Spin Recharging

A close cousin of the Mechanical Mobile, the revOlve cellphone loves to spin. A notch up as far as physical design goes, the main differentiating factor are the detachable components that can be upgraded and recycled when necessary. I love the sleek holster and the way you can buckle the phone to your waist loop. Let’s spin and wait for the magical mechanics to take over!

Designers: Da Deng, Chandra Baker, Chris Platt & Jason Schuler

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

• engineering_thoughts says:

It's going to take a lot of spinning to recharge that battery – really not a feasible amount of power can be generated from such a light mass spinning in a small radius. I do appreciate the exploration – I remember fleshing out a kinetically charged cell phone in my university days (the physics doesn't really hold up without significantly increasing mass) 🙂

That aside – why are over 150 million mobile phones disposed of annually? Easy – because the user bought a new one. This design doesn't really address that. The RevOlve phone presented here has a battery, so that's not why people dispose of their phones. There's a generator inside – but I don't think people are disposing their phones because they can't find a charge source.

Why does someone dispose of a phone? The answer is simple – they got a new one. One with more features, higher efficiency, updated design, etc. The problem isn't the phone design – it's the user wanting a new phone. If the users want a new products (including mobile phones) and are willing to pay for them, designers and manufacturers will provide them.

• engineering_thoughts says:

• Jonathan Mosol says:

Actually a very cool concept.
    But I think you'll be hard pressed to find a "timeless" piece of technology.

Most of the excitement from technology comes from the "new" ness.
    Once you've become accustomed to it, you lose that magical feeling.

• Jonathan Mosol says:

Actually a very cool concept.
    But I think you'll be hard pressed to find a “timeless” piece of technology.

Most of the excitement from technology comes from the “new” ness.
    Once you've become accustomed to it, you lose that magical feeling.

• First of all neat concept and nice execution, but I don't think it's accomplished what you think it will..(as mentioned) spin-charging doesn't really work, and there's nothing unique about it that makes it worth not disposing of. Even if it works fine in 18 months, someone will come out with a thinner/faster/better "spin phone" and that will be the new thing to have.

I *DO* like what the hole does in terms of interaction–belt loops, wall hook, etc. That's a nice push of the "soap bar" phone form that I don't think the industry tries as much as it should. So kudos there 🙂

Honestly I've come to believe that cell phones factor as more "fashion" than design these days, with all of the insanity that goes with that territory–we all go out and buy the coolest hippest phone we can, and then suddenly we HAVE to get the cooler, hipper version. Remember when the Razr was *the* phone to have? (just…trust me. That happened once). Those things still work, but no one would be caught dead with one these days. Honestly, they've got, like, what, 1 G?

• First of all neat concept and nice execution, but I don't think it's accomplished what you think it will..(as mentioned) spin-charging doesn't really work, and there's nothing unique about it that makes it worth not disposing of. Even if it works fine in 18 months, someone will come out with a thinner/faster/better “spin phone” and that will be the new thing to have.

I *DO* like what the hole does in terms of interaction–belt loops, wall hook, etc. That's a nice push of the “soap bar” phone form that I don't think the industry tries as much as it should. So kudos there 🙂

Honestly I've come to believe that cell phones factor as more “fashion” than design these days, with all of the insanity that goes with that territory–we all go out and buy the coolest hippest phone we can, and then suddenly we HAVE to get the cooler, hipper version. Remember when the Razr was *the* phone to have? (just…trust me. That happened once). Those things still work, but no one would be caught dead with one these days. Honestly, they've got, like, what, 1 G?

• powers says:

Nice concept. Had one of the original Seiko self charging watches which someone stole. Loved it.

• powers says:

• Adam says:

this was done a few years back. Ben Pritz was the designer. Old concept.

• Adam says:

this was done a few years back. Ben Pritz was the designer. Old concept.

• shushu says:

another failure.

the core idea of this "design" is that spinning will provide enough power to recharge a phone.
    the amount of power generated by "spinning" is so small compared to actual power generated. and no explanation about actual spinning mechanism? you just spin it and it charges?

why not focus on actual focus of the design? and it even looks horrible.

pathetic.

• shushu says:

another failure.

the core idea of this “design” is that spinning will provide enough power to recharge a phone.
    the amount of power generated by “spinning” is so small compared to actual power generated. and no explanation about actual spinning mechanism? you just spin it and it charges?

why not focus on actual focus of the design? and it even looks horrible.

pathetic.

• I love it!!! great idea i want it. Maybe it will power my car lol

• I love it!!! great idea i want it. Maybe it will power my car lol

• Old stuff, any way thanks for the information

• funniest thing you wil lever see

• air max says:

Im getting a tiny issue. I cant get my reader to pick up your feed, Im using google reader by the way.