A Straight Line

The Constrained Ball is one of those concepts I can easily see myself buying from a late night infomercial. I’m not saying it’s bad but the novel approach to a simple kind of problem is endearing. Fitted with a rubber gasket, the gadget helps you draw straight lines and indicates the length. OMG, is this the end of the ruler’s dominance?!? No but I quite like this concept. I’m a stickler for drawing straight lines. It’s either gotta be straight and perfect or it’s a no-go for me.

Designer: Giha Woo

• anon says:

Not so good, it won't keep a line straight – you only need to look at the old hand-held scanners to see the problems. I'm also doubtful of how well it could measure a line – again look to analog map measuring tools and their relative inaccuracy. Then again, maybe I'm the only one who uses CAD for precise drawings these days.

• anon says:

• Golan says:

The concept does indeed make sence, It is not a wheel, it is a gear, a gear which creates traction. The traction would help you keep your hand steady. Obviously if you have Parkinson disease this wont help you, but then again a straight line is the least of your worry's at that point.

• anon says:

I suggest you know a little more about gears to call this one – it has straight knurling for traction but in no way would keep ones hand steady. That would require at least 1 more point of contact with the paper surface to give the minimum needed for stability. All in all, this is far more expensive an idea than simply using a ruler (or CAD).

• Golan says:

• anon says:

• Dan says:

This can't possibly work.

• chisel says:

the thing is a cool concept, i really like its simple design but rationalizing it i realize the the ruler would beat it where referencing another point is concerned for example connecting accurately two known points due to the lack of an angular absolute. however it surely looks workable to prevent unsure wobbly lines.

• Dan says:

This can't possibly work.

• chisel says:

• Jay says:

No way do to draw a straight line by freehand, I mean "exactly straight". It's gonna end up with ruler anyway.

• Jay says:

No way do to draw a straight line by freehand, I mean “exactly straight”. It's gonna end up with ruler anyway.

• the pieman says:

this is even worse that the spring loaded potato masher, why invent something that requires power and has moving parts and only sort of works when the ruler clearly is the weapon of choice here.

resign , immediately

• the pieman says:

resign , immediately

• Mlah says:

As a measuring tool sure it might be handy if you could fit the circuitry in such a tiny place. If you really want to draw a straight line you don’t even need a ruler, just use a piece of paper, or a book, or another pencil, or any number of straight edges that you are likely surrounded by.

• Mlah says:

• Mike R says:

For those who said you will still need a ruler to draw a straight line, a draftsmen doesn’t use a ruler to to draw a line; he uses a triangle.

• Steve says:

This would not work. I’ll stick with CAD when I need perfect drawings, and if I need a straight line I’ll grab my stapler or other notebook or coaster or you know… ruler.

• Steve says:

• A long roller (or two) instead of a little wheel would have more contact with the paper and be more stable… that really is the only way I see this design having a chance of working properly. Perhaps some sort of spring/suspension between the pen and said roller to accommodate different writing angles/pressures?

• @uopjo6 says:

There goes our touches

• @uopjo6 says:

There goes our touches

• Hank says:

For an artist with one usable hand this looks like a good idea. Where can I buy or find one to evaluate?

• Hank says:

• La says:

I think it is a great concept. But like all inventions, some quirks need to be worked out which is expected. But for people to outright bash this design is sad. I’m wondering what did they invent? Trust and believe if they invented something others would poke holes in it also. Perfection does not exist. Give the designer a break. Instead of poking all of those holes in his design, design something better to address your concerns! But usually people who speak badly about what others have created can not create a better product.

• mlah says:

The thing is your artist didn’t invent anything himself. He just said “Wouldn’t it be cool to have a device that would make you draw straight lines and magically measure distance, it’ll look like this. Man I am the best inventor ever” The artist doesn’t understand the basics of the necessary component and ignores things like practicality and the cost versus the benefits. Honestly its insulting to all those who actually work hard making real products. Its not about perfection its about artists pretending to be something they aren’t.

