We Officially Launch CKIE.COM

One of the great joys of writing for YD is the opportunity to see how designers envisage the future. Your ideas, concepts and even comments piece together a tapestry rich in optimism but one of the most commonly asked questions are “where can I buy it?” Because of your enthusiasm for design, I want to officially announce the launch of CKIE.COM, a new way to empower you to pioneer innovation.

Explore your CKIE

It all started with a name – one that exemplifies and encapsulates everything that makes a creative idea successful. We stumbled on an obscure mathematical equation by a group of think tanks; CKIE – the formula for creativity.

C (creativity) is a function of K (knowledge), I (imagination) and E (evaluation).

CKIE is a wonderful platform we built from the ground up to get ideas off conceptual papers and into the hands of consumers. This is crowd funding tailored for the designer and design enthusiast alike. It’s global, open to everyone in the world. Design is international. It’s not unique to any one region in the world. Big or small, it doesn’t matter if you’re an independent designer. We here at YD have always supported the independents and CKIE is no different. This is an opportunity for you to retain creative control by empowering you to reach for your goals.

With CKIE you get a Dedicated Account Manager, someone who supports and makes sure your project has a compelling story. You won’t ever be alone because someone is always there to help bring your concept to reality. Goods ideas deserve to be spread and with the help of Yanko Design’s broad audience, we’ll spotlight your project right here, accessible by the millions of readers who follow Yanko Design.

What are you waiting for? Explore your CKIE (seeky).

• Ah… so this is ” target=”_blank”>http://www.kickstarter.com for product design/launch? And kickstarter already has product design functionality?

The differentiation for this new crowdsourced funding model appears to be:
    1. the Yanko brand (which doesn't appear in the CKIE site) and reach
    2. the Dedicated Account Manager (not identified or defined in the CKIE site, btw)
    3. the costs apparently ($25 CKIE vs ~10% kickstarter).

What did I miss?

Cheers,
    Mike

• WanabeDez says:

From what I can see, on the surface, it looks similar like most other crowdfunding sites out there. But NONE of them have the marketing power that yanko has. And that's huge.

We know as designers when a design makes the cut and gets featured here, it simply just goes viral on the net. That's thousands of dollars saved on marketing cost alone.

• engineering_thoughts says:

Does yankodesign really have such marketing power? Since such a thing can be measured empirically…

Alexa Site Rank (Lower is Better)
        Yankodesign.com: 5,110
        Kickstarter.com: 3,180

Sites Linking in (higher is better)
        Yankodesign.com: 5,674
        Kickstarter.com: 6,784

Of course, there are other metrics to measure by – Alexa Analytics is quick (and I am privvy to such data).

That aside, the name is clever (I totally appreciate it as a designer and engineer), but the target audience (customers) will neither appreciate it nor quickly convert “seeky dot com” to ckie.com – that is an uphill branding issue.

I totally like the $25 entrance fee – weeds out a lot of junk. The 5% cut for funded projects is also reasonable.

While I'm not married to kickstarter, I'm not sold on ckie.

• Mike Barnard says:

Marketing power to a specific demographic I think is the key. Being an inveterate troller (and funder) of kickstarter projects, it has a very diverse set of things that get funded: music, books, graphic novels, films, consumer products, art installations, travel costs, small business start up, laser cut coffee kiosks.

One would assume that Yanko's audience of design literate and educated people are much more clearly focused on consumer product design. As such, Yanko's crowdsourcing would be more likely to fund those things, versus the greater likelihood of them being lost in kickstarter, or just not getting critical mass.

I'm interested to see how the experiment plays out.

Cheers,
          Mike

• engineering_thoughts says:

I totally agree with everything you've said. My concern is that targeting a specific demographic is

a) limiting in scope
            b) misses the target audience

While product designers are customers, a majority of customers are not (unless the product is for product designers). To reach scale, the marketing reach needs to be beyond the designer. The dockster product, for example, needs to reach the apple user base. While there is cross section between product designers and apple products – targeting that cross section fails to reach the broader audience that is the customer.

I guess my main point is – relying on Yankodesign's marketing power as claimed in an earlier comment is a setup for unwarranted failure. The same applies to kickstarter or any other crowd sourced funding scheme. At the end of the day, that responsibility rests on the shoulders of the designers to get the word out to the applicable channels.

I should be clear (for whomever might casually pass by this post). I'm not against ckie and while I did say I'm not sold – I can be. I make decisions based on data – sufficient data doesn't exist for ckie at the moment. I do, of course, wish the designers the best of luck in getting their products to market (I can attest to that difficulty).

Cheers!

• ndsgn says:

Wonderful project. Every such project that pushes creativity, and equal opportunity is one great step for humanities well being in the future

• ndsgn says:

• WanabeDez says:

• engineering_thoughts says:

doh! I just noticed "seeky" – the very last word of the very last line. My apologies.

It still doesn't invoke a sense of launch. Certainly a sense of need though…

• engineering_thoughts says:

Alexa Site Rank (Lower is Better)
      Yankodesign.com: 5,110
      Kickstarter.com: 3,180

Sites Linking in (higher is better)
      Yankodesign.com: 5,674
      Kickstarter.com: 6,784

That aside, the name is clever (I totally appreciate it as a designer and engineer), but the target audience (customers) will neither appreciate it nor quickly convert "seeky dot com" to ckie.com – that is an uphill branding issue.

While I'm not married to kickstarter, I'm not sold on ckie.

• Mike Barnard says:

I'm interested to see how the experiment plays out.

Cheers,
        Mike

• engineering_thoughts says:

a) limiting in scope
          b) misses the target audience

Cheers!

• WanabeDez says:

• engineering_thoughts says:

doh! I just noticed “seeky” – the very last word of the very last line. My apologies.

It still doesn't invoke a sense of launch. Certainly a sense of need though…

• I guess this will also have to outdo http://www.quirky.com, which provides product finalization and channel. I'm not sure it can compete with kickstarter and quirky. Interesting to find out.

Cheers,
    Mike

• I guess this will also have to outdo ” target=”_blank”>http://www.quirky.com, which provides product finalization and channel. I'm not sure it can compete with kickstarter and quirky. Interesting to find out.

Cheers,
    Mike

• You could not be more factual

• This definitely makes great sense!!!

• WLS says:

Well, many months on, actually it’s been over a year already (How time flies!!), it’s clear to see that CKIE.com is not working out.

I guess designers aren’t that supportive of other designers, and somehow, CKIE isn’t reaching the mass market which may actually want its products.