Foldable City Car by MIT

A team of researchers at the MIT’s media lab are busy developing a prototype of lightweight stackable electric cars that could help overcome the congestion problem. The prototype vehicle dubbed the City Car could be folded and stacked at central sites.

The City Car will be powered by a robotic drive system transformed from the lowly wheel. Each wheel will integrate an electric motor, steering and braking machinery, suspension, and digital controls. All these would be merged into sealed entities that could be snapped on and off.

The City Car will start at the mere press of a button and will boast a handlebar instead of a steering wheel. Lightweight material like Kevlar or carbon fiber will make the body of the car. The notion of the City Car was devised as part of a strategy for plummeting carbon emissions.

Design: MIT [ Via: TreeHugger ]

• Joaquim says:

really nice, that’s what we need, instead of the big SUVs and company…
    please check another cool project lead by the MIT:
    it’s an hybrid ecological car

• Дмитро says:

Вже хочу! І бажано з рамою, як на другому малюнку, що експлуатувати в двох варіантах – відкритому, і закритому, з дахом. Відкритий – для прогулянок в сонячну днину, закритий – коли дощить…

• Дмитро says:

• stephen russell says:

Models Id add:
    Sedan
    Panel truck
    X over SUV
    Sport Coupe.

Ideal for locales like Urban Europe cities,
    HI State, PR, Key West FL, Israel, Tokyo, Singapore, Osaka, SF CA, Sacramento CA, Davis CA,

Id Rent one or Timeshare one.

• Pol62 says:

Imagine that nobody harbors racial animus or prejudice. ,

• yustoni says:

well, that is good design. ok, I am is Indonesian who have a dream make car with small machine about 125cc, who can help me
    contact me

• yustoni says:

contact me

• Sebastian says:

Great choice of subject enthusiastic. Your blog post Yanko Design Foldable City Car by MIT
    has inspired me sufficiently to want to produce more myself.

Thanks!

• Your style is unique in comparison to other folks I’ve read stuff from.

Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess
    I will just book mark this page.