I’m a Little Teapot

Far from short and stout, the Rocking Teapot explores design behind intuition and perceived function. Everyone tips a teapot to pour it so why not integrate that function into the design? In many cultures tea ceremonies are tradition and time honored. The need for design to assist in the simple act of pouring and serving is personal and holds emotional meanings, not to mention beautiful.

Designer: Betina Piqueras

My Rocking Teapot by Betina Piqueras

my_rocking_teapot2

my_rocking_teapot3

my_rocking_teapot4

• WALTER says:

I LOVE IT! I WOULD SO BUY ONE…

• Ken says:

I love the idea, but this is the EXACT same idea I have seen in Art Center from a student a little over a year ago, and was presented with the concept, ideation, and finalized full scale model to many ID professionals at the time.

• b says:

It was done by Mark Huang in the Spring of 08, for Norm Schureman’s Product One class. http://www.coroflot.com/public/image_file.asp?portfolio_id=1598408

• Pingback: 100casa
  • Daeve says:

I like Huang’s pot better (all wood frame, and 2 spouts). I may have to make myself one.

• anne says:

betina’s teapot is supposed to be more functional and help disabled people to pour. and is also beautiful and poetic!

• Ken says:

I like the idea of functionality and able to help disabled people, but I think Betina’s design is lack of research on what’s out there and originality. I do NOT believe that Betina’s teapot is MORE functional than Huang’s teapot, but I do see laziness in Betina’s design execution by just adding two spheres to the sides of an existing teapot, then put it on a rack and called it the day. take a look closely, especially the handle and the bottom of her teapot, I really don’t have to have the rack. however, Huang’s design made it a must to have the rack, it’s almost impossible to pour without a handle, since there are two spouts. also, take a look at the bottom of the teapot, it’s not meant to be set down on the table, so the rack is a must have, which created unity in the design since both the rack and the teapot needed each other, plus, there are two cups to hint that it’s for two people, not just one, which means that there are more human interaction than Betina’s lonely tea drinker.

• Yuuta says:

It looks dangerous. Like it could tip over if you so much bump the pot.

If it’s meant for disabled people, there’s not much point. Even if it’s a rocking teapot there is still minimum lifting of the handle and to get the last drops of tea you have to increase the degree of tilt/lifting and you’d have to take extra care to not over tilt and spill. It’s much safer to have someone else help pour for you or just use tea bags if you are a disabled person who would have trouble with a normal teapot.

• b says:

beautiful and useful

• sarah says:

I CHECKED BOTH TEAPOTS AND FOUND DIFFERENT STYLES. BOTH ARE LOVELY! ARE THEY ON SALE?

• Harry Wind says:

Sorry to say: This idea is a (bad) and inconsequent remake of a design of Luigi Colani called Zen from 1973. You can google many pictures of it and it looks much younger than this “design”.

• anne says:

The designs are not even similar.
      They have totally different styles. I believe that there can be many kinds and styles of teapots.
      I don’t find the point of trying to compare it with other designs that only share the rocking concept..