Body Armor + Fashion Design = Armorni?

Who says protecting yourself from sniper attacks or chemical warfare needs to be ugly business? Certainly not Dutch designer Tim Smit. His “Urban Security Suit” will be all the rage in a war zone near you. Made of stylish neoprene and strategically lined with body molded kevlar, this runway show stopper will be THE must have accessory for your next war, skirmish, struggle, conflict, combat zone or civil strife you find yourself in or starting. Aeon Flux eat your heart out.

Designer: Tim Smit

• Ghazwa says:

Love it….

• carl says:

waste of time…

• maria says:

Great pictures! Love the sweater! I would definitely wear it!

• Freshome says:

When you are at war, you care more about fashion that your own life ? Let’s keep the fashion part separated from this …

• shaun says:

your so stupid, all of you are, this isn’t for war, it’s for protection in the future. I would buy this to go on a trip to London and feel safe, it doesn’t mean I have to look like a riot policeman. it’s not for war, it’s personal deffence against knife crime. which happens alot lately. jesus, step outside the box for a moment will ya.

• Rich says:

Personally, I don’t need gas mask capabilities to protect myself from a person with a knife. I feel like this idea is a bit over the top… unless it can be mass produced and extremely cheap amounts.

• jarrett says:

kevlar doesn’t protect against knifes. it only protects you from bullets and some flying shrapnel. for knife attacks you would need chain mail

• Toby says:

Uh, no. Kevlar does protect against blade attacks.

• Tanke Ojeda says:

nope, in fact, some british police mans died from knike attacks in the 90's with they're kevlars on… since thats, brtish police wears chain mailed kevlar vests… get your facts rigth.

• Tanke Ojeda says:

• Toby says:

I think this might actually draw enemy fire. I mean look at it. Might as well put a bulls-eye on the front AND back. SNIPER TARGET!

• TH says:

War and combat need not to be made cool. All this “urban guerrilla” -bullshit that we see (fashionable in countries that live in deepest peace) seems like an insult to those millions of people who still live in war zones of continuous threat of violence.

Reminds me of the Derelicte-line in Zoolander. Just not funny.

• Feline says:

LOVE IT Great pictures and cool design!

• ARP says:

Interesting concept- I’m not sure I’d make it so obvious I have armor over my heart and spine (which leaves a lot of area to still kill a person- BTW). Maybe add a few panels for a few more vital areas and to creat the impression of a pattern.

• Takō says:

The main body is Kevlar; the heart-patch and spinal strip seem to be decorative aside from encasing extra protection.

• Takō says:

• FThorn says:

with so many places on earth NOT allowing one to carry defensive weapons, this cladding/shielding is the ONLY sensible thing left for one wishing to preserve their health and safety.

Reminds me of a CRACKED magazine (I think) cartoon of a modern day person. With a scarab-like shell on one’s back, and other things similar to this offering.

• cylonite says:

is it taser-proof?

• Gary_7vn says:

Good point, being taser proof is probably much more useful than the thin useless Kevlar patches. No way is that Kevlar going to protect you against anything other than a a scrape or a very weak interaction with a sharp object! As for it being a defence against any kind of knife/gun attack — forget it. In fact thin kevlar in the case of gunshot will get caught on the bullet and lodge inside your body complicating surgery, and increasing the damage and the likelihood of infection.

I think will me see more use of hoodies as ‘protection’ against pervasive and ubiquitous video surveillance; at least until the next Bush administration makes it illegal.

And finally where are the pockets? Or are we supposed to ‘survive’ with just our hoodie, good looks and common sense?

Neoprene sucks too, too hot.

• Cloud Levi says:

Drive-stun proof, yes. Neoprene is yet another artificial insulative rubber. I imagine it would stop electricity ratherwell. As for barb tasers… …I have no idea how resilient neoprene is.

• Cloud Levi says:

• maria says:

Shoudn’t be taken so seriously. It is not made for war, I think it reflects the current society of ‘living in fear’. And its really wel done!

• fluxlasers says:

This was done in the 90’s by a UK company called Vexed Generation.
    They did loads of different designs for jackets, coats, and hoodies including stab proof panels, extra padding around vital areas, and gas masks. I believe they were originally designed for activists/extremists on demonstrations, riots, gangs, and other dubious urban activities.
    I’ve got a Vexed Generation hooded “ninja” fleece with extra padding in the hood to help protect from blows to the head (not that I get into situations that require it). The style is very similar to the one pictured, i.e. tight fitting around the arms and torso, but the hood is far cooler… and it’s black. When it’s fully zipped up only the eyes are visible. I reckon it would be a bit too hot in the heat of battle, but it does make you look mean as hell. I only use it for festivals and outdoor parties (the padded hood is extra warm, great for chilling out on cold nights).

