Home for the Modern Bird

Designer Alejandra Castelao gives the traditional birdhouse a total facelift with this unorthodox design, the Nido Birdhouse. Made from ceramic and coated with a lead-free glaze, this geometric, multifaceted home is better shaped to resist the elements, and sports a futuristic feel our feathered friends are sure to appreciate.

Designer: Alejandra Castelao

• Ray says:

I’m sure the birds will really appreciate the futuristic feel (sarcasm). The shaping to resist the elements is nice but it might also be nice to camouflage the house (same color as the tree) so that predators don’t see a big white thing on a tree and decide to investigate.

• bambi says:

I think its a great and organic design, the thing about it not being the same colour as the tree makes the whole point of design.
    It would be awesome to see all the trees of a big city coloured with this bird houses, and why not, some colour birds as well.
    amazing and proudly made in mexico!

• marc says:

I like the shape but certainly not for a birdhouse. I agree with the color issue and I’m sorry to say that this shape is clearly not organic bambi. The shape may be great to resist elements but the fact is that rain will come inside. I think the opening need to be repositioned. It’s really nice but I think need more work on it

• engineering_thoughts says:

Has “organic” truly lost all of it’s meaning?

Organic:
    >1. Of, relating to, or derived from living matter: “organic soils”.
    >2. Of, relating to, or denoting compounds containing carbon (other than simple binary compounds and salts) and chiefly or ultimately of biological origin

Juxtaposed against a tree – it’s very clear this is far from an organic shape or design. Perhaps in a subterranean crystal cave – this would fit in. But you won’t find any birds there. The design and proposed implementation lack organic context.

• Johnny says:

The Nido Birdhouse — for the most discerning and pretentious of our avian friends.

• Kim says:

I agree, this is not an organic design it’s a faceted surface design. I do however consider it highly original. We must keep in mind this is a concept, as most of the work posted on Yanko is. As to whether or not our avian friends might like it as an abode, who ever said miniature wooden human houses were of their liking anyway? And those are all over the place.

I for one am a supporter of new proposals and ideas that break from the traditional and I think Nido does just that.

Keep up the good work!

• MDesigns says:

It actually looks terrible on the tree. As far as I can tell, birds make their own nests, why would we pretend to help them out is beyond comprehension. I understand a birdhouse to add charm to the backyard, but not this….I love the “stealth” shape as in interior wall sconce in a modern home.

• chris lopez says:

a wood version would be nice.

• 宋倩茹 says:

我也在做关于鸟窝的课题,无意中看见了你的设计。
    我想设计的鸟窝让鸟儿与人类更加亲近些,在中国城市的建设把生态都破坏了,设计个鸟窝可以在里面放些食物,让鸟儿有个暂时栖息的场所。
    Ary you agree white my idear?

• 宋倩茹 says: