Magical Transparent Fireplace

The beauty of the Electrolux Fireplace is that it stands out as this opaque ceramic column that slowly turns translucent to transparent, as the flames flare up. Upon cooling down the column goes back to being the white shaft it was. Kinda like now-you-see-it-now-you-don’t. Maybe the impending winter has something to do with it, but I think this design is awesome! The video is cool too.

Designer: Camillo Vanacore

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

Electrolux Fireplace by Camillo Vanacore

• Meg says:

Where can I buy it? :)

• frezzingaces says:

how does it not get soot all at the top, seeing it is a yellow flame?

• Jon C. says:

is it just me, or is there no vent? No chance this thing has enough oxygen to keep a flame, or even start for that matter. Great render/animation though.

• Confucius says:

Nice work on the rendering, but as they say where there smoke there’s fire, no smoke no fire. This can’t work. Not only does a fire need to be fed oxygen from below it needs somewhere to go. See what happens when you put a glass over a tea-light candle.

• Jeremiah says:

LOL, it goes back to being a “white shaft” XP

Anyway, besides the wine talking above, this doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. I thought they were projected flames for a second, but the fact that they’re real just seems troublesome. Pass.

• Chris says:

Well if it doesn’t interest you then don’t write anything. No one needs your approval to like this. But thanks anyways. Idiot!

• JFK says:

There’s some thingamajig at the top (connected to the bottom with a pipe) that might explain the absence of soot.
      Some sort of suction device maybe that would prevent presure buildup and thereby venting trough the air vents at the bottom (which would otherwise make oxygen supply impossible).
      Just leaves the question where the heat from the drawn off air goes to, dissipated through the metal ring at the bottom perhaps?

But anyway that flame animation looks totally fake so I doubt very much that this is real.

• Dave says:

Just a guess but I reckon it runs on denatured ethanol. That fuel burns clean, no flue needed. the “Shower Head” at the top extracts the spent gasses from the top of the cylinder and vents it out the bottom. Meanwhile other vents in the bottom suck in the fresh air.

The “ceramic” column is clever though. I’m putting my money on heat proof glass with a thermochromatic coating on the inside. Basically the old hypercolour tshirts, but the colour shift happens at a higher temperature.

Its not revolutionary, all the components are available right now, and at affordable prices. Well except for that domed heat proof glass… but no doubt the knockoffs will go for pyramids or minimalist cubes, much cheaper to produce… its a very clever combination, I expect I’ll start seeing derivatives in apartments in the near future.

• Anne says:

Um…what exactly is the point?

• Freddie says:

And by which safety norm is it approved?

• Mckinley says:

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and
      include almost all important infos. I’d like to
      see extra posts like this .

• Santos says:

Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg
      it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.

• It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this outstanding blog!
      I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my
      Google account. I look forward to new updates and
      will share this site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

• jamie says: