Moving Clock Makes Your Eyes Pop

Let me tell you a story about the alarm clock. Today I slept right through mine. But not before I woke several times before the correct wake-time. And the alarm was soo far away, and on my cellphone/mobile. If I were able to see the time I had left, this might have been avoided!

The Mac Attack analogues my woes away.

Designer Mac Funamizu brings “Touch ‘n’ Know The Time”:

Reach the clock to find the triangles. If they’re far apart, you have lots of time left to sleep, but if they’re close, you’ll have to get out of the bed pretty soon. – Inspired by the alien bomb count-down in the movie “Independence Day.”

The “ID4″ inspiration raises a question/point: why don’t bombs have tickers on them anymore? Don’t need em. If the clock was riding the [LED wave] and [became brighter when the time was near] -hey, sweet.

Plus, I don’t know that it’s been said before; these illustration skills are [hot]

Designer: Mac Funamizu

• Sameh Khan says:

Great idea to address a common problem. Only one flaw I’m concerned about, and that is the sharpness of the triangles. I currently have one of those alarm clocks which have a button at the top to stop the ringing. I just don’t want to stab myself slamming my hand down on little triangles.

But maybe that’s just me, I don’t know how other people act when they wake up 3 hours before their alarm.

Nice graphics…what do you use?

• Chris Burns says:

direct from the designer, Mac Funamizu:

4. What applications I use to design:

I usually use Google Sketchup to model, Photoshop and Illustrator to finish, but recently I’ve started using Shade, which can cover all those apps.

• jahan says:

Does it cook the eyes, as a clock wise turning to pan clock that I , sorry as eye designed ?

• Henrique Staino says:

Nah.. I didn’t like this. As far as I’m concerned, it’s useless. And much more complicated than just looking at the time when you wake up. If you have the clock close enough to touch it and feel the triangles, it’s close enough for you to grab it and look at the time.

• Sameh Khan says:

Fair enough. I agree with that. The clock does have somewhat of a learning curve, where we have to learn to automatically remember what the triangles represent at 3AM. Whereas, however sleepy we are, we’re still programmed well enough to tell the time by looking at it.

Still, I liked the idea.

• Henrique Staino says:

And frankly, I think I’ll never get the logic behind a clock without numbers.. I doubt there’s ONE person in the entire world who can look at something like this and say the time instantly….

• Lim says:

What’s wrong with you people? To Henrique Staino and Sameh Khan, the triangle is there for you to sense how much time you left before the Alarm Rings.
    The distance or gap between the triangle as they move closer, is for the user to feel how much more time they can still sleep, as the designer mention his scenario during the morning wake up.

Get the idea right people….

• Henrique Staino says:

I got the idea alright. I just didn’t like it. I don’t think it is any better to feel two triangles than it is to look at the time. Can’t i think that way?