• Charley says:

If some one wants to be updated with latest technologies afterward he must be pay a quick
    visit this web site and be up to date daily.

• Mike R says:

For all those experts who said you need a ruler to draw a straight line, a draftsmen doesn’t use a ruler he uses a triangle

• This piece of writing offers clear idea designed for the new people of blogging,
    that actually how to do running a blog.

• Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a
    difficult time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution
    and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most
    blogs and I’m looking for something unique.

P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to
    ask!

• Orissa is in the process of working with group homes of dysfunctional children. Never wash your hair with very hot or very cold water.
    Heating dries up the hair, which can also create a lot of
    problems for your hair.

• The older you get, the more likely it is that you’ll start to experience
    thinning and hair loss. It is possible that combining the two hair
    loss products in a regimen can address the hair loss problem from two
    fronts. Because of this, you need to clean your hairs and make them
    tidy at all the times.

• Lawat leaf extracts are traditionally used in preventing hair loss, promoting hair growth and releaving itchiness and skin inflammation. A study published in The Journal of Dermatology revealed that
    chlorine causes discolouration and a change in hair texture.
    These products work the best in younger men who have only begun to
    lose their hair, and in those whose androgenetic alopecia is still in the early stages
    where hair is thinning but continuing to grow.

• It is winter and water is ice-cold, you can make it luke-warm.
    Spray roots and tips to speed hair growth and prevent split ends.
    In a world of increasing stress, it has become more
    common in both men and women.

• When he sells a home, he is generating profit for his job.
    We own our house, and we can stay here as long as
    we like. The Landlord will have to use the standard HUD approved lease,
    not their own lease. This is separate building on the property
    of the main home. This article has been flagged as spam,
    if you think this is an error please contact us. Ruby is an faultless instance of a purist’s fundamental thought of
    a wholesome object-oriented terminology with an easy-to-write and uphold
    syntax that should be any programmer’s vision come-true.

In all of the above cases, if an agreement cannot be reached between the parties as to the value attributable in the
    respective transaction then either party is at liberty to appeal to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal, which
    is an independent legal body that can settle certain types of
    leasehold dispute without the need to go to court. Parties are often offended
    by legalese set forth in well-drafted letters of intent.
    Ground rent directly relates to the land itself, belongs to the landlord and in no way
    forms part of the service charge monies which are leaseholder funds.
    By keeping a enough degree of the substance all the time, a person facilitates
    their bodies to make use of all what has been taken in a meal.

• A Los Gatos plumbing expert is a strategy to all of your plumbing
    Los Gatos problems. Being aware of when and if you have to call up a plumbing contractor is the first step in a quick and
    efficient repair which can last for years. Simply feed the auger into the pipe until
    the snake meets the obstruction.

• Anxiety and depression is common among hair loss sufferers, especially those experiencing total
    baldness. It can affect the appearance, confidence, and
    maybe even the self esteem of a person. The Hair Transplant Network gives an estimate of $4 to $8
    per graft for a FUT procedure and $6 to $10 per graft for
    a FUE procedure.

• You would be right depending on your understanding of certain points.
    Prepare a paste of gram (Cicer arietinum) flour in raw milk.
    It becomes difficult to treat these scars and
    therefore acne must be treated with the help of oral drugs
    and topical creams and lotions.

• Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest
    twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
    was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something
    like this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

• Claudia says:

Hello I am so happy I found your blog, I really found
    you by error, while I was looking on Aol for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would
    just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a
    all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have
    saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the excellent
    jo.

• Hello I am so thrilled I found your weblog, I really
    found you by mistake, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable post and
    a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I
    don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I
    have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read
    a lot more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

• Rohit says:

Very great idea I m also using cad in solid edge.
    Read something good at imparallel.blogspot.com

• wonderful submit, very informative. I wonder why the opposite
    experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must proceed your writing.
    I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!