Co-founded in 2015 by Daniel Wiegand, Sebastian Born, Patrick Nathen, and Matthias Meiner, Lilium GmbH is based near Munich, Germany – an internationally renowned high-tech hub for mobility. The founding team met while studying at the Technical University of Munich where they shared a common vision of revolutionizing the way we all travel. And revolutionize they have. Today, Lilium has attracted more than $100Million in funding and employs more than 300 people, bringing together a wealth of experience and expertise from across the world. Every day Lilium is pushing the very boundaries of technology and customer experience to deliver something that has never been done before. What they do there is hard, but then very few things worth achieving are easy. An insane brownie point is the fact they received the 2019 Red Dot Luminary Award for the design of the Lilium Jet. They’re extremely passionate about diversity, they want you to come as you are, no matter your background. If you share Lilium Aviation’s desire to push the limits of what’s possible, then Apply Now!
Winner of the 2019 Red Dot Luminary Award, the 5 seater Lilium Jet is something that has never existed before. It’s iconic design and pioneering technology make it an air taxi that will revolutionize the way we travel. Here comes the new mobility service for the modern, urbanized age!
The product team creates everything that the customer sees, touches and feels about Lilium. The team is building and optimizing the whole customer-facing experience and it’s their responsibility to integrate the product design of Lilium’s infrastructure, service and their core product, the Lilium Jet. Lilium also ensures that their colleagues who work at the landing pads or who pilot and maintain the aircrafts are taken care of with high-end employer products so that they’re well placed to deliver their ultimate goal of creating a magical and fully-integrated customer experience. Therefore they need a team player, someone who is passionate about all aspects of design and creativity, and is eager to make the impossible possible; a Senior Product Designer to conduct and implement the design strategy and language for the Lilium jet and its product features.
- Understand and put customer needs first, applying your thinking and decision process around the design space of Lilium. This will include exterior, interior, package, materials, color and trim and lighting design of our entire eco-system
- Create exceptional exterior designs and verify those with the latest advancements in design tools, including VR, AR, CAS and clay modeling
- Create world-class interior designs, which represent Lilium’s values that create a truly magical experience for our customers
- Understand and integrate ergonomic concepts
- Design Class-A surfaces together with our CAS modeling team
- Apply strong knowledge of legislation and engineering requirements to achieve design feasibility
- Demonstrate strong respect for project timing schedules and budget constraints
- Work on any ad hoc related projects or tasks provided by management
- S., B.A., M.S., M.A. or similar in product design, transportation design or similar with an exceptional track record of various design projects aimed at real and imaginary world solutions
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in product design or transportation design, preferably for a major international technology company, lifestyle company or design agency
- Excellent skills in exterior and interior hand sketching and photoshop renderings and the ability to model and proof your design in 3D by using Alias and/or Maya, Rhino or CATIA
- You have developed product concepts and accompanied them from the initial sketch phase over the prototype phase to market-ready phase. During this process, you were integrated in all facets of the design decision development, including package, engineering loops, CAS, clay phase, concept, and prototyping.
- Strong conceptual thinking, ideally also gathered experience in advance design projects
- The ability to adapt to a new formal language and create an outstanding design within that language
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work cohesively in a design team and interdepartmentally, as well as autonomously
- Target-oriented, highly driven work style with analytical and creative problem-solving skills are required
- You are highly proactive and like to challenge the status quo together with us
- Fluent English language skills are essential. German and other languages would be beneficial
The Lilium HQ is designed to make working there as comfortable as possible. They’ve got the basics covered with ample parking and free transport links to local stations, but it’s also a fun place to work, with shared working spaces, rooms with sofas and hammocks, and a rooftop terrace where you can watch planes taking off all day long. Finally, Lilium is a big believer in the idea that your health is central to your happiness, so they’ve invested in providing an extensive gym, free yoga sessions, bikes you can borrow to cycle around their campus, a relaxation room and three free meals a day.
How to Apply
In order to build a world-class team, Lilium welcomes people from all over the world. From free language tuition to relocation assistance and visa sponsorship, they’ll support you on every step of your journey. Send them your up-to-date portfolio with a cover letter. Within the application process, you will also have to fulfill a design task.
Check out all the latest design openings on Yanko Design Job Board