Power to The Fast Tracks

T-box is a power generator that harnesses wind-energy when a train moves across the tracks. The box kind of merges with the sleepers on the tracks and houses all the components necessary to harness, store and supply converted power. What makes this project really cool is that it doesn’t rely on nature to be a source, instead it optimizes a human activity.

T-box is a Liteon Winning Project

Designers: Qian Jiang & Ale Leonetti Luparini

T-BOX-2010_liteonaward from jiangqian on Vimeo.

• DJ Supreme says:

Not trying to take credit, but I actually invented this back in 2006, and even worked with a master electrician trying to develop a model, but we simply didn't have the money or resources get it off the ground. All goes to show you who you know is as important as what you know. I hope this becomes very viable and successful!!

• Mike Barnard says:

Having seen the challenges and costs associated with track maintenance necessary to keep trains on the tracks with basic necessary componentry — rails, ties, ballast, etc — I'm challenged to think that anyone that maintains tracks would want to put anything else on the rail bed that wasn't absolutely necessary to safe, cost-efficient train passage.

These videos show some of the brute force tech used to maintain lower speed rail beds. I'm sure rail maintenance on 450Kph trains requires much more precision and care. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCtP3I-Mes&fehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvANXzD5-8&fe

Cheers,
    Mike

• Eros says:

1. considering a traffic of 2 trains/hour, and a train taking 10 seconds of passing over a fixed point, such a turbine would only be useful 20 seconds per hour, amunting to a mere 8 minutes of use per day.
    2. considering the distance between 2 such devices to be 1 meter, a kilometer would require 1000 such devices that only function 8 minutes a day. at what cost?

I believe the amount of energy saved by a one-time optimisation of the aerodynamics of a train could surpass by much the amount of energy produced by such an absurdly expensive and impossibly maintainable million-windmill system.

Plus, the carbon footprint of producing, installing and maintaining such delicate devices (and maintenance alone could be an essential factor in the long run) can easily surpass BY MUCH the energy potentially produced by such turbines. So, ecologically speaking, it's an absurdity.

In a nutshell, to me, this proposal painfully resembles the logic of the child who says: “mom, I want to help you: I'll cary your bag for you, if you carry me in your arms”

• Eros says:

I rushed with my comment – the creator's math, I notice now, is a bit more lenient. But just as wrong, in my oppinion.

• Abdullah says:

T-BOX is a registered mark in TURKEY (Trkiye).
    You should change your useless “thin's” name.

• Ken says:

Could this be adapted to fit on the roofs or top of the trunk, maybe even the undercarriage (wherever the wind forces would dictate) of electric cars to help them recharge as they're moving… in effect creating almost a zero impact vehicle?

Great stuff!

• Alex says:

Excuse me, but your idea is utterly wrong.

You would maximize the vehicle's impact, not bring it close to zero, since:

a) the device would act as an aerodynamic brake;
      b) that being so, and given that such devices can achieve, at best, c. 33% efficiency, you would in fact dissipate 2/3 or more of the devices nominal power.

In fact, as Eros has hinted already, this whole scheme is ludicrous. It is no more than a scheme to transfer MONEY from the train company, the governments or the citizens to the enterprise exploring the boxes.

It goes to shoe that a little less emotion and a bit more scientific knowledge can never hurt you when examining such issues.

Alex

• Sigmar says:

What about thermodynamics? these things would increase drag in the moving train, making net energy gain zero.

• Gite Frejus says:

This surely makes perfect sense!!!

• All around well written piece!!!

• This definitely makes perfect sense!!

• You are truly right with this one!

• bhupesh says:

which type of genrator use in t-box

• Nic Windley says:

An interesting concept for harvesting latent energy that might otherwise go to waste. Although it does have some drawbacks.

• You already know thus significantly with regards to this matter, made me in my opinion consider it from so many various angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it is one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. All the time handle it up!

• Many fruits and vegetables are ripe when they turn yellow.
    You also don’t want to download apps that will mess up your operating system.

Actress Emma Roberts and her boyfriend Chord Overstreet return to their
    car after having lunch in West Hollywood.

• I know this web page gives quality depending content and other material, is there any other web page which offers these information in quality?