-up compact found at the bottom of most hand bags. Fitting comfortably in the palm of your hand (not that hard drives need to be in the palm of your hand) this design makes me want to explore my feminine side a bit further. Do these jeans make me look fat?

Designer: Joongoo Lee

• carl says:

inspired by a ladies make-up compact – it may as well be pink. How Rude!

and looking at this design why would a man not be inclined to purchase it? compare this to the i-phone how genderspecific is that item?

• Júan-Lii says:

Yep she'll do.

• Heather says:

I have to say that I really appreciate the design of this hard drive. I’ve never seen a hard drive look so appealing! As a woman, there’s nothing more inconvenient than having to lug around another bag holding a hard drive, but with this option, it fits right in my purse or bag and blends right in. I personally appreciate this! And I’m definitely not insulted. I do have to say that I am very glad that it is NOT pink, lol! Girls like black too!

Thanks for the post!

• Júan-Lii says:

Yep she’ll do.

• Ian says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(graphical) – It’s worth reading.

I like the design of the drive, not really the dock, but it’s ok.

• IGreenSpot says:

oh come on, I bet men are craving for this device too, they are craving to sleek iphone, why not with this sleek hard drive ?

• Thera says:

Looks good, but indeed a man would buy it too

• Joongoo Lee says:

hello~ I’m Joon who is COSTUME’s designer.

I’m already designed for man’s device too.
    If I have a chance, I would like to uproad in here too.

My man’s device name is METRO SEXUAL (2.5″) and HIGH END (3.5″).
    Also, I designed one more woman’s device; DIARY (3.5″).

• Rene Lee says:

이거 혹시 삼성 공모전 출품작인가요?
      출품작중에서 못본거 같은데..
      멋집니다.

• Joongoo Lee says:

네 맞습니다 ^^

2007년도에 출품했던..
        이미지가 제가 보낸 원본이 아니라 편집이 좀 이상하게되서.. 좀 속상하네요 ^^;

감사합니다.^^

• Sharp, I like it.

• phi says:

yawn…

• carl says:

exactly my point there is no reason why i man would not want to buy this too.

as a hard drive that is portable and has a contemporary aesthetic it works, but for both genders..

i understand as a reflection of self the women appeals to the curves and the man to masculine forms (whatever they are) but this is surely neutral? how do products become genderspecific if not through colour rather than shape?

• Inspired1 says:

Not impressed

Add a few curves + apply PVD mirror finsih = job done (looks like a student project)

• C says:

코너에 런닝라인이 좀 이상해요….
    기본 형태를 아크 그린 후 라운드로 처리하셨나봐여….

• Joongoo Lee says:

아니요 그렇게 처리하지 않았습니다.

어디가 이상하시단 거죠?

• Maria says:

Ergonomics and a very refined look will make this gadget desirable for all of those looking for a cool looking phone. Women like to buy accessories that look refined and stylish so this design would be a hit. It does NOT scream “soft” -weak-, so guys will be appealed to. I don’t think that attraction takes away from the phone as much as reiterating design as a very strong value point for any body – – MOST people nowadays.

• parksungkuk says:

내가 즐겨 찾는 사이트에서 선배님 디자인을 보니.. 느낌이 새롭습니다.. ^^ 보스턴에서도 더 좋은 모습 보여 주시길.. ^^

• dkennelly says:

Quite nice design. Could the drive have a usb connector on it that can connect to a normal usb cable AND a connector IN the dock so that you don’t have to pull out a cable at work/home?