• jose ortiz says:

i really want this right now as is if this is a prototype i will buy it if the designer read this “i WANT THIS, HOW MUCH”

• bookmark says:

Bad design, bad photograph… and the idea isn’t even impressing.

• Bowler Hat says:

Am I the ONLY one who finds this incredibly badass? It’s like I’m 12 again!

• Gabriela says:

Moda que debe imponerse en Argentina.

• AD says:

this guys never worn a wetsuit before. That thing would be impossible to get off!

• igreenspot says:

I don’t like this design, I won’t wear it even if someone gave it to me for free

• katia.ka says:

im enchanted by you

• Tim says:

I wonder if the padding on it would provide enough protection to use on a motorcycle.

• Nick says:

thats what i was thinking. it might also be good for parkour. extra spine protection. but it needs to breath more.

• Dev says:

looks so cool!!! but than it is so unpratical….. guess someone is gonna call the police when u enter a shop with the mask on

• Ahart says:

it is a very cool hoody the gas mask is a little over the top but just the hoody itself is very stylish

• Pieter de Leeuw says:

Good job.. Timmie!!
    looking good!!
    mooie foto’s, goed bezig jongen!!

• freemad says:

the whole war zone thing is werd but it is an awsome disigne

• Noah says:

Looks kinda emo-like, but I want one!

• Canastrophy says:

This could be an interesting suit for cameramen and reporters in warones, all you’d have to do is add a thicker layer of kevlar on it.

• [D]3voLutioN says:

OMFG!
    THIS IS LIEK AWESOME!
    I WOULD SOOOOOO BUY IT.

I love unusual fashion <3

• devon knight says:

let’s get serious…

• Kunie says:

Love it.
    I would wear it. Can I buy it?

• Fitz says:

If this was made to the public I would pay good money for it !!!

• This Kid says:

I would buy this in a heartbeat. Beautiful design.

• Kenny Yap says:

LOL … Perfect target ….

Sniper no longer need a photo to know who to shoot at …

• drew says:

where do i buy this crap

• eric y says:

so how much would this cost?

• Luca says:

Where to buy it?????

• LER says:

To Tim Smit
    How can I go about buying one of these I REALLY want one it’s such a good looking jacket

• Cj says:

I think this is an awesome idea. fashion and protection all in one. the only problem is, where do i buy a gas mask lol

• I would love to try this on me. Very fashionable at the same time it can be a protection.

• devious says:

Maybe slightly impractical for your average person…but I’m not your average person. I love this…people are stupid, obviously they know nothing about fashion. Everybody will be stuff like this in the future. I want one but it looks expensive. Gas mask was perfect… not over the top. Jesus haven’t you people seen euro fashion.

• Morgan says:

How much and where can I get one?

• Hailey says:

This would be really awesome for active protesters and rioters 😀
    I want one, how much?!

• James says:

seriously! I can’t find where this is!!!
      Is it just a concept? Or is it available to buy!?

• isaac says:

YES…but where do I get it? I have searched and searched and I don’t find it anywhere.

• colby says:

the kevlar cant stop things like knives or any cutting or stabing objects. But myabe incorperate a little “dragonskin” would help it be more multi-purpose. the design is still amazing to look at without the gas mask.

• peter says:

he has a website,

• lollipop.leo says:

wow, so many people getting worked up over a fashionable item of clothing. if you aren’t going to wear it yourself, why make such a big deal?

• tommy says:

fashion good, war bad. chicken hawks, boooooo

• Chris says:

if the fabric itself was slash proof or at least slash resistant that’d be nice. Just a few kevlar plates wont help too much. Other than that, a few pouches to add plates on the inside would be nice. And if it was breezy, but baggy so you could have another layer of concealable armor underneath it then it would be nice. Not for war, but for a jog in the bronx without dying.

• sharktooth says:

I like it. Nice bullet-gas proof parkour outfit.This seems good for extra spinal protection on those 15 jumps and if I piss off a business man by jumping around his roof I won’t have to worry about getting killed by a bullet to the chest.

• Lucien says:

Honestly, I’m thinking that this is just a concept. Art made as a social statement about the frightful times that we live in. Oh yes, this is a very cool design, but until I see it on the market, I won’t be fully convinced that these men mean to actually sell it. But wear it for protection? Never. The Kevlar isn’t nearly thick enough and neoprene doesn’t breathe.

• Flint says:

Wow cool! I could’ve worn this when I got shot.