Disadvantaged Little Tyke Can Swim!

It’s quite a heart breaking sight to watch wheelchair bound children not taking advantage of the swimming pool due to their limitations. The Little Mermaid is a floatation aid that is aimed at such children. It comes fitted with a hand-wheel that helps the child to navigate across the pool independently. So besides some hand exercise, the child can enjoy waddling in the water! Sweet!

Designers: Soyeon Park, Taeyeong Park & Hyeonjee Lee

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

• It’s quite a heart breaking sight to watch wheelchair bound children not taking advantage of the swimming pool due to their limitations.

• Gaetan Kerck says:

The Ferrari of floatation devices =)
      Would like to see the VW Golf solution (more simplex). Attached paddles to flap the water prehaps. Exercise guaranteed!

• Gaetan Kerck says:

The Ferrari of floatation devices =)

• Espen says:

How does it steer? weight shifting?

• Espen says:

How does it steer? weight shifting?

• soyeon says:

This product can't steer. We intend the disabled children to play freely with their friends in the water.

• Clare says:

You would be surprised at how well “wheelchair bound” kids can swim. I used to teach kids with cerebral palsy how to swim. The buoyancy of water makes it easier to stand up. I had one kid who had recently had surgery to lengthen his leg muscles to make it easier to walk. The surgery made him weak but in the pool he could chase me.

I would be wary of this type of flotation device because it limits the amount of work the child has to do. Perhaps it would be useful for completely paralyzed children.

• Clare says:

• KatieAnn says:

I am looking for a floatation device for my younger sister. Does this come in different sizes and does it work well for older, taller adults? Where can I look for to buy one of these and about how much do they cost? Thank you my sister would be too happy if she could get back in the pool again, but she is starting to get too big for me to carry around in the pool so some kind of swimming floater would be amazing to have. Thank You!

• Jessica Lott says:

I am looking for something for my son. He is handicapped and is in a wheel chair. He as well has cerebral palsy and has no self control at all, but his most favorite thing is to be in the water. He is now almost 10 this summer and is getting big. Was wondering if had something to fit to assist me. He is almost to heavy for me, but cant support himself at all? Please and thank you for your help.

• Anna Kirkland says:

It this an inflatable or solid plastic. My does not allow inflatables.

• Anna Kirkland says:

sorry for the missing words.

Is this an inflatable?

My pool doesn’t allow inflatables.

• Numra says:

I hope that blade at the back of the device wouldn’t hurt other children in the pool.

• Roxy says:

Boom shakalaka boom boom, proeblm solved.

• Sophia says:

How much is it, and where can we purchase it. We have a handicapped male who just turned 10 and weights 87# as of today, he has no feeling below the waist and will never walk. He loves the water.

• Freda says:

Where can I purchase this and how much? What is the weight limit for this? This would be perfect for my son. I have a 9 yr old with Cerebral palsy and he weighs 80 lbs.

• janaina says:

Do you have it available for selling.My kid has a disability, can´t walk. He´s 6 years old and 24 kilos.

• jennifer mccall says:

I love it! Please consider a large size! I have 16 year old twin boys with CP and there is NOTHING available to allow them to be in the water hands free. Most devices are neck collars which just suspend the child by the head in the water. My sons love to play basketball and to be in a device that would allow that would be a game-changer!

• marisol says:

how can i buy this mermaid boat and how much is it?

• Crystal says:

how much is it and where can you get one at. I have a 6 year old little boy that is wheelchair bound. I would love to get it for him he is 37 pounds

• j wilson says:

Could you pls advise me where you can buy this swimming aid!
      Would be most grateful! For any feed back!

• fred says:

where can i buy this swimming aid

• I am looking to purchase some of the Little Mermaids, so I just wanted to see how much each of these floating deevices costs.

• Lexi says:

Please I would like to know if this product is going to be put on the market. I can not find it any where. Please tell me how I can get something like this..

• brandy bly says:

How much are these and how much weight can it hold ..my son has cp and cant walk

• Marcelo Garrido says:

Please, I would buy this product. Could you send me more information?