Bruce Wayne Says What?

Look out Mickey Mouse, “Batphones” are about to take over where your pathetic plastic ears only look cute and cuddly. Designed to enhance any sound coming from in front of you, these plastic prosthetic ears slip on as easy as a hair band, not that I ever wore a head band. Why didn’t I just say; as easy as a pair of headphones? Anyway, moving on. Designed by Matthias Ries, these ear extensions are not meant to replace traditional in-ear hearing aides, they were more designed for people with only slight difficulty hearing. Made from one piece of injection molded plastic, the Batphones are a cheap and quick solution when you need the volume turned up just a notch at movies, plays or hunting moths at midnight. Watch for Batphone earrings coming to an elderly tattoo parlor near you.

Designer: Matthias Ries

• pevans34 says:

hahaha oh man thats great. this is like the modern day equivelent of those olden day ear horns

• Keebler says:

These could actually be fun. If you cup both hands around your ears you get a similar effect (though your hands wouldn’t reflect high frequencies like these), and it’s surprisingly cool/effective.

• david says:

um, i didn’t know that the Batphone sales reps were technically advanced enough to know how to comment on, much less find the Internet. But then again they don’t have both hands cupped around their ears anymore so they CAN type now. wow.

• paul sandip says:

quite interesting! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Nacon says:

It’s retarded…. we already have hearing aids!

• TH says:

This has a serious purpose. First of all, these would cost a tiny fraction of a hearing aid. Second, as Anthony says these would be for those cases of mild hearing loss where the hassle or cost of hearing aid wouldn’t be justified. Moreover, many people at first have difficulties in focusing their hearing to the source, or separating the signal from the background noise, if you will. These (or the traditional horn) would help in this, as you effectively not only focus on the sounds coming from ahead of you, but also block out any sounds coming from the behind. And leaving your hands free for reading, knitting, or playing Doom on your Emmerdale case-mod XBox 360 is a good thing, too.

• Henrique Staino says:

Retarded is your comment.
      “we already have hearing aids!”???
      Are you sure you are interested in design?

• TH says:

To be a true batphone, this should come in black.

• Mike says:

I think any money saved by not puying the traditional hearing aid would be more than made up for in prescriptions for zoloft, or wellbutrin, or visits to a psychologist to treat the depression that the wearer would undoubtedly suffer from wearing these in public and enduring never-ending mockery.

• Bruce Wayne says:

It looks very silly, what are they are for anyway?

Batman is more cool then that?

• tar says:

there may actually be a market for these

unfortunately that market is furries D:

• Susie says:

oh my gosh.. this is so hilarious!!! should put it i the market…..hahhahaha

• Ron Mitchell says:

How can I buy a pair of the Batphone Ear Extensions; they are what I have been hoping were somewhere in existence! They’d be perfect for movies, where I never hear the low voice comments. And they would work better than my hearing aids in that they would deliver the exact sound, not a reproduced electronics sound that really doesn’t do it.

I have been trying to dream up a way to home-make a pair of these. I need them; where can I buy a pair??

Thank you … Ron Mitchell [email protected]

• Stainless Steel Bisc says:

Perhaps you could try using a homemade vacuum former to heat some plastic sheeting over a varnished clay or plaster mold. MAKE magazine had an article on how to build a vac former and there are probably plans online too.

The thin and uniform thickness and symmetry of form look suited to vac forming, plus the materials wouldn't be all that expensive.

• Stainless Steel Biscuit says:

The thin and uniform thickness and symmetry of form look suited to vac forming, plus the materials wouldn’t be all that expensive.

• make_it_simple says:

How about a beer plastic cup cut in halves, a regular hair band, and some glue… @@

• Kristie says:

I’d like to get a pair for watcing TV; how do you get more information (cost, colors, sizes) and order them?? Kristie

• tabiji says:

It’ll make you look stupid.

• Antonio says:

To those mindless few whom has taken time to post stupid comments like "we have hearing aids already" you're not hearing the needs of others . . . . This is a good design! There are others http://www.soundcatcherhearingdevice.com/ a lot more attrative and they offer about 5 different wood and polycarb designs check it out. SOUNDCATCHER is available in several styles and sizes in resonant polymers, priced $34.99. Above: Owl, Resonator, Amplitude SOUNDCATCHER is still produced the original way, by hand one at a time with layers of solid hardwood. These models are made to order and include wood species selection and custom fitting in the Soundcatcher studio. Pricing from $475. 6 weeks delivery. Lifetime warranty

• Antonio says:

To those mindless few whom has taken time to post stupid comments like “we have hearing aids already” you're not hearing the needs of others . . . . This is a good design! There are others http://www.soundcatcherhearingdevice.com/ a lot more attrative and they offer about 5 different wood and polycarb designs check it out. SOUNDCATCHER is available in several styles and sizes in resonant polymers, priced $34.99. Above: Owl, Resonator, Amplitude SOUNDCATCHER is still produced the original way, by hand one at a time with layers of solid hardwood. These models are made to order and include wood species selection and custom fitting in the Soundcatcher studio. Pricing from $475. 6 weeks delivery. Lifetime warranty

• Cate says:

I want to purchase this item!! Where can I get one? I am hard of hearing, and wear a set of very expensive hearing aids, that can only take me so far. In large rooms, I need something to scoop the sound. My arms become weary of scooping my ear for extended periods of time, and the speaker tends to raise his/her voice, when it’s not volume I need as much as clarity. Amazing how much better I hear when I cup my hands around my ears. I don’t give a damn what I look like, I want to hear!!

• The key reason why I stick with this web page is since I do believe you actually do usually give a somewhat distinct slant on points to a lot
    of alternative websites so congrats: )

• Dave says:

Yes I definitely think they would work better in a black colour to be fair ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks , I have just been searching for information approximately this topic
    for ages and yours is the best I’ve came upon till now. However, what about the bottom line? Are you certain in regards to the source?

• Hargil says:

Batphone looks like a brilliant solution! I will definitely buy this for my mother if I can find out where it is sold. Please post that info!
    Another brilliant, low-tech device that enhances hearing and supports conversation is the HearMeDear. It increases sound level by 400%, without distortion. So it’s helpful for people with moderate to severe hearing loss. Costs about $35 and does not look dorky. (But who cares about looks if an affordable tool restores the ability to have conversations?) Go to http://www.hearmedear.com/

(Silly boys and girls who mock these devices, you are accumulating dreadful karma!)