Sweet Gadgets to NOT die for…

Diabetics have it pretty rough. Aside from the constant life threatening condition, seriously restricted diets and painful monitoring of glucose levels in their blood, diabetics often have to suffer the indignity of carrying around some seriously ugly industrial design. Taking monitoring and treatment systems into his own hands, designer Sascha Morawetz has created this pair of Diabetic tools that should alleviate some of the pain and shame usually associated with this illness. The inhaler, dubbed “Ninos AS”, generates an insulin aerosol, replacing the common insulin pen. A special thread allows an exact adjustment of the insulin dose. Incorporating a bloodless glucose measurement system, the “Ninos GL” can also be used as a diary, useful for collecting statistics for optimizing therapy. Though the Ninos GL looks remarkably like a Sony-Ericsson mobile phone, next time your date offends you by “texting” at the dinner table, he or she just might be saving a life…their own.

Designer: Sascha Morawetz

• igreenspot says:

smart design, talk about life science, I don’t see much breakthrough these days

• Florian says:

I have Diabetes (Type I) and really like the design of the Ninos GL glucometer. The diary function is very important (it is something my current and not very pretty glucometer can do already, but not all devices can do that). I do not really like the inhalator, because I would rather stick to insulin injections rather than inhalations, and also because I really love the design of my current insulin pen, the Novo Nordisk Novo Pen 3, which was designed by Bang & Olufsen. The newer Novo Pen 4, which I also have, is not too bad, but not B&O, unfortunately.

• Interesting designs. Inhaled insulin seems to be going away as a concept. Did you see the Charmr design concepts?

I’d love to see some innovative designs for insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors. I believe the demand for these will increase over time and we could do a lot better than the things we’re currently stuck with.

• A design contest related to diabetes devices just started today. More details at

• dzhanti says:

Hi. Where can i buy “Ninos GL”?

• KF says:

Where I can buy “Ninos GL”?

• KF says:

I live in H.K. How can I get “Ninos GL”?

• Ben Law says:

I want to know where can I buy the “Ninos GL” ?

• sujin says:

Where can i buy “Ninos GL”?
    상용화가 된건가요?

• Ha To says:

T want to know where can I can buy the Ninos GL?

• Johnny Ip says:

I live in H.K. How can I get “Ninos GL”?
    Please help me I really need it.

• fargleton says:

if you make this a reality in the next 5 years, I WILL buy it!

• fargleton says:

if you make this a reality in the next 5 years, I WILL buy it!

• W Popma says:

I get sick of these promised non-invasive glucosemeters. They only show you're good at making mock-ups, the real product NEVER appears on the market (have been looking at these kind of pictures for at least 10 years now).