Let’s Yank A British Plug

We all know what will happen if you yank a plug off the socket; the cable will snap internally or the plug-house will split open. It isn’t the wisest way to remove a plug from the socket! Unless you are using a 3 Pin British Plug! Just go right ahead and tug at the red-sweet spot. The reason why the cable or plug-house doesn’t snap, is that the cable is reinforced internally and the plug is made from durable PVC. Apparently the British have a rule that says, if a person trips over a cable, the plug shouldn’t snap to expose the wires and cause an electrocution. This design conforms to those norms, and so swears the designer!

Designer: Konstantinos Ladas

3 Pin British Plug by Konstantinos Ladas

3_pin_brit_plug2

3_pin_brit_plug3

• Aaron says:

“The cable is reinforced so that it would never come apart through its life spam.”

“Spam.”

That made me laugh this morning. :)

• bob says:

form beyond function??? i dont understand the point – why complicate the simple?

• Irfan KACHWALLA says:

LIFE SPAM!! Haha sorry im deviating from the point but that made my morning! :)

• The plug could be better looking.

Do we want to encourage people to pull plugs out of sockets by their cables? I think not

• plank says:

Also the issue with this design is that a lot of power sockets are directly behind furniture and so need to be as flush to the wall as possible. Can you imagine pushing the wardrobe against this and bending the cable to the point of damage ?

Good objective but bad implementation in my opinion. Certainly cable trips are becoming increasingly likely in our gadget driven world

I would rather have the cable coming out to align with the wall surface like a traditional plug and then provide an assistance cord to pull it out ?

Ideally (if this was feasible in the design and practical in the build) I would have the cable exit be able to rotate through 90 degrees and offer the red blob on the cable. When it is in use it hangs “flush” but when yanked it rotates 90 degrees allowing it to be easily pulled and so reduce damage etc.

• warren says:

I have designed an apparatus intended originally to help people with mobility disablities, and people who do maintenance work with vacuum cleaners;preventing the user from having to walk back and plug the chord back into the socket if pulled out. The design includes a back bracket behind the wall-plate,with top and bottom wings with bent ends(clips) for easy removal e.g. sliding left and right. The top holding bracket(with clips) has u-shaped slots left and right on the face to fit over the end of the wire plug with washers to prevent the plug from pulling out of the wall-socket,if needed. Since plugs on chords are different,there would have to be variable heights of the bracket produced. The application could be used to permantly hold a plug into the wall; but the design was not intended for that purpose. I don’t know what hard material to use e.g. molded plastic or molded metal. What do you all think? Warren

• H Torvisque says:

But where can I buy this thing?!?!?!

• warren says:

I’m currently working on the shop drawings, and building the hard material prototype. The “Chord Keeper” is not on the market yet.

• James says:

Nice to see an English plug design rather than keep seeing American ones that are trying to solve a problem the English did years ago. Saying that, I don’t see the purpose in this, what is the objective exactly? I don’t understand why anyone would want to pull the plug out via the lead. The red bit will look annoying and leads are thin, the red blobby bit is going to get in the way if I want a piece of furniture flush against the plug, making this whole design pointless anyway. I can’t think of any situation where this would be useful.

As someone already said here, when you push furniture against plugs, it’ll bend the cable and possibly break it, like it does on all American plugs. But the normal English plug that has been around for absolute decades is already designed so the cable points downwards to the floor and the plug itself is flat so no cables can be bent via impending furniture.

I can understand Americans trying to improve their plugs because they need improving but all they have to do is look at how English plugs already work to solve this. And seeing as English plugs are already pretty much perfect, I don’t understand what the purpose in this design is. The red thing is so close to the plug anyway that anyone you’re aiming it for like old people would still have to bend down and pull it at a 90 degree angle to get the plug out. As for cleaners accidentally pulling plugs out of the wall, that never happens! English plugs are firmly stuck in the wall and often need jiggling to get out. Pulling out via the lead by accident just doesn’t happen, especially to the point of needing a “solution” like this.

I’m afraid this appears to fall under the category of an awkward solution to a non existent problem. Why people keep trying to reinvent the plug I don’t know! Try something else people….please!!!