Life’s Achilles Heel in a Table

Life’s excesses fueled by today’s culture of acquiring more and more is a social challenge. Designer Shelly Shelly decided to make a social commentary about it in her Achilles Heel table. Playing with the idea of fragility, the design hides gaps and spaces waiting to be discovered and explored.

Designer: Shelly Shelly

Shares 151

• p says:

looks intriguing, the form creates excellent visual depth through the use of negative space and shadow. I also like the element of “exploration” the crevices have to offer, but someone’s going to have to elaborate to me a little more on how this makes a statement about modern material culture and the acquisition of excess.

• nigo's black fr says:

agreed. it looks like a hunk of mdf with diagonal cuts taken out? what makes this special?

• nigo's black friend says:

• CNC Guy says:

I actually saw how this was made and it IS just a big chunk of MDF attached to another perfectly good table. How can your piece be a comment on excess when the design is merely additive. Good design should come from within not be added on like cake frosting.

• zippyflounder says:

the culture basis eludes me, the form is some what interesting and the nooks and crannies are perfect for parking your dust bunny collection.

• Table is looking very nice !! Fantastic Design !!

• Mr Skeptical says:

Looks nice, but I don't see how this makes any kind of statement, nor do I see any actual use for this object. IMHO, back to the drawing board with you.

• Mr Skeptical says: