Sniffing Out Allergens

Those who have severe food allergies know that  a single bite of the wrong substance could be their last. This home food scanner known as the Allergen Beagle enables users to screen foods for potential allergenic contents with a straightforward process so that allergen sufferers feel some amount of relief from constantly being at risk of an allergic reaction.

Currently, the system is able to detect peanut, shellfish, gluten, lactose, hazelnut, egg, soy, almonds, and sesame by following these steps:

1. Collect small samples from the food to be screened for allergens

2. Select test tubes needed (one test-tube needed per allergen to be tested)

3. Fill tubes with the sample

4. Insert the test tube into the Allergen Beagle

5. Allow automated process to complete procedure

6. During the procedure a bright light elicits the process

7. When the light turns off, the test can be read: if the Test line colours dark, and the Control line colours dark, the allergen is present

Designer: Sebastian Goudsmit

• I like it. Though it seems a bit bulky for taking out to eat where I would most often need this.

• Gordon Cumming says:

I like the concept, however its almost too specific.
    Also with its size this could only be used as a home based item, and in these environments the contents of foods are more likely to be know. A fantastic idea though.

• quark178 says:

Nice design. Those with serious allergies would use this most likely.

• quark178 says:

Idea for a followup concept: A metallic rod that scans your food and tells you the harmful ingrediants that you have programmed to be harmful to you. Though the science behind it would be tough, I am sure it could work. It takes your idea, in a since, and makes it more applicable outside of the house, as Ruben Rodriguez II complained about.

• Perexoc says:

Si realmente funciona, ser un alivio para muchas familias.
    Me gustara probar su eficacia, si es posible.

• anon says:

I've gotta ask the inevitable question – how is this different than reading the packaged goods ingredients and avoiding unknown foods? I also have to wonder just how this would be able to detect specific ingredients. The current technology uses mass spectrometry and that only identifies the chemical structures available, not specific things like peanuts or eggs (which are made of a multitude of chemical structures).

• @BenJHudson says:

My main concern with this concept (aside from the lack of portability) is the aesthetic. I feel like this product looks too clinical and intimidating to be a home product. If i was going to put this into my home, I would want something a little more comforting.

• Thankfulness to my father who told me concerning this webpage, this
    blog is genuinely remarkable.